Cleveland 588 Fairway Woods Review

This club seems to be a winner. Thanks for the quick responses.
It's been my favorite club in my bag since I took it out of the wrapper. I'm hard pondering adding the 5 wood as I enjoy the 3 so much.

It's been my favorite club in my bag since I took it out of the wrapper. I'm hard pondering adding the 5 wood as I enjoy the 3 so much.

and it helps you BOMB it off the tee

Wish I could see this in person come this weekend.............*sigh* #0-2

Better for me when the ball is sitting up, but still easy enough to hit that I don't think twice about pulling it (I have the 15.5° 3 wood).
Pete, which shaft did you go with?

Pete, which shaft did you go with?
Stock stiff. Liked it so much I bought a red tie for my Bertha and haven't looked back.

Stock stiff. Liked it so much I bought a red tie for my Bertha and haven't looked back.

I hear ya! I may go X stiff if that's the choice offered, but the red tie is a great stock shaft

Can anyone tell me how these fairway woods perform out of the rough. I have the 5w. I assume its not like the mashie fairway wood performance out of rough, but I was just curious.

I was able to hit the 7-wood at PGA SS last weekend while testing drivers and was very impressed with it. I had a Mashie 7-wood which was very easy to hit, but I think this club (588 fairway) is easier to hit and it is about 10 yards longer than the Mashie 7-wood. Could be the fact that it has a little longer shaft than the Mashie. I did also hit the 588, 7-wood earlier this year at a demo day and it was great from some pretty sketchie lies I have myself. I have not hit the 5-wood, but have hit the 3-wood and 3+ wood and both three woods are good as well. The 3+ wood is a very good tee club and has a very penetrating ball flight. I think the shaft is pretty good as well.

I was able to hit the 7-wood at PGA SS last weekend while testing drivers and was very impressed with it. I had a Mashie 7-wood which was very easy to hit, but I think this club (588 fairway) is easier to hit and it is about 10 yards longer than the Mashie 7-wood. Could be the fact that it has a little longer shaft than the Mashie. I did also hit the 588, 7-wood earlier this year at a demo day and it was great from some pretty sketchie lies I have myself. I have not hit the 5-wood, but have hit the 3-wood and 3+ wood and both three woods are good as well. The 3+ wood is a very good tee club and has a very penetrating ball flight. I think the shaft is pretty good as well.
Wow this is good to hear. The Mashie 7w was one of the only woods in had success with off the deck. ..easier and longer works for me

Wow this is good to hear. The Mashie 7w was one of the only woods in had success with off the deck. ..easier and longer works for me

MD441 and I'm a hybrid guy. I couldn't/didn't hit the mashies FW from the fairway, but these (even the 14*) are very good from the fairway, at least for me. The 14* is also an excellent club from the tee. I would think that one could add .5" to the shaft making it 44" and have a very good "mini" driver. I would suggest you have Cleveland do this and have it swing weighted to your preference. Just a thought.

Thanks for the info, you want to take your Mashie 7 wood back that I bought from you so I can fund the 588 7 wood purchase. :angel: **Im kidding, really**

Thanks for the info, you want to take your Mashie 7 wood back that I bought from you so I can fund the 588 7 wood purchase. :angel: **Im kidding, really**

How has the Mashie 7-wood worked for you?
I'm curious the gap between the Mashie 7-wood and Altitude 4-hyron in distance and which is easier to use?

I dont have a greaet swing, so Im sure the clubs is good. I had success with it off the tee, but struggled a bit off the fairway. I have chosen to right now go with the ALT 4hyron cause it strike it better. I cant get the 3 hybo up in the air enough though, so I am looking for a 5 wood to fit that bill. That is why Im trying out this 5 wood.
I'm curious the gap between the Mashie 7-wood and Altitude 4-hyron in distance and which is easier to use?

To answer your question about distance, I think the 7 wood is a little longer, but the 4 hyron isnt far off (maybe 5 yards or so). I also bent my 4 to 20* to help with this situation.

7 wood is tempting, especially with my apparent inability to control the hybrids at the moment.

I'll think about this, but I still think I'm going hybo. Either way, thanks for the thoughts!

7 wood is tempting, especially with my apparent inability to control the hybrids at the moment.

I am a hybrid guy and I do hit the 588 hybrid very well, but these fairway woods are very easy to hit from the fairway, even the 14* at least it was for me. I have not hit the 18* 5-wood, but the other woods are great and I would assume it is as well. Hawk you might consider the 7-wood for your MC bag, not sure how it relates to the hybrids distance wise, but since they have lengthened the fairway wood shaft I would assume the 7-wood is probably about equivalent to the 18* hybrid in these 588 clubs. I know for me the 588, 7-wood is about equal to my 18* Mashie hybrid.

That would be just about perfect distance wise. Not sure if these will be what we play or not, but it's a definite ponder. Wouldn't be if I could keep the 588 from hooking, but it seems like I'm failing at that pretty badly at the moment. Would probably hit it higher than a similarly lofted hybrid as well.

How many FWs is everyone thinking for the MC bag? a 3/4W and maybe a 5W? Or just one FW and more hybrids?

How many FWs is everyone thinking for the MC bag? a 3/4W and maybe a 5W? Or just one FW and more hybrids?
For me it will depend on what our options are since there's a ton of unknown right now

It depends on what is available, which is sort of a cop-out answer, but the truth.

I am thinking a 3w and either a 7w/3h at this point. Probably a higher lofted hybrid in there as well.

It depends on what is available, which is sort of a cop-out answer, but the truth.

I am thinking a 3w and either a 7w/3h at this point. Probably a higher lofted hybrid in there as well.
I'm back on the 7w ponder after discussions in here

I'm back on the 7w ponder after discussions in here

Looking foward to seeing if there are any options for fairways with a slightly shallower face. That would be more appealing to me in a club that I use primarily off the turf. Either way, I'm missing a pretty sizeable gap right now, so 3h/7w seems to be a must-have.

If you go 7w would you go 4h or something too?

If you go 7w would you go 4h or something too?

4h or 5h most likely. Unless the only option was 588 hybrid. In that case I'd have to do some heavy thinking.

Back