Rickie Fowler - US Open Payne Tribute

Very nice gesture.

I really like this move by Rickie, very classy and I'll be rooting for him because of it. The flat bill doesn't really work with the outfit, but I suppose it's the thought that counts.

That's awesome, well done RF. Great tribute. Love those socks.

This is really cool. It's nice to see today's athlete pay tribute to the legends of the past. Payne may not be "legendary" for what he accomplished on the course, but he was a legendary person and it's cool to see this today. Ill be pulling for him this week

I'm with v.man. Drop the hat and it will be even better.

I like it and it's a nice, classy move by RF. Maybe this will start to bring that look back a little bit.

One of my favorites now honoring my favorite from my childhood. Doesn't get much better than this

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

I like it. Very classy, but I like Rickie Fowler anyway. I hope he does well and has a great career. I didn't even notice the flat brim until it was pointed out, but even then it didn't seem out of place to me. This is supposed to be a "tip of the hat" or a "nod of the head" type of gesture, not an actual imitation. At least that's how I take it. So it's Rickie giving Payne a nod, but still being Rickie, which I think is even better. There's also an older thread on here that talks about Rickie being one of the biggest impact players on the tour, not due to his play, but his marketability. I think that this falls right in line with that frame of thought as well. Tournament hasn't even started and he is toward the center of attention of the tournament and like many of us on here, people will be rooting for him because of this nod to Payne Stewart.

Total class move by Rickie - absolutely love the gesture.

Love it. I was truly hoping someone would do this. Even better that it's a guy I like.

Rickie Fowler - US Open Payne Tribute

Love seeing this from Rickie.

He has style and flair just like Payne did. Probably the perfect player to do this.

Last edited:
I just found a new player to root for this week! I admire Payne a lot and this is a great move by Rickie.

Love seeing this from Ricky.

He has style and flair just like Payne did. Probably the perfect player to do this.

Totally agree with this statement.

I hope he wins. Well done RF!

I like it. Very classy, but I like Rickie Fowler anyway. I hope he does well and has a great career. I didn't even notice the flat brim until it was pointed out, but even then it didn't seem out of place to me. This is supposed to be a "tip of the hat" or a "nod of the head" type of gesture, not an actual imitation. At least that's how I take it. So it's Rickie giving Payne a nod, but still being Rickie, which I think is even better. There's also an older thread on here that talks about Rickie being one of the biggest impact players on the tour, not due to his play, but his marketability. I think that this falls right in line with that frame of thought as well. Tournament hasn't even started and he is toward the center of attention of the tournament and like many of us on here, people will be rooting for him because of this nod to Payne Stewart.

I agree here. I think people need to worry less about the brim of Rickie's cap or the were his ears are in relation to his hat. Let Rickie be Rickie and pat him on the back for this classy move.

Very cool of Ricky to do this.

Kudos to Fowler for doing that. I was wondering if someone in the field would do it this week in honor of Payne. As for the hat, would it be better if he had the Payne style cap? Sure, but honestly who cares. He's still out there with the knickers and high socks which is more than majority of the field is doing.

great gesture by Rickie

Great gesture by Rickie.

Lose the flatbrim though.

I was really happy when i saw Fowler, while watching "Payne" the other night I posted somewhere here & tweeted I really hope someone wears Knickers to Honor Payne & I am really glad someone did....

Very Cool. Well Done. Great to see a young player paying tribute to an icon like payne. To me it shows that he appreciates the history of the game. I hope he dresses like that all weekend.

Love seeing him do this! Very classy.

JM

Yes!!!!!!!! I was so hoping someone would do that. Very classy Ricky

Back