judging a golf clubs performance on appearance

That's not how I remember that exchange going. But oh well
It wasn't to a tee but certainly not worth causing a fuss over. Again, not worth arguing about but the entire thread got hijacked and sidetracked midway through. Please....can we leave the past in the past. I'm almost sorry I brought it up. Thank you and enjoy the open....Mickelson just had a sweet up and down.

Yeah I don't make up some Internet excuse like unforgiving irons will force me to be a better ballstriker.

Yeah, that's the thing I don't understand - the middle of the club is the middle of the club. You should be trying to hit it there no matter what style iron you're hitting. I've never had trouble telling where my miss was on a GI club, though. Of course, a muscleback REALLY lets you know.

It wasn't to a tee but certainly not worth causing a fuss over.

You remember the exact opposite of what happened. And spewing misinformation and calling it fact is something that thp's editor and writers don't care for.

Sure it does in many cases. You're obviously an outlier along with a small portion of people out there, but having played golf with a whole bunch of THP'rs, I have a hard time seeing the rationale behind statements like that. At least when it comes to actually playing in real life.

I get it. We all have aesthetic preferences. I do too and found a set of irons that sort of meet that need along with some performance needs. In a perfect world I'd be playing something a little sexier though. I'm not saying that looks don't bear some importance, but I also think the 'I need to like what I'm looking at to be confident' is often times used a way to justify a poor equipment choice.

I didn't cover that in my post but I fully agree with your last statement. All I am saying is that if you don't like the appearance at all, the club isn't going to work for you as well as if you liked the looks. You are correct in finding the balance between looks and performance. I played Nicklaus VCG's for a long time because they worked well for me and I liked the looks despite not being a top line brand others played. Now that I am getting back into golf after a long layoff (and stolen clubs) I am using Rocketbladez for the forgiveness factor. I hate the thick topline and am not one who likes much offset but I need forgiveness and in general, the clubs don't look too bad. Compromise.

You remember the exact opposite of what happened. And spewing misinformation and calling it fact is something that thp's editor and writers don't care for.
Obviously it still bothers you. I could say some things but after getting some supporting inbox messages I know where I stand with THP. You seem to have difficulty with me. And for the record....I'm not "spewing" hate or misinformation. Nuff said....you can be hung up on it and let it affect your day but sorry that I can't remember the dialog word for word. If my opinion, and it is opinion, has such a negative affect on you perhaps you should seek proffensional help in all seriousness. Peace and God bless.

I base my decision on what I like to look at and what performs for me. I've found that it's not very hard to find both attributes for myself.

Yeah I don't make up some Internet excuse like unforgiving irons will force me to be a better ballstriker.

I look at a situation (a very unique one) like the MC where an 18 handicapper (at the time) is playing clubs designed for a mid to low handicapper (DPCs) and at the time when I was a 30+ handicapper, looking at what I was going to playing, forced me to be a better ball striker. It's the .01% of situations, but it absolutely forced me to practice harder so that I wouldn't look like a fool gaming them.

Always feel if iSUk, I should at least like the look of my clubs ... apparently after several years of trying ... I can manage to bring any club, regardless of looks, through the impact zone with an open club face ...

Also I discovered I have golf ADD ... any shiny new club attracts my attention, and I have to have it, regardless of the performance of my current club ...

Just got back from the post office and picked up my new irons. They are pretty. The Forgan IWD2 4-SW. The black club heads and green grips just pop. Another example of irons I bought for the looks. Check it out

...the time when I was a 30+ handicapper, looking at what I was going to playing, forced me to be a better ball striker. It's the .01% of situations, but it absolutely forced me to practice harder so that I wouldn't look like a fool gaming them.

I think there is some truth to the idea that players irons CAN make you a better ball striker (not WILL). I took a step back switching to AP2's from GI irons, but put in a lot of time with them and am really happy. I don't want to look like an idiot on the course either. These clubs are harder to play than a lot of GI options so I found myself working even harder on the range and more dedicated to lessons.

I'm sure that if I switched to GI irons that I would play to a lower handicap in a shorter amount of time, but I like a challenge and like the looks of the AP2's. I also think that AP2's are on the forgiving end of players irons.

Still got the plastic on the clubheads. Don't you love moments like these. Like a kid on xmas morning. Loll. I need help

I have to say that, performance aside, I really love the look of a classic blade. Mizzuno, Titleist, whatever. It's almost like the harder to hit well the more I will like it.
Yep, this is me as well

I think there is some truth to the idea that players irons CAN make you a better ball striker (not WILL). I took a step back switching to AP2's from GI irons, but put in a lot of time with them and am really happy. I don't want to look like an idiot on the course either. These clubs are harder to play than a lot of GI options so I found myself working even harder on the range and more dedicated to lessons.

I'm sure that if I switched to GI irons that I would play to a lower handicap in a shorter amount of time, but I like a challenge and like the looks of the AP2's. I also think that AP2's are on the forgiving end of players irons.

But at the end of the day, it was your practice that got you there, and not the clubs right? Had you practiced the same amount of time with GI irons, you'd probably be in the same place. I do understand what you mean about the clubs forcing the practice, though.

But at the end of the day, it was your practice that got you there, and not the clubs right? Had you practiced the same amount of time with GI irons, you'd probably be in the same place. I do understand what you mean about the clubs forcing the practice, though.

Yes, it's the practice/lessons and not the club head. I know if I were using GI irons I would be better off scoring wise, but I want to continue to be challenged and continue to improve.

I do think the shaft in these AP2's have helped me with my swing a lot though, and that shafts are very important in determining the right fit for a golfer.

I used to be heavily in the camp that said looks didn't matter at all. I am now in the other camp and that probably isn't a good thinh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For all the years I have golfed, I absolutely hate a "chunky" top line - didn't matter if they performed well or not - aesthetically speaking I couldn't bring myself to hit them (think Callaway irons)

I personally love the look of a black iron head - love the look of the Altitudes color but it is just a bit too chunky looking for me.

White wood heads are great - wish they offered the Callaway in that offering but the blue flake just POPS under the sun. I loved the look of the SLDR in white, but the numbers just weren't that great for me - I really really wanted to like it but the Callaway out shined it in every aspect.

In addition, I think the thing I am most picky about is a putter head - have always been a fan of a half-mallett or a blade style - I have rolled the Cameron Futura X a few rounds ago and while distance control was amazing, it just didn't suit my eye well.

Obviously it still bothers you. I could say some things but after getting some supporting inbox messages I know where I stand with THP. You seem to have difficulty with me. And for the record....I'm not "spewing" hate or misinformation. Nuff said....you can be hung up on it and let it affect your day but sorry that I can't remember the dialog word for word. If my opinion, and it is opinion, has such a negative affect on you perhaps you should seek proffensional help in all seriousness. Peace and God bless.

I was just going to ignore this, but forget all that.

Nobody cares if you don't like Altitudes. I've said about 50 times that they don't work for me. Last time was today in fact. We also have an a12OS thread that is something like 150 pages long fwiw.

The issue was that 1) you were promoting goods for the company you work for that were similar to the Altitudes that you were discounting. It wasn't the first time you'd done it and it came across sceevy 2) spreading misinformation and giving bad advice to a high handicapper that his game would get worse by using them 3) accused me of photoshopping to prove a point.

You brought it back up by the way. Not me or blugold. If you want it in the past, then leave it in the past. Playing the martyr and devising revisionist history is just going to cause more issues like this.

I personally have never understood this line of thinking. Might be just me, but I like to play what makes the game easier for me.

But then again as you can see I am brand loyal to some extent, so go figure. Maybe I need to reconsider my initial statement.

I personally have never understood this line of thinking. Might be just me, but I like to play what makes the game easier for me.

But then again as you can see I am brand loyal to some extent, so go figure. Maybe I need to reconsider my initial statement.

To me it's like cheating. Like using an aluminum bat. Different strokes for different folks.

Who knows, if I hit a rut and can't improve after a long period of time maybe I'll give in to GI irons again. It's just not happening any time soon.

To me it's like cheating. Like using an aluminum bat. Different strokes for different folks.

Who knows, if I hit a rut and can't improve after a long period of time maybe I'll give in to GI irons again. It's just not happening any time soon.

Could be an age and life cycle thing too. I've been playing golf for almost 40 years and I'm not getting younger and I'm honest with myself that I'm not going to practice all that much, so my outlook on the situation. I can understand if someone is young or has just been playing golf a few years and their outlook is all on the upside.

I would say to the "it's like cheating". If you shoot par "cheating" then advance to the next level of club. Just my take.

I was just going to ignore this, but forget all that.

Nobody cares if you don't like Altitudes. I've said about 50 times that they don't work for me. Last time was today in fact. We also have an a12OS thread that is something like 150 pages long fwiw.

The issue was that 1) you were promoting goods for the company you work for that were similar to the Altitudes that you were discounting. It wasn't the first time you'd done it and it came across sceevy 2) spreading misinformation and giving bad advice to a high handicapper that his game would get worse by using them 3) accused me of photoshopping to prove a point.

You brought it back up by the way. Not me or blugold. If you want it in the past, then leave it in the past. Playing the martyr and devising revisionist history is just going to cause more issues like this.
I'll take the high road....fair enough and God bless. The US Open is in full swing and I have been blessed with a very comfortable life. Enjoy your rounds this week my friend. Peace.Btw I love your set up. The AP1s with the KBS stock are some of the best all around irons on planet earth.

There are many different ways to become a better ball striker. Practicing with a club that has a small club head, can promote a more consistent swing as you don't have the lateral space on the club face that you get with a GI iron. I'm not saying this would work for everybody, but I can certain see the merits of this line of thinking. If you are able to hit a club with a smaller club head more consistent, then you are delivering the club through the impact zone more consistently.

Now, having said that I don't think that it's something that one should rely on to become a better ball striker. I think taking lessons with a professional teacher is the best way to accomplish that. But I do think that working with a small club head could be beneficial while you are working on your swing.

Just my opinion though.

I'll go with Sposeynumbers life philosophy. As long as it performs, give me a solid 5 every time.

I wish I could say that performance is all that mattress but I would be lying. I have to like the aesthetics to buy clubs. That being said, I think the prettiest clubs around are Mizuno and Titliest blades and there is no way I am buying them. I am just not good enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For me, aesthetics are important. I don't want to be looking down at address seeing a club that I find "ugly." Performance is certainly our #1 goal, but with so many different OEM's and club choices there's no reason not to find a club both appealing in appearance and performance. And of course, beauty is in the eye of the golfer.

I agree on all points!

Back