Green speed, what kind of speeds do you prefer?

I can adapt to either as long as the speed is consistent on all of the greens. I hate when some are faster than others.

I like in the neighborhood of 11, but I do not care about the speed of the green as long as the putts hold their line and roll true.

My best putting day ever was on greens that were 10. I had no idea how slow my regular muni course greens played until I played there. I could only imagine how fast 11 and 12s must feel.

Love the 10-12 greens...especially when they're smooth and you just have to get it on line.

I prefer my green speed on the faster side. It allows me to just put a smooth stroke on it. When playing on slower greens I feel I like I have to "hit it" to get it there

I played Wine Valley in Walla Walla, Washington a couple of weeks ago. They told me the Stimpmeter measured 13.
Those were the fastest greens I have ever played. It took about 5 holes to get the speed and line figured out.
I do like the faster greens, but those were a bit tough.

I prefer the faster greens. Just get it started where you want and let it roll. For me, anytime you can play less break and not have to hit the ball hard is a good thing.

They can be very frustrating if you miss however. What could have been an easy 12 inch tap-in turns into a 3 or 4 footer that you have to work at.

I prefer greens that are between 9-11. Any slower and distance control becomes an issue.

10 ish works for me

Firm and fast. My home track is usually in the 8-9 range, but when it's tournament time they'll crank it up to 10-11 which is my preference. 11 on a firm green is pretty quick.

I don't know much about the ratings but as long as it's consistent from green to green I seem to be fine. For some reason however the faster the greens the better I seem to putt.

I prefer them speedy but more importantly I like them smooth. I'd bet a lot of us are fooled by green speeds.

I don't know much about the ratings but as long as it's consistent from green to green I seem to be fine. For some reason however the faster the greens the better I seem to putt.

I agree completely. Home course has some significant elevation change (for relatively flat Ohio). The low greens can be soggy & slow, the elevated greens look like Pinehurst y'day. Tap it and watch it roll off the edge...

Speaking of which, I know its the US Open, but a couple pins were clearing sitting on ridges y'day. Dried out on one side, green on the other side. Heard the announcer say, You have to hammer it up the hill through the lush part, then get it to stop without any pace carrying passed the hole.

I prefer fast greens for putting, USUALLY I have a good touch and can read greens pretty well so the fast greens are easier for me to get the roll on line and let the green do it's work. On the other hand it's hit or miss chipping on fast greens with me, so it's a double edged sword.

Do you guys carry your own stimpmeters? How do you know the green speeds?

Whatever the speeds were at Indy. I was putting so much better there than my recent performance would indicate. The speed of those greens just matched what my body felt. They were on the fast side but not to the point where you had to be tentative with any putt on the course

I like faster greens. I have a much easier time with distance on them, probably because I don't have to swing as hard.

Some courses display them.
I've played some fairly pricey courses and have never seen green speed posted. Oh, and I like faster.

I'll add another vote for smooth and consistent greens. I can deal with just about any speed as long as each green is the same and they are rolling smoothly.

I still prefer faster (I also have no idea on stimp) greens so that I can have a shorter putting stroke thus giving a smaller window to screw it up...theoretically, lol.

I typically putt my best on greens in the 9-10 range.

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

I like quick greens but I only get to play them 3 months a year. I think 12 is what my home course plays at during the summer...at least that's what's on the sign.

Golf is easier for me on soft greens though even though they are tougher to putt. Knowing that a 7i will stick makes getting some GIR much easier.

I prefer quicker greens too. I like being able to be aggressive on slow ones but its a pain with long putts. I think 10-11 is pretty much perfect speed. My track is running a little faster than that right now though. I've always felt it easier to get the ball on line when you don't have to hit the ball as hard

Back