TaylorMade SLDR Irons Preview

There are two new video reviews on YTube (from UK revierwers) about SLDR irons with C-Tapers... Both were a lil taken back with how high the ball flight is with the 7i... one also thinks distance was "ok" (but not as long as his experience with Speedblade).

hmmmm

I just saw that and was coming to post the same. I know other tour pros play irons other than forged blades, but it always seems like validation of the designs to me.

Was excited when I saw this earlier!

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

I just saw that and was coming to post the same. I know other tour pros play irons other than forged blades, but it always seems like validation of the designs to me.

Was excited when I saw this earlier!

I'm not sure what irons he was using before, but I will be interested to see how he does with them.

SLDR irons taking on Pinehurst this week? Pretty damn awesome.

If be curious to know what shafts he is using

New to THP. Just bought a set of SLDR irons Monday mostly due to the information on this web site. I was about ready to pull the trigger on a set of Apex irons until I heard about the SLDR's coming so I delayed that purchase and really glad I did since I have always liked TM irons. Replaced my RBZ Tours with these yesterday and shot a pretty good 82 out at Glen Ivy in Corona CA. Need to get used to the added distance over the RBZ, was hitting the old 8 Iron about 140 max, had a shot at 145 yesterday hit the new 8 and flew the green. Love the clubs so far, higher ball flight then the RBZ Tour which I like, was playing the RBZ Urethane ball and all iron shots into the green stopped with in two feet of the ball mark. Very happy with them so far.

New to THP. Just bought a set of SLDR irons Monday mostly due to the information on this web site. I was about ready to pull the trigger on a set of Apex irons until I heard about the SLDR's coming so I delayed that purchase and really glad I did since I have always liked TM irons. Replaced my RBZ Tours with these yesterday and shot a pretty good 82 out at Glen Ivy in Corona CA. Need to get used to the added distance over the RBZ, was hitting the old 8 Iron about 140 max, had a shot at 145 yesterday hit the new 8 and flew the green. Love the clubs so far, higher ball flight then the RBZ Tour which I like, was playing the RBZ Urethane ball and all iron shots into the green stopped with in two feet of the ball mark. Very happy with them so far.

very cool. Nice to hear you pulled the trigger. Let us know more of your thoughts as you get out with them more frequently.

These irons look great. Currently playing the speedblades and like them a lot, however these intrigue me a ton. I wanted a little more distance and forgiveness than the TP Cb's so I purchased the speedblades. These might fit exactly what Im looking for. Going to try to demo them soon, but have a bunch of tournaments coming up soon so wont be changing equipment til closer to the end of the year if I do.

any more info on the C-Taper 90s they come with, are they the same as CTL just a few grams lighter to work with the SLDR iron heads ????

I think that is the case. I wish I could buy just the shafts somewhere maybe I will wait until someone pulls them and puts them on ebay.

I hit these at lunch today on the launch monitor. I'm currently playing the rocketblade tours and hit them side by side. I'm going to say that they looked nicer at address between the shaft and the slightly different head. They sounded a lot nicer on flush contact but in all honesty I wasn't seeing a lot of difference in carry numbers between the two. The one thing I did really like was the nice flight I was seeing on the longer irons.

With the tours I have found this season that I make contact and get a certain feel and expect to see a certain shape, whether that is the ball drawing or fading... and the result doesn't match the feel of the contact... this was the same on the launch monitor today with the tours. When I hit the sldrs the feeling on those shots matched the result.

I know these things are all totally arbitrary, but if I was being fit for new irons tomorrow I would want my fitter to have the sldrs in the list of considerations.

Headed for Mesquite NV for four full days of golf next week so I will get a chance to really put them through the test.
Can,t wait for next Wednesday to get here.

Headed for Mesquite NV for four full days of golf next week so I will get a chance to really put them through the test.
Can,t wait for next Wednesday to get here.

Looking forward to your feedback. These irons really have me excited. I've only hit a six iron with various shafts during my fitting. But, that really got my adrenaline pumping. I can't wait to hit the entire set.

these look amazing. They are extremely similar to my mizunos at address. I found the speedblades to be a tad unwieldy so I'm looking at these with interest. If I can get similar distance and launch as the SBs and at the same time almost as forgiving while looking that good? I'm in trouble.

Nice, did you go with the stock c taper shafts?

Yes i bought the stock stiff shafts. Only one round with them so far but I like the ball flight.

Yes i bought the stock stiff shafts. Only one round with them so far but I like the ball flight.

Get to know those new distances and by all means please chime in with more information about them once you've gotten a few more rounds under your belt.

Hit these at golfsmith. Tour90 stiff ahaft. I was surprised by the forgiveness and distance from these. I saw a very tight dispersion and around 190 yds on the bay. 7 Iron... lol. The guys at the mc will be treated well by these

Ping i5's for years......so transition to midsize cast should be easier.
I remembered him playing i5s as late as a couple of years ago, but I didn't know he was still playing them.

agree with v.man about wanting to know how the sldrs worked for you at mesquite… courses there are WOW! and a great place for putting the entire bag thru its paces

please update when you can about how your new irons performed out there

The people who has these, I've seen you say they are longer than your previous gamers, but how would you compare the flight to your old clubs? Higher? More spin?

I still love the look of these irons! I haven't hit them yet but I told my wife I need new clubs and she actually didn't disagree with me so maybe I should give them a try

Back