big bertha vs alpha..

bogeybrain

Reaction score
curious to know from the longer hitters and low handicaps how they fare against each other. I know two people that are hitting the big bertha at the moment and they both say that it is the longest that they have hit. im thinking of buying one and wondering if its worth it spending the extra hundred bucks for the alpha

I personally prefer the BB to the Alpha the BB had better feel distance was about the same for both but not as long as my current gamer

Tons of discussion on this in their respective threads

Some key points

Alpha is a bit lower spinning
Bertha is more forgiving, especially laterally
Alpha is surprisingly forgiving for its 'better player' target

It is going to depend entirely on the player. I have the Alpha and also had the Bertha. I found that the gravity core in the Alpha was more beneficial to my game than the perimeter weight. I tend to hit higher on the face when my swing is a little off and being able to put more weight behind my impact position gave me a better feel and good results. The standard Bertha was a very good driver for me also, but the Aloha played to my impact tendency better.

It is going to depend entirely on the player. I have the Alpha and also had the Bertha. I found that the gravity core in the Alpha was more beneficial to my game than the perimeter weight. I tend to hit higher on the face when my swing is a little off and being able to put more weight behind my impact position gave me a better feel and good results. The standard Bertha was a very good driver for me also, but the Aloha played to my impact tendency better.
whats your current gamer?
700]I personally prefer the BB to the Alpha the BB had better feel distance was about the same for both but not as long as my current gamer[/QUOTE]

whats your current gamer?
700]I personally prefer the BB to the Alpha the BB had better feel distance was about the same for both but not as long as my current gamer
[/QUOTE]

He's gaming the Alpha

im not crazy about the perimeter weights. before a shelved the sldr the one change I never made was take it off fade. im very intrigued by this gravity core stuff though

Like what's been said already, it depends on the player. Also it's what you are looking in the adjustment department. BB is almost set it and forget it and have fun. The alpha will appeal to the tinkerer more. I have found both are pretty similar distance wise when you get the right shaft pairing so really its all about what you are looking for.

I hit them both yesterday and fell in love with the BB dude, you would kill that thing. The alpha was heavy and sluggish feeling, didn't have as much control.

Well I have both and you are welcome to hit away at them any time ( when they return from being out on loan)

He's gaming the Alpha[/QUOTE]
Actually BBG looked to be gaming an SLDR per his signature? It's hard to tell just who was being quoted though in the message you replied to. Was a mess up where one guy's message was in a box and BBG's wasn't boxed but on there, yet he was the one mentioning niether were as long as his gamer.

I did a direct comparison and posted this in the Alpha thread. My results, however, will probably not be indicative of what you may find.

Numbers never lie*, but in my recent time spent on a LM comparing Big Bertha 10* to the Alpha (10*, CG down), some staggering numbers became apparent.

1) Alpha provided, on average, 600 less rpm than Big Bertha (2700 vs 3300).
2) This equated to, again on average, 13 more yards of carry. Wow.
3) Alpha had 3 mph higher ball speed (didn't have swing speed data to see if that played a role, but it was consistently higher).
4) While not as forgiving (ball speed way down on miss hits), I struck the Alpha to a tighter dispersion than the Big Bertha.

Again, numbers never lie*, but the reduced spin and increased carry is very shocking to me. By no means is Bertha short, both carry distances best my old driver, but Alpha, OH EMMM GEEE. It fits my eye so well. Next time I can, I'm going to switch shafts and loft of Big Bertha and give it a real run for it's money distance wise. Thanks to Adam Hartzell for allowing me to do this, hope to do it again soon.

I hit them both yesterday and fell in love with the BB dude, you would kill that thing. The alpha was heavy and sluggish feeling, didn't have as much control.

Hit them both yesterday , I had better numbers with the alpha (slightly)on the launch monitor but for some reason the regular felt so good to me. I would up buying the regular big Bertha.

Yup same here, the numbers were better with the Alpha but I hated the way it felt in my hands and the swingweight was horrible.

I'm glad you got one dude, keep us posted on how you hit that thing it's pure gold!

I hit both. For me my miss tends to be high on face. ALPHA was better all around. GC up. Doesn't hurt that I prefer the look of a smaller head. Waiting on it now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I just hit both of these yesterday on the LM at Golfsmith. First time hitting either. The Big Bertha felt a little better but I had waaay better numbers with the alpha. The BB was significantly shorter for me for some reason. The BB had the an S flex shaft and the Alpha had an X. My swing speed doesn't require an X flex shaft, but both times I've been at GolfSmith hitting X flex shafted drivers my numbers are vastly better than those with S flex. I find this to be very odd.

BB is a bomber. You will love it.

My brother is gaming the Alpha, and he's a longer hitter and lower handicap and likes the Alpha because of the Gravity Core and what it can do. Once he dialed in the weights and flipped the core a few times on the range, he hasn't touched it since.

On the other side, my Boss use to hit the X-Hot, and just recently (a few days ago) got a Big Bertha and went to the range and he said he's seeing a good 20 yards longer (or more) with his Bertha over the X-Hot. He has a 5 grams (I think) weight in the heal and has the slider towards the toe, close to the 2. He's around an 18 handicap and he loves this his new Bertha.

I just hit both of these yesterday on the LM at Golfsmith. First time hitting either. The Big Bertha felt a little better but I had waaay better numbers with the alpha. The BB was significantly shorter for me for some reason. The BB had the an S flex shaft and the Alpha had an X. My swing speed doesn't require an X flex shaft, but both times I've been at GolfSmith hitting X flex shafted drivers my numbers are vastly better than those with S flex. I find this to be very odd.

You're letting out the Monster inside of you Jeremy!

I've had both this year, both with after-market shafts. I had the Alpha first, now I'm playing BB. The Alpha was long, and had a great spin profile. I loved the looks, and most especially the sound. But, my miss is a hook, and the BB is built to better handle the lateral misses. I wouldn't agree that spin is higher with my BB vs the Alpha after my fitting as we were able to get a shaft to mitigate that potential difference. In actuality, I had a minor reduction in spin with the BB/shaft combo. Distance-wise, my average drive distance has actually risen by two yards. I attribute that to fitting and being "straighter". If you can get a true fitting, with all shaft options available to try, not just 3 or 4, you'll find the right fit.

The Fubuki ZT x flex in the Alpha plays a little soft compared to a lot of other X flex shafts. It felt that way to me for a while and it was confirmed when I had a shaft fitting for my Alpha a couple months ago. My fitter measured the shaft flex according to whatever system that Cool Clubs uses. It also has a very active tip section. I needed something a little more tip stiff and stable and the Accra shaft I ended up with is considered a stiff but according to that flex measuring system is actually more stiff than the Fubuki in X. It is a lot more tip stiff and heavier as well. That just goes to show you that labels like 'stiff' and 'X-stiff' aren't universal. The 65g Fubuki ZT in x flex might be a better overall profile for you than the 50 something gram fubuki Z in stiff that the regular Bertha has in it. The lower spinning Alpha head could help as well.

Back