Pushing right, every time.

Racingkid63

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys, been lurking the forums for a while and finally decided I need help with my not so small problem. With the driver, no matter what I do the ball pushes right. If I try to make a change that I feel with the swing, it still goes the same way. It doesn't seem to have much slice to it, but the ball starts right (and VERY high) and continues in that direction. In the video I am about 25-30 yards left of a 150 yard marker, every ball I hit would land within about a 10 yard radius of this marker. Any ideas on changes I can make, besides throwing the ball in the fairway off the tee box? :bulgy-eyes:

Thanks for any help.. Matt.

To me it looks like you aren't finishing your swing and rotating through. Im sure others will chime in with some other ideas but that's what it looks like to me

I know Freedie will jump in here soon with some pointers that will help.

One thing I see is that you're standing VERY upright through the entire swing. Your spine is darn near vertical throughout. I'd really like to see you get a more athletic stance with your knees flexed a bite more for sure. It also appears that you have a very strong grip, which is fine, however with how you are bringing your club head down into impact, it opens the face a TON. I'd suggest using a more neutral grip, as until your learn to get your hands turned over (thus helping to square up the club face) then you'll still see this problem
I'd suggest a drill to help get the feel of getting your hands turned over. No need to hit a ball, just grip a (any) club. Now, leave your left hand in it's current place but move your right hand down to the other end (edge) of the grip. Make some normal swings in that manor to get a feel for having your hands properly turn over through the swing.

My brother fights a similar move. He has always been told to swing the club back with his shoulders and not his arm.

I think I know what that means

The lack of shoulder turn during backswing is the big issue that causes other problems to follow. Your swing is all arms right now. Hopefully Freddie gets in here and gives you some real expert advice

Stay down and rotate through the shot. Look where your shoulders are at. You're coming up too fast looking where the ball is going instead of finising the swing. Takeaway and tempo are fine.

Part of it too is that you are finishing with your weight on your back foot, which means you cant turn your body through the shot. Try setting up with more weight on your left foot and having the feel that on your downswing, most of your weight (70%) shifts to your left side.
I used to struggle with a push too and a lot of it was not shifting my weight properly, which caused me to hang back on my right side.

Looks very similar to me with the same result. Hopefully, Freddie can help you too.

There are a few items that need to be addressed. The main issue is you setup and posture.

In order to deliver the club back into the ball you need a good set up. I'd like to see you add waist bend and knee flex.

Bend at the waist and allow the arms to hang straight down. At the same time you will need flex in the knees. You want to feel equal weight distribution over the balls of each foot.

Once you have this position you are able to swing the club with the shoulders and arms. At this time all you're doing is picking the club up and swinging the arms.

The triangle created with both arms at address needs to be moved by the shoulders and arm working together. Once the left shoulder reaches your chin the back swing is complete. The club gets back to the ball the same way. Shoulders and arms.

There a few other thing that need to corrected but these are the first things if like for you to work on

Thanks for the input everybody. This is from today, I feel like I'm bending my knees a lot more (my shorts seem to cover it) and can feel like my backswing is more of a coil around my spine than my arms wrapping around my neck. On this swing I felt my weight slide more to the front, which I was able to do about every one in six swings (far more than last time). Compared to last week where it went high enough to smack an incoming air plane and died at 150 yards, this shot hit the tree which is about 210 yards.

Should i be rotating more after contact? I've noticed some swings end with the club facing down range, to a degree. Also, with my left foot I seem to always be rotating on my heel like in baseball; should I plant my foot with my toes pointed out a little bit and keep it there?

Ok, the swing looks better then your first video. Try squaring up that right foot so that it is perpendicular to your target line. Keep the right leg flexed through the entire swing.

Was able to get back to the range yesterday. Keeping my right foot perpendicular felt uncomfortable at first (mental block from tearing my MCL twice), but it seemed to help me from swaying my body around once I got over that. I wasn't able to get video this time to review, but I realized that my better swings had my backswing end when my right arm/elbow was making a right angle. Is that a coincidence, or is that something I should continue to address?

Another thing I am curious about is the length of my driver. The bio cell and r11 are both 45.75" if I read that correctly. I felt much more comfortable with the bio cell, so that is what I plan to continue working with. I'm all of a 5'4" manlet that could be hidden by high grass, so I'm not exactly in the "normal" range for off the shelf gear. How much distance would I lose if I were to cut it down an inch or so? For comparison, my irons are being made at half-inch short 2* flat. I would think the other clubs would need to be adjusted accordingly, but if the length won't make a dramatic difference in control or the stock length is something I can learn to handle- I won't bother.

All of the tips that have been offered up have helped me immensely. Of the 90 balls I hit this time, about 6 out of 10 were doing what i wanted. When everything came together the ball was landing at the base of a hill which is ~180 yards. A few hit the tree that can be seen in the video. Of the misses, only a handful went outside of the yardage markers (I was hitting from right in the middle and the signs are about 50 yards apart laterally). Needless to say I'm happy that it is beginning to come together. I can't wait to see how these changes will translate on the course once my new irons (speedblades) arrive.

I had this issue yesterday while golfing with gregdan. He informed me I was picking up my head just a tad too quickly to see where my ball was going. Focused on keeping it down and was firing at greens. So for me it's picking my head up a tad. But I'm sure it's different from your issue.

Amphibians can Tapatalk... Fear the Frog!

Back