Playing different tees than others in your group...Acceptable?

Don't sweat it at all. I believe players are ENCOURAGED to do this. Isn't this why they have different slope ratings for different tees?

I'm totally ok with this, and honestly wish more people would do this themselves.

I like playing from different tees cause it changes the course so much IMO. You'll always have different shots into the green and works on a different pay off your game.

No one has fun trying to kill the ball to keep up when playing from the back tees. I used to play blues and then one day I asked myself why I'm making the game harder for myself. I'm also only averaging 220-240 yards of the tee though.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I see no problem with that, as long as your playing partners are OK with it. It wouldn't bother me.

No issues here either but I throw the teeing order out when we do. Played the other day and either they teed and played first or I did. It just makes sense doing it that way as the guys playing the forward tees should be well clear for safety's sake.

If I am joining a group, I will play where they do, but it doesn't matter to me, I would rather people play from the tees they are comfortable versus going from tees that make them uncomfortable.

I've played with people better than me and they would play from the blacks. Doesn't bother me at all.

Nothing wrong with it and I'd encourage it. I play with some guys who are a lot shorter off the tee than me, but I don't want to play a sub 6000 tee, so I play my tees and tell them to play their own tees, but they insist on teeing with me and then struggle.

Definitely not anything wrong with it. Always find it nice to see rather than people playing too far back for their game just for the sake of playing further back to stroke their ego.

I like when people play from the tees they are going to enjoy the most and don't care if it's the same tee box as me or not

I'm a short-hitting high handicapper that plays with friends ranging from 4.5 - 14. They typically play the blues (~6,700 yards) while I prefer whites at about 6,300. There is one hole I can't even carry off the blue tee.

Is it acceptable for me to hit from the white tee? I know if we are playing a game based on handicap, I would give up a few strokes based on the difference in the rating between blue and white.

Thoughts?

Yes. It's not only acceptable, most players would congratulate you for doing so, rather than slowing down the group by playing from tees your game can't live up to. Handicaps can be adjusted according to the tees played, so it shouldn't even be a problem if you wager with your friends.

We play from different tees almost every time out, just add the difference in course ratings to the course handicap of whoever is playing the toughest tees (Rule 3-5 of the USGA Handicap Manual)

I play from whites all the time. My son and buddy play from blues. Most times they still out drive me. Even when I'm with them in the fairway, I point out that were still not playing the same game. They may be playing a 7 for the green while I'm grabbing a 5 iron so the game is still harder for me. Let's face it, a green is much easier to hit and hold with that higher lofted club. I don't see the big deal with playing for money either. If their handicap is bases off of their tees and your handicap is based off of your tees you are already playing in parity for each of your ability.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Decent drive for me is 180 yds. There are par fours I can't reach hitting from senior tees. If I move back much it's a real tough day. Have no problem playing different tees. Play with others that play closer tees than I do, no problem. Even from the senior tee had to use a driver on a par three last week.

Yes, I have no issue with this. I have a couple buddies who I am better than that tee it forward and I have buddies who are way better than me that tip it out while I play my normal tees. No issue with this at all, and I encourage it, if you play out of your depth you won't have fun and the round will be slower.

I see nothing wrong with this, and in fact, I think it's a practice that should be encouraged.

My dad and I play different tees, if there was a speed of play issue I would move up with him
There are ways around this as well. A way of maneuvering around the course without someone simply sitting in the cart. But if the course simply isn't set up for that, than moving UP is the right move...and not anyone moving BACK.

Definitely a from the tees you want to play from.

Nothing wrong with it at all, you laid just as much as them for the round might ad well make it more enjoyable for yourself

If at least one person in the group wants to play further back I will play with them, but I personally wouldn't play the back tees if nobody else was.

Not only do I allow it but I encourage it.
Good on you for not letting your ego get in the way.
I say move up and have more fun

I think people should play wherever they get the most enjoyment, assuming that there are no gambling or speed of play issues involved. Personally, I will play whichever tees my playing partners want to play. I'm comfortable on any of them and I'd rather stick to one set for the group. I'd feel like a total jerk if half or more of the group wants to play up and I insisted on being the only guy hitting from longer tees. I'm in this game for fun, not to prove something to someone. that's just me though - I get the most enjoyment from playing where my group wants to play.

I won't move all the way up to the ladies' tees though - I draw the line there :)

Definitely nothing wrong with it. I play with several guys who will play a course at different sets of tees. Play from where you feel comfortable .

I agree. The only time you can't play forward is in official events where tees are often set by age.

The game is more fun played from appropriate tees. I got paired up with some guys yesterday that were playing the tips. I played the whites, which were a good 40-yards in front. I enjoyed my round with a lot of good looks at par and even birdie. Didn't make a lot, but still had fun. The others spent the day cussing and generally having a miserable day, since they didn't really have the game to play from the tips.

In short, don't feel compelled to play a game you don't think you can.

Its perfectly acceptable. Play whatever tees are right for your ability.

I agree. The only time you can't play forward is in official events where tees are often set by age.

I've never seen an event where tees were set by age. The tournaments I played were set by handicap - basically, all flights but first flight played the middle tees, and first flight played the back tee. It made no difference how old you were. I played in the same group in 3rd flight (out of 6 flights) with a guy who was 26 and and one who was 91 (I was in my early 60's). The 91 year old was the better player.

Back