2014 US Open Contest & Thread - Awesome Prizes

I've listened to Mike Davis the last couple of days and thought that he has one of the best jobs in golf. I'm sure there's a ton of pressure on him, but he's got so much power in the game and gets to visit, play, assess some of America's best golf courses as part of his job - as well as rub elbows with everyone in the game. He comes across very well in his interviews and does well in that regard, imo. I was impressed with the organization and the number of helpful people out there during my time out there - just the merchandise tent alone was so organized - they had everything down to a science.

Finally finished my recording of Saturdays action so I'm back in the loop.

Today I'm cheering for Fowler in a big way.

I've listened to Mike Davis the last couple of days and thought that he has one of the best jobs in golf. I'm sure there's a ton of pressure on him, but he's got so much power in the game and gets to visit, play, assess some of America's best golf courses as part of his job - as well as rub elbows with everyone in the game. He comes across very well in his interviews and does well in that regard, imo. I was impressed with the organization and the number of helpful people out there during my time out there - just the merchandise tent alone was so organized - they had everything down to a science.

Agreed its a pretty good gig.

I've been to six US Opens and without fail they run a spectacular event. There is a crew right now on site at Chambers Bay already working on next years event.

The merchandise tent is a pro shop on steroids. You could go broke in there.

But they do everything so well from the shuttles to ample grandstand seating, plentiful concessions.

Heck they even keep the port-a-johns very clean. I've never had a bad experience at USGA event.

Finally finished my recording of Saturdays action so I'm back in the loop.

Today I'm cheering for Fowler in a big way.

LOL -did the same thing last night. Stay away from this forum as well as anything on the internet so not to find the results before watching. I don't think Fowler can repeat the putting performance from yesterday. That last miss on 18 was unbelievable. Thought he made that one though.....

Yeah they was the reason I wasn't posting much yesterday afternoon.

Had to run out around 5:00 for dinner for a while and watched the rest on DVR when I got home.

#ConeOfSilemce

Just saw Mike Davis move the tees back on 13 to 309 not 285. Said it was playing downwind. They would have been hitting irons into a par 4 green. Ha

Just saw Mike Davis move the tees back on 13 to 309 not 285. Said it was playing downwind. They would have been hitting irons into a par 4 green. Ha

I still don't get it. Like the ESPN analysts are saying, you take something that is not designed to be driveable name make it driveable, why? Is it because Kaymer has a 5 shot lead and you want to try and make some drama with guys potentially making up a stroke or two when it would be more difficult otherwise? If Kaymer didn't have a 5 shot lead, say 1 or 2 shots, would they be doing this? My guess would be no because they try to make the US Open very challenging and this goes contradictory to that thought and Pinehurst's design.

Just ordered a red USGA Pinehurst flag for the office. Oh wait, I might win one w/ Phil's signature. What was I thinking?

Anyway, if Martin wins - It'll mean something to have, also since I watched him practice last Monday as well....and since I lived in Germany for over 20-something years...it'll mean something....and if Compton wins, we'll that's one for the ages (books will be written).

$_57.JPG

I still don't get it. Like the ESPN analysts are saying, you take something that is not designed to be driveable name make it driveable, why? Is it because Kaymer has a 5 shot lead and you want to try and make some drama with guys potentially making up a stroke or two when it would be more difficult otherwise? If Kaymer didn't have a 5 shot lead, say 1 or 2 shots, would they be doing this? My guess would be no because they try to make the US Open very challenging and this goes contradictory to that thought and Pinehurst's design.

If you're Kaymer do you feel cheated someway because of this? ("They're setting the course up for them to catch me"?)......GC mentioned that Mike Davis is taking a chapter from Augusta National and the way the Masters comes down to the last nine holes.....

If you're Kaymer do you feel cheated someway because of this? ("They're setting the course up for them to catch me"?)......GC mentioned that Mike Davis is taking a chapter from Augusta National and the way the Masters comes down to the last nine holes.....

I have no idea what he is thinking, but if I were him I don't know if I would feel cheated or not. He has the same chances at birdie/eagle that the others do and because he is leading in total driving this week, he is more likely to get on a green if he tries. Now, will he try? Heck no, not with a 5 shot lead, but he still can have a legitimate shot at putting a wedge close. All this is doing is catering a few holes (note, they also moved up the par 5s to make them reachable in 2) to the chasers to give them a shot at the guy who has dominated the tournament so far.

it's a tough call for the USGA but I am glad they did what they did today to try to allow someone to go low and make a move.

In a way i agree that it's kind of messed up to be making changes to the course based on what the leaderboard looks like. But I think we would be lying to ourselves if we think this hasn't happened before

for me right now Kaymer has to have a serious meltdown to lose, he has a 5 shot lead, if he shoots even par someone has to shoot 65/64/63 to force a playoff that is a tall order at the US Open any day much less a Sunday...

it's a tough call for the USGA but I am glad they did what they did today to try to allow someone to go low and make a move.

Right, they still have to execute the shots that they are potentially given. You can put food in front of someone, but you can't make them eat it. The thing is, the greens are still the same and that is where it is won and lost. It doesn't matter if you can drive the ball 350 yards, you have to execute the shots around those incredibly difficult green complexes.

Fun fact the course I practice at had a secret Hugo Boss photo shoot at it last year with kaymer senden and 1 other guy. Guess they were all super cool and classy evenmoreso for being In glorious stow ohio

Man how amazing would it be if Compton could pull this off

Fun fact the course I practice at had a secret Hugo Boss photo shoot at it last year with kaymer senden and 1 other guy. Guess they were all super cool and classy evenmoreso for being In glorious stow ohio

Fun fact stow Ohio is the HQ of MAtco Tools. Been to the building.

I'm rooting for Compton.

I am not bothered by the setup. They all play the same course so Kaymer should not be bothered.

Fun fact stow Ohio is the HQ of MAtco Tools. Been to the building.
Right down the road from me...5 miles or so

13 is looking interesting already......tee shots flying all around the green - over it and into green side bunkers.

Had to go get a few last minute "Chores" done before I plant myself firmly in my front row seat today

But to the question why the USGA sets up these drivable holes.

I believe the first time might have been at Oakmont 2007 with No.17 and it crested a lot of excitement toward the end of the round.

Each year since they seem to have a hole or two set up that way.

I do agree it's kind of odd to see it done to holes where the greens weren't designed that way.

So Natalie warming up on the range. A strategy to distract Kaymer maybe. Ha.

2014 US Open Contest & Thread - Awesome Prizes

I really hope Compton or Fowler can put pressure on Kaymer. This might turn into the most boring Sunday at the US Open in a long time.

Last edited:
I really hope Compton or Fowler can put pressure on Kaymer. This might turn into the most boring Subday at the US Open in a long time.
me too. would love to see a down the wire finish. also would love to see ricky get a win with early struggles from swing change pay off. or compton with his new heart!

This picture of the 16th puts these greens into perspective

Back