Golfing without a glove

I always wear my glove on full shots but remove it for chipping and putting

Not to many that go gloveless it seems.

Learning to play later in life, I question the "value" in something versus "its just the way we do it" or marketing hype ...

My grandson showed up with a sticker on his hat ... asked him why he had it on his hat ... could not answer ...

So not only did I question a glove, I question "golf" shoes ...

I do not wear a glove ... I see no effect on my game ...

I do not wear "golf" shoes ... in fact, some days sandals ... no effect; in fact, my games that I have done really well on was without glove and in sandals ...

But there again I am a weekend golfer out with his buddies and having fun ... take it with a grain of salt.

I don't wear a glove. I have started to carry some soapy water bottle to wash my hands if they get sweaty though.

Thread bump for sure, but I have been known to wear 2 all the way to none. Currently no gloves.

I've gone without one for years and I play crossline full cords. Lately when THP reviews grips they try it without a glove and give us guys some great feedback that's always appreciated.

I know this is a super old thread but still no need to make new ones when there is one made. This hasnt been discussed in a while and I have recently been experimenting without a glove for the last two rounds and the results are amazing. I dont think I will go back to wearing one for a while. So lets hear it, anyone out there golf without a glove?

I play Pure Pro grips and haven't worn a glove in a long time. Poring down rain I'll go with a rain glove but that's about it.

I never wear a glove. Got a new decade on my driver, the factory grip on mh cobra bio cell fw and the factory grips that came on the ping I20 irons. All of these are midsize. When i ordered bio cell direct from cobra they put 3 wraps of tape. I used to wear a glove but havent now for about 4 years.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

Learning to play later in life, I question the "value" in something versus "its just the way we do it" or marketing hype ...

My grandson showed up with a sticker on his hat ... asked him why he had it on his hat ... could not answer ...

So not only did I question a glove, I question "golf" shoes ...

I do not wear a glove ... I see no effect on my game ...

I do not wear "golf" shoes ... in fact, some days sandals ... no effect; in fact, my games that I have done really well on was without glove and in sandals ...

But there again I am a weekend golfer out with his buddies and having fun ... take it with a grain of salt.

No glove or golf shoes for me either. I've tried both many times and always go back. Just more comfortable. Then again, I'm pretty bad so what do I know.

I don't wear a glove unless it's raining or my if my hands get sweaty at the range in the humidity.

I think location plays a lot in this. High heat, high humidity, I just can't see how a gloveless person doesn't get abused from the moisture and loses control of the club.

No glove or golf shoes for me either. I've tried both many times and always go back. Just more comfortable. Then again, I'm pretty bad so what do I know.

Only issue with no golf shoes is when you're a high swing player it can cause footing issues. Without proper traction my right foot slides out as I push off aggressively and has caused injury in the past. Shoes don't have to be labeled "golf" but proper traction for course conditions is a plus in my book.

Also, if you play it where it lies the right shoes also help. Standing on a 45 degree sloped hill with the ball below your feet is scary with flip-flops on. Even barefoot you will probably fall.

I think location plays a lot in this. High heat, high humidity, I just can't see how a gloveless person doesn't get abused from the moisture and loses control of the club.

Even though I don't use a glove I do have a rain glove and "sweaty summer" glove. Like you said, sometimes if the humidity is super high a glove is more convenient. I can mostly just wipe my hands down before the shot but I'm not against putting the glove on if its required.

I don't mind playing without a glove but there is a spot on my left index finger that develops a blister pretty fast if I don't, not sure why. Probably has to do with my grip. Hopefully it's not a sign I'm gripping the club wrong.

This is my only concern, but I try and play early mornings so I am usually not affected to much by the humidity.

I guess I'm just the opposite... I don't see how people can wear a glove in high heat and high humidity situations. Having a sweaty glove stuck to my hand is something I find uncomfortable and distracting.
Of course my hands rarely get sweaty, despite the temps and humidity, so that could be one factor for me. Don't get me wrong, I love my Hirzl glove, but I don't wear it unless I'm hitting a lot of balls for practice or if weather conditions are a bit less than ideal.

No way I could do it. My hands are already in bad shape. My wife finally convinced me to at least take my glove off to putt, which helps eliminate the ridiculous glove tan line I had a couple years ago.

I guess I'm just the opposite... I don't see how people can wear a glove in high heat and high humidity situations. Having a sweaty glove stuck to my hand is something I find uncomfortable and distracting.
Of course my hands rarely get sweaty, despite the temps and humidity, so that could be one factor for me. Don't get me wrong, I love my Hirzl glove, but I don't wear it unless I'm hitting a lot of balls for practice or if weather conditions are a bit less than ideal.

It usually doesn't get too sweaty unless it's just something stupid condition wise. Glove on, shot, glove off. It really doesn't get too much time to get super sweaty. On the range though, nothing you can do there haha

It usually doesn't get too sweaty unless it's just something stupid condition wise. Glove on, shot, glove off. It really doesn't get too much time to get super sweaty. On the range though, nothing you can do there haha

I guess that's my other issue... it just seems like a hassle to me to keep putting the glove on and off, even if I just take it off for shots on/near the green. Maybe I'm just that lazy or something! Haha!

I guess that's my other issue... it just seems like a hassle to me to keep putting the glove on and off, even if I just take it off for shots on/near the green. Maybe I'm just that lazy or something! Haha!

Do you clean your ball off before you putt?

It really depends on the conditions here. If it is drier, I am usually no glove. Wetter, and I get the glove on pretty quickly.

no glove here.....except the rare occasion where its super hot & sweaty or i just need some sort of mental change

The only time I use a golf glove is in the cold winter months and then I wear the Footjoy rain gloves. My hands get very dry and I have those painful paper cut feeling spots.

Do you clean your ball off before you putt?

Haha! That just depends... at my home course, it's usually so dry and firm that you don't have to worry about any mud/dirt on your ball.
Heck, I'll even take a brush to the grooves of my clubs every once in a while!

Well my point was just about everyone takes the 30 seconds to clean the ball off at the green. That's longer than it takes to take a glove off. Kind of silly to say it's a hassle taking it on or off but that's just my opinion. The only time I've ever complained about taking a glove off was when I was using rain gloves in a downpour

Well my point was just about everyone takes the 30 seconds to clean the ball off at the green. That's longer than it takes to take a glove off. Kind of silly to say it's a hassle taking it on or off but that's just my opinion. The only time I've ever complained about taking a glove off was when I was using rain gloves in a downpour

I can see where taking rain gloves on and off would be a hassle. When using them, I've always just left them on.
As for the 30 seconds to clean a ball off, I definitely don't go that far. I usually just rub it on the grass to get the excess dirt off, taking maybe 5 seconds. It should be noted the atmosphere at my home course and with my usual golfing buddies is quite relaxed and we don't usually take ourselves or our games too serious.

Back