How strict is your handicap committee?

geneticistx

Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA-9.8
At a private club in the northeast, and our handicap committee is strict to the point of placing a members handicap until a "future time" to that of the lowest it was during the last season. This player is not a sandbagger or a bad guy. Posts all his scores, and plays to his cap (between 8-12) all year.

The committee seems to be very harsh, and I'm not sure why, neither is he. This is a private club and this committee is putting many guys on "trial" for scoring type things. We're not talking sandbaggers, just regular players who play probably 80-100 rounds per year, and may delay or forget to put in a round here or there, but without malicious intent.

I guess my question is, what is truly the role of the handicap committee, within reason?

Mine goes through NCGA i enter the scores on an APP on my phone there is no one that judges it. They way you are discribing your club kind of sounds like they had a real sandbagging problem or they are A holes

So what if they dont believe they go through an investigation into every round they think is questionable

i'll let you know on Friday... I've been called to the principal's office to discuss my handicap posting, etc.

My handicap has gone up almost 4 strokes in the past month. Maybe that's it.

Sounds like I would find a different club.

My course in japan required that you have 2 -4 rounds per year validsted by another member.. but that was the worst I had ever seen. I thought it wss a good idea

Very...Wouldn't have it any other way. Cards turned in daily and caps computed every 11 rounds or 99 holes at my local track. They do it that way as they always have to my knowledge. I know it's not perfect but it's as close as you're going to get.

I've never seen a handicap committee actually do anything. I have played places where people never post scores on their own so only their tournament scores get posted and their handicaps are way too high If there is money on the line then the committee needs to and should take the job seriously.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

At my home course, you are allowed to enter your score at home or you can leave your card at the course and the handicap chairman will post it.

In all "events" which include leagues, tournaments, and even weekend morning skins games, must be entered by the handicap chairman. This is where "peer review" comes into play. All cards must be signed as well.

We have one guy in our skins group who is currently a 13.6 handicap, but he shoots in the mid to low 70's often in skins. Right now, he has to turn in signed cards and his scores can only be entered at the course by the chairman.

Hmmm...we don't have anything like that.
I post my scores either on the ghin pc interface at the course or if I am playing elsewhere that doesn't have one, I can post on ghin.com.

Sounds like I would find a different club.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I personally wouldn't put up with it, I'd pack my bags. I join for the fun and won't deal with the political BS

This is exactly what I was thinking. I personally wouldn't put up with it, I'd pack my bags. I join for the fun and won't deal with the political BS

There are a lot of fun clubs that aren't run by Mussolini.

Enter your own scores. Whatever handicap is posted on the RCGA website is what we use for tournament and matchplay draws. Never had an issue.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Times have changed. When I started playing in the early 70's, all cards had to have a second signature, like from your mother or father in order for the score to be posted. Peer review has died more less these days. You have those that post low scores to have an impressive handicap they have no chance of playing to, and then you have the sandbaggers, which is as old as the system itself. At my course, we pretty well know who the sandbaggers are and they have been warned this year.

A father and son team, playing in men's league, always said they would just post their scores from home. Trouble is, they were found to be adding from 2 to 5 strokes per nine holes. Not good. They of course were sent packing. The son has now been allowed back to play skins but he must turn in all his cards at the course, even in casual rounds. This stuff happens when there is money involved.

We're about as easy going a club as you can get, and our committee has changed the handicap of one member in about 8 years. We're honor system, put in your own scores (or have the clubhouse do it, if you can't be assed).
The Committee only gets involved if there's a complaint. Your club seems a little crazed to me, but I'd rather have them than a lot of ones that don't do ANYTHING. Must have been a real issue at some point with bagging.

Yeah my club is pretty laid back. If there's a committee, I've never heard of them doing anything, but I imagine if there's a complaint they'd look into it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i'll let you know on Friday... I've been called to the principal's office to discuss my handicap posting, etc.

My handicap has gone up almost 4 strokes in the past month. Maybe that's it.

Good grief. Under the USGA system it would be nearly impossible to raise your handicap that much in a month unless you had some very low scores drop off the bottom of your 20 round list. It would almost have to be like having 5 or 6 scores in the 70's drop off to be replaced by scores in the mid to high 80's. If I was on the handicap committee, that would look suspicious to me too.

You should be glad that you have an active committee. Beats the heck out of letting the sandbaggers run loose.

I don't think we have a handicap committee.

like in anything else we may do or be part of, we many times have to suffer because of the few bad apples who take advantage. And then people who accuse via assumption are also just as wrong. It is imo very wrong to accuse all due to the wrong doings of a few. But then if they want to keep an honest club I don't really know if there is a correct answer. But if on the other hand you played competitive golf with the club it is nice to know the fellow members caps are kept honest as possible so there is also a plus side to this for you(I guess). no?

thanks for all of your input.
I did read up on what a handicap committee responsibilities are, should and could be.
Yes, my handicap has gone up 4 strokes since beginning of may (ugh, bad golf) - i play a lot.
And, apparently, if my index goes up 3 or more strokes in a month, they can question it (according to the rules).

I'll keep you posted later this week on what the reason for my meeting is, and what the outcome is.

In Canada we just go off whatever is on the RCGA website.

That said, there is nothing in our system to prevent a cheater from cheating.

In Canada we just go off whatever is on the RCGA website.

That said, there is nothing in our system to prevent a cheater from cheating.

Thus the reason for having an active and strict handicap committee. It's the same in the US.

I don't deal with any committee, but I for one would rather have a strict one than a lackadaisical one.

I haven't run into any trouble at the course I joined this year, but then again I've been at/around my handicap for many of my rounds since establishing my handicap. We'll see what happens when I go through the inevitable few weeks of blowup golf. I would imagine they're probably looking at the scores a bit more with one of the club's 2-day tournaments coming up.

Back