Callaway Apex Irons Review Thread

hey all new the THP just orders my new set of apex irons .. i got 4 to AW with KBS Tour stiff, and a 56 mack daddy 2 wedge... ive hit a lot of irons of the last bit, and the apex is the smoothest but far...

hey all new the THP just orders my new set of apex irons .. i got 4 to AW with KBS Tour stiff, and a 56 mack daddy 2 wedge... ive hit a lot of irons of the last bit, and the apex is the smoothest but far...

Welcome! Let us know how those work out for you. If you've got time you ought to post in the introductions forum

These irons are something else, they just make me smile. My swing was abnormally steep this weekend thanks to reverting to old habits but they still kept me in play and gave me chances. I really just enjoy the hell out of them.

These irons are something else, they just make me smile. My swing was abnormally steep this weekend thanks to reverting to old habits but they still kept me in play and gave me chances. I really just enjoy the hell out of them.

You're also a great gawfer. I'm still pondering the pros or a combo set

You're also a great gawfer. I'm still pondering the pros or a combo set

1) I love the profile picture, whoever had that idea is clearly a genius. :alien:

2) I told a couple guys at the event this weekend, I've hit the Pro's a good bit around here and you honestly couldn't pay me to put any of them in the bag over the regulars, these are just that damn good from long irons to wedges.

1) I love the profile picture, whoever had that idea is clearly a genius. :alien:

2) I told a couple guys at the event this weekend, I've hit the Pro's a good bit around here and you honestly couldn't pay me to put any of them in the bag over the regulars, these are just that damn good from long irons to wedges.

I've hit the pros I actually haven't hit the regular apex at all. It's on my short list as I really have been pondering new irons and they are still on top of my list. I'm hoping someone in OCMD has them and will let me hit them.

I've hit the pros I actually haven't hit the regular apex at all. It's on my short list as I really have been pondering new irons and they are still on top of my list. I'm hoping someone in OCMD has them and will let me hit them.

Hopefully someone will. These are as good as advertised, and honestly that's still hard for me to wrap my mind around even with what I am seeing.

I'm a firm believer in the regular Apex.

You could definitely game the Pros, Buck. But golf is just easy with the Apex. I have never been a better iron player -- ever.

They may not be the best for everyone, but these are possibly the perfect irons for me.

I am so excited to have these in a fitted configuration when we walk out to that range on Friday, July 25th...I think of them daily, and my poor XHot Pro's just don't know that their time is limited.

I am so excited to have these in a fitted configuration when we walk out to that range on Friday, July 25th...I think of them daily, and my poor XHot Pro's just don't know that their time is limited.

What was the deciding factor for you? I currently play the Xhot Pro's and as of now, hit them very well. Did you go with the pro's or regular Apex?

What was the deciding factor for you? I currently play the Xhot Pro's and as of now, hit them very well. Did you go with the pro's or regular Apex?

I went with regular Apex irons. I really like the XHot Pro heads (don't love the stock Project X shafts) and as I was looking at the various 2014 lines, the Apex were the closest to the XHot Pros from an offset perspective (X2Hot Pros have a decent amount less). They feel and look amazing too, of course, but seem to be a bit more forgiving than my current sticks, which have treated me pretty well also.

I went with regular Apex irons. I really like the XHot Pro heads (don't love the stock Project X shafts) and as I was looking at the various 2014 lines, the Apex were the closest to the XHot Pros from an offset perspective (X2Hot Pros have a decent amount less). They feel and look amazing too, of course, but seem to be a bit more forgiving than my current sticks, which have treated me pretty well also.

Gotcha, I never even thought about the offset. Good deal man.

I really enjoyed my Apex before but now with a different shaft in them. I love how they feel now and my iron game has made gigantic strides due to these.

*Cough* You have two of the extra rounds with me and are more than welcome to have at them. *Cough*

I'm a firm believer in the regular Apex.

You could definitely game the Pros, Buck. But golf is just easy with the Apex. I have never been a better iron player -- ever.

They may not be the best for everyone, but these are possibly the perfect irons for me.

QFMFT! ATL is my hero. Bottom groove forgiving!

I'm about to jump on this wagon as well after trying them out a few times with the TT XP 95 steel, which felt quite a bit too light and jumpy even in stiff.

Still need to figure out what KBS shafts to go with. I like the C-Taper-Lite's (especially the way they look) in my JPX-825's - but the combo has turned out to be way too high launching and I find the shorter irons just die up in the air. Maybe something more mid-launching will be better for me even with my modest 80 mph 6 iron speed. Don't want anything heavier than 120 though for sure, my days of playing DG S300 were over in 2008. I'm also not a fan of trying to hit bigger irons out of the rough so I need to go back to something a bit less bulky.

You definitely hit your irons well on Saturday. I was impressed with the quality of many your shots.

i hit a bunch of irons at golfsmith last week for like an hour. i hit these and didnt get good results they seemed light and a longer bladed slightly chunkier then i am used to, everything was going right.

out of the 8 or so irons i hit these and the bio cell+ i got the worst results the best were the FG tour M3's and nike VR forged pro combo's

i seem to like the squat head designs better then the longer big bladed irons

I hit the Apex into the GolfTown sim the other day, the demo 6i with what is theoretically the wrong shaft for me in stiff (I don't know which one, KBS?). Same session, I hit several other distance and or SGI type irons all in R shaft (Covert 2.0, BioCell, G20 & JPX825). The Apex was 6-7 yds longer on good strikes, of which there were a lot, and surprised me with their forgiveness. Beyond that, the dispersion was great. I'm still scratching my head over why I would do better with stiff, I top out probably 75mph 6i swing and average less than that.

I hit the Apex into the GolfTown sim the other day, the demo 6i with what is theoretically the wrong shaft for me in stiff (I don't know which one, KBS?). Same session, I hit several other distance and or SGI type irons all in R shaft (Covert 2.0, BioCell, G20 & JPX825). The Apex was 6-7 yds longer on good strikes, of which there were a lot, and surprised me with their forgiveness. Beyond that, the dispersion was great. I'm still scratching my head over why I would do better with stiff, I top out probably 75mph 6i swing and average less than that.

What you saw is what SOOOOO many are seeing, they're just something else.

As to the flex, I'm a believer that it doesn't matter as much as some like to make it, a shaft is not going to cause a miss, a bad swing is. BUT, a shaft will effect the spin (not as much as some like to think) and the launch angle for sure.

I'm actually playing my CTL's soft-stepped right now, and I'm incredibly glad I did it.

I still need to hit these. Haven't had a chance to yet and want to see how they do for me with all the good I've heard.

These irons cont to amaze...doesnt have a weakness...has length, feel, look good, easy to hit.

Apex are returning to be bent 3* up, just about as excited to hit them now as I first was last September

Apex are returning to be bent 3* up, just about as excited to hit them now as I first was last September

Can't wait to hear how you do with them. I have my fitting tomorrow morning. Can't wait to put a few swings on the Apex's while I'm there.

Back