Tiger to Return at the Masters

World press weighs in on Woods’ return at Masters

By CHRIS LEHOURITES, AP Sports Writer

Tiger Woods’ planned return to golf at the Masters drew plenty of criticism from the international press on Wednesday, and the most scathing comments came from Britain.

Daily Mirror columnist Oliver Holt questioned the top-ranked golfer’s reasons for coming back to play at Augusta National.

“How typical of the man to hijack the world’s most famous golf tournament,” Holt wrote. “How could he turn Augusta into a circus like this? Does his vanity know no limits?”

Woods drove his SUV into a fire hydrant and tree outside his Florida home in November, an accident that set off sordid tales of extramarital affairs. Woods announced Dec. 11 that he would take an indefinite break from golf to try to save his marriage, then made a public apology on Feb. 19.

“When he finally sticks his head above the parapet before a hungry media at Augusta National, don’t be surprised if he refuses to talk about anything relating to matters that predate February 19 on the ingenuous grounds that he has already dealt with that,” Douglas Lowe wrote in the Scottish paper The Herald. “But let’s wait and see before reaching a conclusion.”

The Daily Telegraph’s Mark Reason questioned the 34-year-old Woods for making his return so soon after last month’s apology, where he took no questions.

“All that halting guff about maybe returning to golf one day was just a great big fib,” Reason wrote. “Tiger, Tiger, pants on fire, nose as long as a telephone wire.

“How will the kids believe in him now? Woods wouldn’t know the truth if it came wrapped in a polyurethane cover and had Nike stamped on it. He’d just want to know how much he could spin it.”

In the Toronto Star, columnist Dave Perkins made fun of Woods’ extramarital affairs.

“So that’s what Tiger Woods meant when he said he would be fighting the temptations: He’s coming back to golf at a club that doesn’t allow women,” Perkins wrote. “Bada-boom.”

In Sweden, the country of wife Elin Nordegren’s birth, Aftonbladet columnist Lasse Anrell wrote that Woods was in the clear to play golf again after “four months of mourning, four months of apologies, four months of crying, four months of healing …” But Anrell added that Woods needs to make a strong showing at the Masters to regain his status.

“He knows—just as well as all the media strategists and brand analysts— that he needs to win for this to be a really good resurrection of Tiger Woods The Brand,” Anrell wrote. “A 27th place will not be a hit for the brand strategists. It needs to be top 3.”

Not everyone attacked the American, however. French sports daily L’Equipe had only a small news story about Woods’ return, while Italian paper La Gazzetta dello Sport featured a full page on the announcement, saying the Masters was the natural place for him to come back.

“Apparently the expected onslaught of the media, curiosity seekers and fans has convinced (Woods) to return at the most important and most protected venue and for him the most familiar, skipping any warmup tournaments,” Gazzetta wrote. “Even if this increases the risks, especially for someone who is used to winning all the time.”

In Britain’s Daily Mail, golf correspondent Derek Lawrenson said Woods chose the Masters as his comeback tournament because Augusta National would be able to keep the media at bay.

“All those showbiz Web sites that have plagued Woods’ life for the last three months would have more chance of an audience at the White House than gaining access at Augusta,” Lawrenson wrote.

John Hopkins, the golf correspondent for The Times, said Woods’ return will eclipse anything seen before at Augusta.

“And although President Eisenhower was a regular and President Clinton also played there, both requiring extra protection, the security when Woods makes his reappearance will be enormous,” Hopkins wrote.

Woods has won 14 majors in his career, including four at the Masters. This year’s tournament begins on April 8.

“Tiger’s comeback will rival that of legendary heavyweight champion Muhammad Ali as the world tunes in to see the greatest-ever golfer face the most harrowing challenge of his career,” Karl MacGinty of the Irish Independent wrote.

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/news?slug=ap-woods-mediareax&prov=ap&type=lgns

Last edited:
Any tournament that Tiger were to return to they would accuse him of ruining it.....it's a lose lose situation....

It's more then that.You are missing the key points.

I understand that the masters is the "holy grail" and that the majority of people on here think it's selfish that he chose this one......but why wouldn't he? He's got a great chance of winning there, the media will be downplayed, and the fans won't be out of control.....it ALL MAKES SENSE, and regardless what everyone thinks on here, its ultimately not up to us we have no control over any of it, we have no say, and also he's the greatest to ever play so he can choose when and where he wants to come back.....Golf isn't as holy as everyone makes it out to be....it's just "another sport"....it's nothing special....there is nothing that makes it better than any other sport and I think we need to quit treating it like that......

It appears to me that basically it's just the two guys from Britain who are ready to throw themselves off of a bridge over this and everyone else quoted seems to have either a neutral or encouraging stance.

I'd say that most people are just eager to see him come back and to get on with his career.

I think that of all the venues he could have chosen, Woods' choice of Augusta is probably the best for a variety of reasons. But I certainly don't understand how anyone could suggest that he's "hijacking" the Masters for reasons of vanity. I think his choice of the Masters was primarily because of its insular nature in regard to the media hounds coupled with the fact that it's probably the one venue and tournament that cannot be overshadowed by anyone - not even Tiger.

All in all, I'd say it was a wise choice.

-JP

the majority of people on here think it's selfish that he chose this one.......

I'm curious where you got that from? I didn't hear that.

I'm curious where you got that from? I didn't hear that.

If you read the "majority" of these thread about tiger it's about bashing him and how he's a horrible person, and how the masters is getting hijacked by him for all kinds of reasons......there's more to the "majority" then just you diane......

The "majority" of the comments in just this thread from several different people:

"They ruined one of the best events of the year.Now, it's going to be a circus"

"I see your point,but he shouldn't have come out at the masters as his first tournament back"

"For me,I feel he has disrespected us ,by using this as his first"

I think Tiger is being childish & trying to hide behind Billy Payne & Augusta right now. he should man up & quit being a baby. Face the music, aka The media, & play Tavistock or Bayhill

He made a point today of saying how much he respects Augusta and The Masters. If that's true, IMHO, he should have come back earlier and kept the media circus away from Augusta.

Do you really think that the people at Augusta are depressed that they will likely have the highest watched tournament in their history. Those guys are a shinning example of the uber-rich and probably feel a need to take in the wounded Tiger.

I agree that this is a good place for him to comeback, it has always been a more controlled enviorment than most tournaments. The usual walk up to the gate and pay "you the man" crowd is replaced by the "I had to wait for ten people in my own family to die to get these tickets" crowd. And to the comments that he has disrespected Augusta.... wtf?? He has won there 4 times and shot their ratings through the roof every year since 1997, they can deal with any negative backlash for all the good he has done them over the years! The PGA Tour needs Tiger out there ASAP and back to his winning ways to keep up the money from the TV contracts and sponsors. The players need him out there so they can keep getting those 1.4 million dollar checks when he isn't playing.

These Tiger threads here lately are pretty damn laughable and probably should be all merged together as they keep running around the same circle. Two very important principles in life I subscribe to are; forgive and forget and Let he who is without sin cast the first stone

I think Tiger is being childish & trying to hide behind Billy Payne & Augusta right now. he should man up & quit being a baby. Face the music, aka The media, & play Tavistock or Bayhill

He made a point today of saying how much he respects Augusta and The Masters. If that's true, IMHO, he should have come back earlier and kept the media circus away from Augusta.

I completely disagree with this.

I think that Augusta and the Masters is the best choice for his return precisely because of what it is and what it represents. The Masters is a larger than life event and because of that it would be difficult if not impossible for the trials and tribulations of one man - even Tiger Woods - to overshadow it.

In the article, Derek Lawrenson of Britain’s Daily Mail was quoted as writing: "Woods chose the Masters as his comeback tournament because Augusta National would be able to keep the media at bay. All those showbiz Web sites that have plagued Woods’ life for the last three months would have more chance of an audience at the White House than gaining access at Augusta,” and I agree with him.
Any other venue would virtually guarantee a free-for-all, but the Masters can and likely will keep things from getting out of hand and the tournament itself has enough "star power" on its own to keep Woods' troubles at "back-burner" status.

So I don't see this as selfish or refusing to "face the music" at all. The music has been playing for over four months and Tiger did indeed face it back in February. What more is he supposed to do? He's a golfer by trade and now it's time to go back to work and since some tournament had to be the first, I can think of no better tournament for his re-entry than the Masters.

-JP

I completely disagree with this.

I think that Augusta and the Masters is the best choice for his return precisely because of what it is and what it represents. The Masters is a larger than life event and because of that it would be difficult if not impossible for the trials and tribulations of one man - even Tiger Woods - to overshadow it.

In the article, Derek Lawrenson of Britain’s Daily Mail was quoted as writing: "Woods chose the Masters as his comeback tournament because Augusta National would be able to keep the media at bay. All those showbiz Web sites that have plagued Woods’ life for the last three months would have more chance of an audience at the White House than gaining access at Augusta,” and I agree with him.
Any other venue would virtually guarantee a free-for-all, but the Masters can and likely will keep things from getting out of hand and the tournament itself has enough "star power" on its own to keep Woods' troubles at "back-burner" status.

So I don't see this as selfish or refusing to "face the music" at all. The music has been playing for over four months and Tiger did indeed face it back in February. What more is he supposed to do? He's a golfer by trade and now it's time to go back to work and since some tournament had to be the first, I can think of no better tournament for his re-entry than the Masters.

-JP

I agree with you totally, i was just quoting what the majority was saying!

Crowds at the masters are much tamer then others.If you get rowdy,you risk losing future tickets.The media is mostly kept out.This is his best choice for his first tourney back.I don't agree,but it is his best choice.
He's going to have to face the music and the crowds at sometime.He should have come out earlier to get it out of the way.

I'm sure Tiger is at agusta now and will stay there till the event is over.He's going to pratice till his hands bleed to make sure he has a great performace.JMHO

i would like to point out that the toronto star reporter does not represent the majority of torontonians.

:clapp:

These Tiger threads here lately are pretty damn laughable and probably should be all merged together as they keep running around the same circle. Two very important principles in life I subscribe to are; forgive and forget and Let he who is without sin cast the first stone

LOL I think that I counted at least 15 replys that talked about how long they record him eating a bannana......poor guy >>>>:banana:

:clapp:

LOL I think that I counted at least 15 replys that talked about how long they record him eating a bannana......poor guy >>>>:banana:

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure that one out.

I don't agree with many of the posts about Tiger, but it's a golf forum - that's part of what we're here for - to debate, discuss and give our opinions on everything golf. I enjoy reading everyone's posts as long as people give the "why" behind an opinion. I don't have any interest in the blanket "because I said so" statements or because "you are wrong and I am right" statements.

I don't agree with many of the posts about Tiger, but it's a golf forum - that's part of what we're here for - to debate, discuss and give our opinions on everything golf. I enjoy reading everyone's posts as long as people give the "why" behind an opinion. I don't have any interest in the blanket "because I said so" statements or because "you are wrong and I am right" statements.

Agreed and there are quite a few of those in this thread unfortunately.

What about the "if you don't like it, don't watch it" replies?

I equate those to the brilliant "if you don't like America, you're free to get the [blank] out" replies.

Agreed and there are quite a few of those in this thread unfortunately.

Unfortunate it is, we should keep this thread about Tiger and him coming back since the title of the thread is "Tiger to return to the masters" and not about what size or how many :banana: he's eaten.....

What about the "if you don't like it, don't watch it" replies?

I equate those to the brilliant "if you don't like America, you're free to get the [blank] out" replies.

LOL but if you DON'T like watching him eat a bannana then turn it....just like if I don't like watching womans basketball I turn the channel.....

Unfortunate it is, we should keep this thread about Tiger and him coming back since the title of the thread is "Tiger to return to the masters" and not about what size or how many :banana: he's eaten.....

We have moderators on the board that are qualified to determine if a thread is or is not on topic. This thread was started about his return to the masters and many relate that to the coverage that will be at the Masters because of his return.

LOL but if you DON'T like watching him eat a bannana then turn it....just like if I don't like watching womans basketball I turn the channel.....

You have stated your opinion as have others. Most have moved on. You want to go back and count peoples posts, count how many times you have said or sort of said "if you dont like it dont watch"! Everybody has a different opinion on the matter and can express if they choose as long as it is done civilly.

Back