Most important shortgame shot ?

For me its bump and run out of tight lies. Chipping/pitching from rough has always been pretty comfortable and easy for me. Not from tight lies though.
Ditto for me. I am getting better results by doing this with a less lofted club, usually a PW or 9i depending on how much carry I want to start with.

Bump and run is the most utilized. For me the most important shot to learn to lower scores was the one hop and check shot. Very useful when I get myself shortsided

Bump and run for me too. But I will say that I have been using a higher shot more lately. Experimenting a bit with trying to get a little more control of my distances.

I like to get the ball in the air a bit so for me it's a simple pitch shot.

Simple bump and run.

I practice with different clubs for different roll and practicing on the tightest lie I can find gives me confidence out on the course and teaches me to use the bounce in tough spots.

Like others have said, I think the bump-and-run is the most reliable in terms of not getting yourself in trouble...but does that make it the most important? Or is the ability to pull off a higher risk flop shot when needed more important? Even if you only need that shot once a round....

I would say the most important to me is the simple pitch as I use it 80% of the time. I have always tried to keep it simple and learn various ways to use the same club and hit different types of shots with it

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Agree with this. Keep it simple, learn what you can do with one club and take it from there.

I agree with the bump and run. more often than not it's what I need to play and if I could do better with it, it would help me a lot.

I'm going to say the 15-20 yard pitch shot, followed by the bump and run. I personally use the pitch more than any thing else around the green.

A common saying with my buddies is "Flop for show, bump for dough". Flops are just hard shot to hit.

Bump-and-run, in my opinion, is just so much more reliable and easier to hit than a flop, or any other type of short-game shot.

This year I am trying to have 3 shots at my disposal. Low bump and run. Mid height with rollout. and Higher with less roll. So far I can get the first two. The third keeps eluding me.

Bump and run for me and I really practiced that last year and I feel comfortable with it. I have learned to use my 56, 52, 48 and PW for these bump and runs again for me it just works.

Best thing I did for my short game this season was taking my 60* wedge out of my bag, I hit chips, pitches, bunkers shots and full shots with my 56* now and it has really helped me. Not saying it is for every one but I feel so comfortable with my 56 in my hands. Flop shot isnt in my golf vocabulary right now, I need way more practice with it.

If its a few feet off the green I'll use the bump and run. Roughly 5 yards and longer I typically try a soft pitch shot.

Dave Pelz says its a 14 yard shot. I don't think he cares if you pitch it high or chip it or even putt or hybrid it.

I think the most important short game shot to have is the basic bump and run shot. Does it always work, no. But it's also the one that tends to not get you in as much trouble. I think if one has that shot, they can have a decent short game and then build off of that.

I agree and you need to be able to do it with various clubs.

The Putt...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

The low chip shot. Gets you out of about 90% of lies around the green.

The basic chip shot has been my go to short game shot for several years. This year I've added the low chip shot that just bites and stops. I've been sticking them close lately.

I was gonna commit to the bump and run this year instead of going through the air. I found that the speed of the rollout was just too hard to control. You have to be able to land it perfect if there are any hills around the green.

The grass is so lush this year that it's easy to get a flop shot under the ball (the grass also works against the bump and run).

Bump and run is great for players who are always in front of the green, but I always end up in bad spots around the green.

Last edited:
Keep it simple, get the ball on the ground as quickly as possible, bump and run.

Keep it simple, get the ball on the ground as quickly as possible, bump and run.

This is something I seem to have to keep reminding myself. Especially for those (such as myself) who are not so crafty around the greens. The more the ball is on the ground, generally speaking the better off I am. When practical to do so its a lower lofted iron and a sort of putting stroke. I started using my LW for too many things and even my SW and too many times risk the dreadful skull shot when those clubs were just not necessary in the first place many of those times.

As far as more important? They are all important. The most important thing is imo to do whatever minimizes risk and offers the highest percentage for not screwing up. But i guess as one becomes more masterful with the shorty stuff then he may take a different route because the success rate may be there for him.

but there is nothing worse imo than quitting on the stroke for a shorty with a high lofted club and flopping it two inches because we may fear skulling it. See this happen constantly among many weekend hackers including myself. So with that, I try to avoid the situation and play it safer when i can. Lower loft and get it rolling. However cant do this from a greenside bunker. Another place i see very many quit on the stroke, again in fear of sending one to the bunker on the other side lol. I'm sure we all know about that one :).

It gets hard to trust yourself after skulling a couple and then still just take a confident stroke the next time. Ever quit on two in a row for the same shot? now on the 3rd stroke and then get the courage not to quit and then skull it across lol. Now its then of course back to quitting again.lol. Oh how the short game can make or brake us :) , :(

I've been using bump and run a lot because I was leaving lofted chips way short for a while. I've been getting within a foot or two with the bumps. You don't always need to smack it I to a mound or hill on these. I've used the bump on downhill lies and close pins before. It's just a matter of getting the ball moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably the bump n run. I think the most important shot, is the ability to land a ball 3' onto the green and have it roll out to the pin.

I don't think there is one that is more important than the others. I think being able to hit different shots to give yourself options is nice. One shot won't work in every situation. I think having a 'go-to' shot is key. Some may feel more comfortable with a bump-n-run, others the flop. I'm getting back to hitting the flop shot with more confidence and I will use that one in most situations unless a bump-n-run or simple chip makes more sense.

If were talking 10 yards and closer, the most important shot is the simple chip. But more important than that, is knowing when to chip with a 7 iron or a wedge, or just whatever the shot calls for. The shot is important, but knowing how each club reacts to that shot is equally important.

On a side note, I added the 3w bump and run shot to my bag last year, and it has saved me countless strokes.

~Rock

Back