making custom counterbalanced putter

milehighgolfer

Hacking at Altitude
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I will be receiving a Betti BB53C which was a center shafted belly putter that had been cut down to a short 33.5". I intend on reshafting or extending it and installing a 17" grip to make it a counterbalance putter. Has anyone ever done this? My question is how much to backweight the butt end to get the right feel. My initial thoughts would be to go to the golf store and try several stock c/b putters and then measure the balance point of the one I like and try to duplicate that measurement. Otherwise it would take a lot of trial and error pulling the grip to try different weights.

Any thoughts?

Interesting project. Good luck with it.

Depends on the headweight to be honest. Typically, including the grip weight, about 100g is used in the butt end of the putter shaft to CB the putter. But, again the key comes back to knowing what the headweight is bc if you add too much to the back of too light of a head you lose the head completely in the stroke and if you add not enough to a heavy head its like putting with a hammer.

Depends on the headweight to be honest. Typically, including the grip weight, about 100g is used in the butt end of the putter shaft to CB the putter. But, again the key comes back to knowing what the headweight is bc if you add too much to the back of too light of a head you lose the head completely in the stroke and if you add not enough to a heavy head its like putting with a hammer.

395g
0qmoXxk.jpg

What do you think about duplicating the balance point of a OEM c/b? (I really like the feel of the Spider Blade)

You can do that, its just going to take some tinkering, find out the weight of that grip and get one similar and then from there its all about getting the right weight under the grip, or, if could wind up being damn close with just the 100G+ grip.

I will be receiving a Betti BB53C which was a center shafted belly putter that had been cut down to a short 33.5". I intend on reshafting or extending it and installing a 17" grip to make it a counterbalance putter. Has anyone ever done this? My question is how much to backweight the butt end to get the right feel. My initial thoughts would be to go to the golf store and try several stock c/b putters and then measure the balance point of the one I like and try to duplicate that measurement. Otherwise it would take a lot of trial and error pulling the grip to try different weights.

Any thoughts?
Yes, I did this with an Odyssey #7 belly putter with a 400 gram head. The answer to the amount of counterweight that needs to be added is: your personal preference. When I did this with my experiment, the heavier grip alone was good enough for mine.

You don't have to pull the grip though to change counterweights if you went with the Tour Lock Pro system.

Here is my thread: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?56623-Designing-a-counterbalanced-putter

Thanks guys. I am looking forward to getting this as I haven't tinkered with any clubs lately.

Got a 17" SuperStroke Slim Lite Belly grip and an extension on the way. I will experiment with bolts/clevis pins to back weight it.

Hopefully I can get this done before Ocean City.

I've got a custom counter balanced putter of my own design, took a little trial and error but I am very comfortable with it now.

It started out as a 33" Odyssey Black #5 with the 350g head, I extended it to 38", then buried a 75g clevis pin in the butt of the shaft. The grip is a Winn 17" belly putter grip (135g). Total weight is 675g.

As others stated it's all personal preference, tinkering is a good way to get there, you never know what may work or feel right to you until you try. Attempting to duplicate the balance of a putter you like is probably a good way to start, then adjust from there. Compressed air can be friend when it comes to pulling grips and adjusting counterweights. No sense knifing a grip if you don't have to, especially at $15-$25 a piece.

Good luck with the project.

i do all my grips with air. Won't be an issue changing weight.

I did it myself I can't remember what thread I did my write up in. Maybe the counter balanced thread? Can't remember it was pretty easy to do.

Listen to this putter knowledge, James is right about the feel. Several years ago I counterbalanced Clebeland Golf milled putter myself with a hitch pin I picked up at Lowe's. I started with it long and then simply cut it off after each session with it until I had a weight that felt right. It took much less weight than I had guessed. I started with a 3/8" by 2" long pin and ended up with one about 1/2" long. Even though it is not a SeeMore, I bet you could give them a call and they would be more than happy to give you some guidelines. Good luck Randy.

If its not too late..... You can go to walmart and get some lead cord for fishing. Wrap a certain amount on the top of your grip and practice. Its easy to cut and easy to add or remove however much till it feels right. Then weigh that amount of cord that feels best and that gives a ballpark of where to start 40 gram weight vs 60 gram .....etc.

I messed around with a counter balanced putter today. Color me intrigued

You rolled this pretty well the other day. I'd say this experiment was a success!

very cool project

Back