Ernest Sports ES14 Launch Monitor

pattont

Reaction score
Handicap
Here is the link:
http://www.ernestsports.com/es14/

I don't know what you guys have heard about this thing, but from what I have read, I am really interested in getting my hands on one of these to see how well it works.

The fact that it does the following items really makes me want one:
  • Ball Speed
  • Spin Rate
  • Launch Angle
  • Smash Factor
  • Club Speed
  • Distance

It is currently listed at $549 on their site which I think is more than fair for a doppler based system, but I heard that they were as low as $449 and if you pre-ordered at the PGA show you got $100 off that. I would order one sight unseen for $349...

Anyone have any more info on this thing? I emailed Ernest Sports requesting a demo.

If this is a quality product that is an awesome price. I can't wait to hear more about this.

I know that it uses and equation to do the LA and Spin, not a true measurement. To me, that makes those numbers pretty useless.

I have been in touch with them in regards to this product. Not great communication but have had some. I just do not see how this product helps regular golfers outside of chasing numbers...Then add in that this product is not actually measuring some of this data but using an equation.

I have been in touch with them in regards to this product. Not great communication but have had some. I just do not see how this product helps regular golfers outside of chasing numbers...Then add in that this product is not actually measuring some of this data but using an equation.

Exactly why I have no interest. I just can't trust the data without actually seeing all the variables measured.

I know that it uses and equation to do the LA and Spin, not a true measurement. To me, that makes those numbers pretty useless.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but if I'm indoors hitting balls into a net that has a launch monitor, wouldn't those be using equations too?

Well has anyone put this machine up to say a trackman to compare just how close these equations get to something usable?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but if I'm indoors hitting balls into a net that has a launch monitor, wouldn't those be using equations too?

Depends on the launch monitor. I have found the foresight ones to be very accurate both inside and out.

Well has anyone put this machine up to say a trackman to compare just how close these equations get to something usable?

All I can tell you is I watched it being compared to the GC2 and it was off in quite a few spots. Not enough for a full evaluation however.

I received an email back form the organization just a few minutes ago offering me $100 off the purchase of an ES14 and free returns if I don't like the product. I am seriously tempted if nothing more just to put up a review of the thing.

I did email the person back asking about the spin rate and launch angle to get an "official" answer from Ernest Sports about that calculation.

** UPDATE ** Just heard back from ES:
"We use two doppler radar systems to measure ball speed and club head speed. In turn the rest is calculated based on the data we measure and months of testing."

How can this be remotely accurate? With a club head that is designed for lower spin rates how could they know without actually measuring the ball spin? My guess is that they couldn't.

Last edited:
I received an email back form the organization just a few minutes ago offering me $100 off the purchase of an ES14 and free returns if I don't like the product. I am seriously tempted if nothing more just to put up a review of the thing.

I did email the person back asking about the spin rate and launch angle to get an "official" answer from Ernest Sports about that calculation.

Well if you get one I would love to see it against a launch monitor.

No. For instance the GC2 is using a very highspeed stereoscopic camera system, it is measuring exactly what is happening at impact. The system can directly measure the ball’s speed, back and side spin, launch angle, and azimuth.

** UPDATE ** Just heard back from ES:
"We use two doppler radar systems to measure ball speed and club head speed. In turn the rest is calculated based on the data we measure and months of testing."

How can this be remotely accurate? With a club head that is designed for lower spin rates how could they know without actually measuring the ball spin? My guess is that they couldn't.

The ES14 will calculate swing speed and ball speed with Doppler but not spin or launch, those are calculated. They did a podcast a ways back that explained how the spin numbers and launch were calculated based on smash factor and a comparison to numbers given by other popular launch monitors.

For the price I think the SC100 which calculates both swing and ball speed is a better buy. You do lose the app that tells you the numbers with voice and saves a lot of data but you gain a device in the SC100 that is half the size and doesn't have to sit in the "shank" area of your swing =)

When will Trackman Pro's be $1000 or less??? Seriously! I think I will have a hard time trying to justify something like the Flight Scope XI+ to my wife :)

When will Trackman Pro's be $1000 or less??? Seriously! I think I will have a hard time trying to justify something like the Flight Scope XI+ to my wife :)

Yeah, was surprised when the XI was released it didn't do launch and spin for the price. Guess that's why we got XI+ so quickly. $229 for SC100 looks like a much better deal when you compare it to the XI.

That's really good to know.

I remember when you guys found that out at the PGA show.....that was a deal killer....they are just plain guessing.

I ordered mine, sight unseen, back in January. i just received it wednesday, I have used it for 2 sessions now, and love it! it is a great tool to go along with the mat and net I purchased this winter. i wish it was a simulator of some sorts, but it isn't.

I can't help but think that the SC100 is a better buy at this point. What good are spin and launch numbers if they aren't actually read in real time?

I will also add that I recently spent a couple hours wailing away on a Trackman and it taught me one thing: anyone with a swing as non-repeatable as mine has very little to gain by hitting on a high tech launch monitor. You end up having to decide if you want to base your decision off of your good hits, your bad hits, or an overall average...which kind of defeats the purpose altogether.

Bringing this thread back to see if anyone has compared directly to GC2 or Trackman yet. Does anyone have one that would like to do a review?

Bringing this thread back to see if anyone has compared directly to GC2 or Trackman yet. Does anyone have one that would like to do a review?

I should have some thoughts about this vs a zelocity very soon.

I hit with this on the range outside the other day and will say that it appears to be pretty darn accurate knowing what I know about my swing and the numbers I generally put up. My one complaint is that it uses total spin not back and side spin.

Back