Chilibadger

Reaction score
Handicap
The last set of irons I bought was in 1986. I haven't played regularly for the past 20 years. I am now wanting to pick it back up and I've been looking for a set of game improvement irons. Things have sure changed since I bought my MacGregor CG1800s! I've hit a bunch of irons, all of the top rated GI ones, and I hit the Adams XTDs really well and consistent. I actually like the looks of them too although I know they aren't everybody's taste. Back in the day I hit a 7 iron 150 yards, there was little guess work, it was always 150 yards +-5 yards. So I've been going to Golfsmith and I've been hitting these GI 7irons 175 yards, 8 irons at 165 or so. I'm hitting a pitching wedge about 130. I asked if the yardage on the analyzer was accurate and the fitter said it was quite accurate. So inside 130 yards I'm using wedges/sand irons. I feel like I just don't have enough clubs to rely on my same swing tempo letting the loft determine the distance. Am I going to have to adjust my swing speed at 120 yards to get on the green? I'm a bit anxious that my game is going to be even more dependent on my short game which now extends out to my previous 8/9 club lengths. Any thoughts?

The last set of irons I bought was in 1986. I haven't played regularly for the past 20 years. I am now wanting to pick it back up and I've been looking for a set of game improvement irons. Things have sure changed since I bought my MacGregor CG1800s! I've hit a bunch of irons, all of the top rated GI ones, and I hit the Adams XTDs really well and consistent. I actually like the looks of them too although I know they aren't everybody's taste. Back in the day I hit a 7 iron 150 yards, there was little guess work, it was always 150 yards +-5 yards. So I've been going to Golfsmith and I've been hitting these GI 7irons 175 yards, 8 irons at 165 or so. I'm hitting a pitching wedge about 130. I asked if the yardage on the analyzer was accurate and the fitter said it was quite accurate. So inside 130 yards I'm using wedges/sand irons. I feel like I just don't have enough clubs to rely on my same swing tempo letting the loft determine the distance. Am I going to have to adjust my swing speed at 120 yards to get on the green? I'm a bit anxious that my game is going to be even more dependent on my short game which now extends out to my previous 8/9 club lengths. Any thoughts?

You can either buy traditionally lofted irons or get the ones you like bent if it makes you more comfortable.

You could also look into adding another wedge into your bag makeup to help cover your gaps on that end better.

The number stamped on the bottom of the club is based on launch, rather than distance (despite what some believe). Irons in some categories (mainly those that offer perimeter weighting) have been lowered to counteract the higher launch that they offer. So the outcome becomes a very marketable "more distance" as a byproduct of that.

To counteract that, sets do offer mutliple lofts in an approach wedge and "sand wedge" that match sets as well as just about any loft in wedges to make up for gaps.

I've had the same experience for the past few years since I switched from 80's clubs to the modern stuff. One thing I do is carry two gap wedges, making sure I have something around 50* for 120 yd shots.

Welcome to the the new loft age. You just have to think about your 8 iron as a 7 iron and on down the line and then practice with your gap and/or approach wedge. Good luck and I like the XTDs as well.

I've had the same experience for the past few years since I switched from 80's clubs to the modern stuff. One thing I do is carry two gap wedges, making sure I have something around 50* for 120 yd shots.

So how many wedges do I need? PW, SW and something in between or more? What are the lofts that are most popular?

Too long?

In my experience and I'm just saying this is my experience the monitors aren't always right. I've hit 190 yd 7 irons on them.

I've hit enough 7 irons in real life to know I can't hit one that far. I had an old set of Hogans ('83) and I think I hit those short irons just as far as my current pings.

But yeah, a lot of people play 4 wedges these days. I play 3 mostly because I'm cheap.

What's lost in certain areas, with new clubs, is more than made up for in ease of hitting, I think.

Last edited:
So how many wedges do I need? PW, SW and something in between or more? What are the lofts that are most popular?

I'm at a 44 degree PW, 49 degree Gap or Approach wedge and 54 degree SW, so 5 degree gaps. This works well for me for full shots. I also know very good players that carry 4 wedges and very good players that only carry two or three. Another very subjective part of golf.

It depends on what irons you go with. My current pitching wedge is 44, then I have 49, 54, and 58.

Back