Course Review: Mystic Dunes, Orlando, FL

Erky

Reaction score
Dunes. It's just a word I don't like. When I hear that word associated with golf, the first two words that come into my head are "brown" and "windy". For that reason, Mystic Dunes has never been high on my list of courses to play. With so many solid options within a short drive of Mystic Dunes, why would I ever play there? As it turns out, there are a few good reasons.

Mystic Dunes is a short drive from Disney, and is also visible from 429. Once you drive in the gate, you wind through this fairly large property, which includes several vacation condos, and a lot of speed bumps. You drive up at least one hill that makes you think "Wow, that's a big hill for Florida." Our group of 8 arrived at the course, and was greeted by employees at the bag drop. The first truly notable thing was the parking lot. It may not seem like a big deal, but the parking lot was amidst several rows of oak trees and other shady trees. It was nice to have parking spots in the shade, considering this is Florida, and it was in the high 80s when we arrived. It's nice to finish your round and return to a car that isn't 100 degrees inside. Walking back to the clubhouse from the parking lot, I snapped this photo:

jlln.jpg

Clubhouse

The clubhouse was simple, but very nice. It was buzzing with activity, which is a huge plus. The pro-shop had constructed a small castle out of packs of Bridgestone balls, which was kind of cool. The bar was busy, even though it was before 10 AM, and there was a restaurant with a breakfast buffet, and you could also order breakfast from the bar. Their POS system was down, and the tee time they had for our group did not match our itinerary. I am not sure if that was the fault of the course, or the fault of the people who booked it. Either way, it did lead to some problems down the road. The clubhouse in general was very nice, and they even had a really nice looking area outdoors to sit. It was pleasant, understated, and comfortable. It's not Bella Collina in the clubhouse department, but who is?

Grade: B

Practice Area

Because our tee time was screwed up, I did not get a chance to hit balls. However, I did take a few minutes to check out the facilities, which were very nice. The turf conditions on the range were very nice, and they had distances displayed to the numerous flags. There was a nice chipping and pitching area with plenty of room to move around and hit various types of shots to a number of flags. The putting green was nice, and the speeds seemed to match the course. I would love to work on my game at a facility like this.

r6cit.jpg

Grade: A

Course Conditions

I was extremely impressed by the conditions of the fairways and rough. Top notch. The day before we played, I was hunkered down on a nearby course while a truly torrential downpour struck the area. It rained for several hours straight, including some hail. You could not tell at Mystic Dunes. The course clearly drains very well.

The greens and tee boxes were another story. In this part of Florida, many courses are aerating right now. It's hard to keep your greens in top condition right now. Some of the greens were perfect. Others had a lot of rough spots. However, they were running pretty true, and probably at about a 9 or 10. The greens have a lot of undulation, which I generally enjoy. There were a couple that had some real circus putts. Most of the tee boxes were good, but 3 or 4 were pretty bad. The frustrating part was that the bad ones seemed to be on par 3s, and there was plenty of good grass if they moved the tees up or back 5 yards.

Here is a picture of the 15th green. 15 is a short par 5, so I guess they figured putting in a silly green would help protect it from too many birdies. Here is one eagle putt that was impossible to keep near the hole. You can also see a few issues with the green:

c3x3.jpg

The bunkers were in good shape, but there are several you did NOT want to get in. Many of the bunkers on this course have railroad ties in them. If anybody is curious, YES, it is possible to get behind them for a truly impossible lie.

7jwb.jpg

Grade: B-

Layout

I really enjoyed the layout. It was challenging, but there were places to attack. There were enough tees to challenge anybody. If I had one complaint about the layout, it would be that there is nothing in between about 5900 yards and 6600 yards. I think a 6300-6400 set of tees would have been nice. All of the par 5s are reachable in 2. I hit irons into 2 of them, and I am not a particularly long hitter. I have to say, though, I did hit every club in my bag. There are a few short holes that a slightly longer hitter than me could drive the greens on, but they are well protected if you miss. I thought the layout was really fun, though. If you don't like hitting the ball off of bumps and moguls, you won't like it. I think it adds to the challenge.

j9ht.jpg

Pace of play

4:15, which is not bad. However, someone dropped the ball in our booking, and despite the fact that we had a confirmation in writing, it caused us to miss our tee time. Not only was the starter not particularly helpful, I would go so far as to say the starter was sort of a jerk. We did see a ranger a few times keeping tabs on things.

Price

We paid around $40 per man. I felt like this was a good deal.

Amenities

I didn't have a chance to visit the locker rooms. As I stated earlier, the clubhouse was great. Also, they had a drink girl on the course who came by several times. There was plenty of drinking water on the course. From what I saw, this course had it all, with the exception of mango scented iced towels. The carts have GPS and scorecard functionality.

Grade: B+

Overall

I didn't expect to like this course much. I pictured huge, sandy mounds on each side of baked out fairways with 2 club winds impacting each shot. I am sure there are days when it might seem like that. However, what I got was a diverse, lush course with wooded areas, pleasant elevation changes, and a lot of options how to play each hole. There are a lot of great golf courses near this course, and it doesn't get much attention. I would much rather play this than say, ChampionsGate's National course or Reunion's Nicklaus course, but that is just personal preference. I will definitely go back.

Last edited:
I've heard all sorts of horror stories about their greens, I'm glad they are getting them back in shape. I'll have to check it out sometime.

Great review Erky. heck of a deal on the round and those railroad ties are REDICULOUS

Nice Review Erky. Next time I get down to Disney, I may have to add this to the list, if I get behind the railroad ties, well then we'll see how it goes.

Nice review Erky. I know it's not a popular course down there but for some reason I've always like playing there, the staff can be sketchy but the layout really gives a solid challenge.

I've heard all sorts of horror stories about their greens, I'm glad they are getting them back in shape. I'll have to check it out sometime.

Yeah, the greens weren't too bad. As you can see in that one picture, the spots that are bad are bad, but the fact is, that's only on about 10% of the green. The rest was good, and we are not exactly in a great time for maintaining great greens.

I played there in jan and it was OK condition, good enough for the price I paid. Some of the greens were about a windmill short of crazy to putt on starting with hole 1. I wouldnt play it again personally. Just not a fan of the setup of the course.

*EDIT: Srry for got to mention, Great review !

I played there in jan and it was OK condition, good enough for the price I paid. Some of the greens were about a windmill short of crazy to putt on starting with hole 1. I wouldnt play it again personally. Just not a fan of the setup of the course.

*EDIT: Srry for got to mention, Great review !

Yeah, here's that first green for you. To be honest, most of the extreme greens were on the short holes, so I felt they were fair.

7fgsy.jpg

Great pic there. I agree also about the shorter holes. I am just not a fan of putting up 5 ft hills haha.

I haven't had the opportunity to play this course yet. But the price seems reasonable and the course looks in pretty decent shape for it being almost July. Gotta love living in central Florida. Nice review my friend. Next time you are in the area, give me a buzz. Would love to tee it up with you.

Erky, nice review. Have not tried that course, but it looks like a challenge.
If you want to try a fun track, Highland Reserve is on 27 6-7 miles north of I-4. It is not very long but a lot of fun (some hills and tree lined in spots) and in great condition. It was only $25 (2) weeks ago. If you and KnightLightPro want to make a group sometime drop me a PM. I have some retired friends always ready to play.

Great review, love that course.

Nice review Erky. I know it's not a popular course down there but for some reason I've always like playing there, the staff can be sketchy but the layout really gives a solid challenge.
I don't know where you heard it wasn't popular but thats not true. Most guys I play with love the course and usually can't get on cause its expensive.

Nice review. This is the condo complex I stay at every time we go down to Orlando area. I've played it a few times and I've never had a problem with the staff or with the tee times. I have encountered some browning in the fairway, but to be fair, that was December. I agree with your assessment of the greens, but figure that this and the pot bunkers are the only things keeping this course interesting. There is a real nice par 3 on the back (I think) with a fountain & pond that I was hoping you had included a picture of.

Nice review. Greens don't look too bad, even though I would probably be annoyed having a putt like that on the par 5 as well. $40 seems like a decent price for a course like that.

Nice review. This is the condo complex I stay at every time we go down to Orlando area. I've played it a few times and I've never had a problem with the staff or with the tee times. I have encountered some browning in the fairway, but to be fair, that was December. I agree with your assessment of the greens, but figure that this and the pot bunkers are the only things keeping this course interesting. There is a real nice par 3 on the back (I think) with a fountain & pond that I was hoping you had included a picture of.

I tried to abide by the 5 picture limit for reviews, but is this the hole you are talking about? This was number 2:

i8l4d.jpg

o75tt.jpg

Back