Hopkins Golf Irons Review Thread

They likely will never see the inside of a retail store. Direct from site only

Yeah, I was kind of hoping to maybe see them at a demo day or something, if Hopkins plans on hitting the demo circuit. Probably no other way to hit them unless there is a forum testing or something.

I do like that they have the KBS Tour S option as well as the standard TT. Also, I wonder if you could get the set 5-PW and maybe throw in two wedges instead of the 3-PW?

I do like that they have the KBS Tour S option as well as the standard TT. Also, I wonder if you could get the set 5-PW and maybe throw in two wedges instead of the 3-PW?

Different set makeups is a question on the list for Greg, so hopefully will find out more there soon.

seeing the specs, and going off of some of what Hawk has mentioned so far. These just don't generate the interest for me. They seem to be more along the lines of the 588 CB iron(just for comparison). More of a players cavity iron and players lofts. I just don't think I'd get the enjoyment out of playing them. 599 price isn't a bad starting point, esp for what they are.

I think these have a killer price point compared to others in this category.

The lofts don't bother me as they are close to my current gamers and my set I have coming and should ideally play well for me distance wise. Would definitely like to give these a test run.

I think these have a killer price point compared to others in this category.

The lofts don't bother me as they are close to my current gamers and my set I have coming and should ideally play well for me distance wise. Would definitely like to give these a test run.

For sure. There are quite a few players how enjoy this type of makeup.

Just got done talking to Greg. Always a pleasure and he had lots of excitement about the DJ21's, as well some teasers about what to expect in year two of Hopkins Golf.

With wedges I like to re grip and just keep sharpening the grooves. My carbites both 56 and 60 I ground myself back in 03'. I see no point in ever replacing them. They are awesome and bite like a pit bull.

With wedges I like to re grip and just keep sharpening the grooves. My carbites both 56 and 60 I ground myself back in 03'. I see no point in ever replacing them. They are awesome and bite like a pit bull.

Are they still conforming?

Are they still conforming?
Nope. But for tournaments I'll game my 12' newer black pearls. Should've been a grandfather clause for my carbites but the company no longer exists and Corey Pavin bought the remaining inventory back in 03'.

Sorry for the delays in updates. Took a week off and that includes product testing.

I took the DJ21's to the range tonight. Better conditions than last time (no wind) and a better hitting surface as well, which was nice.

I'll reiterate some early thoughts - they feel and look quite nice. I can't imagine anybody but the pickiest golfers not liking the way they look at address. Smaller blade size, lower offset, and a thinner topline are very nice. Not really intimidating by any means.

Almost exactly one club shorter than my VRS Forged/MCI combo. I was hitting a Hopkins 7 iron to the same flag as the VRS 8 iron and distances were basically identical, though if I really got into the VRS it was a little longer than that. A few yards.

Height is definitely lower than what I'm seeing with the VRS/MCI setup. More penetrating I suppose would be the cool way to say it, but it was flatter and peaked lower. Not bullets or line drives by any means, and if I really stayed down on the ball I could get it high-ish, but for the most part mid to mid-high height.

Forgiveness isn't always easy to judge with the naked eye imo, but having two irons that went the same distance on good swings gave me a good point of reference. They aren't a forgiving iron, though I assume most of you would have gathered that already. Misses low (real low) on the face resulted in line drives that were a good 20 yards short of the well struck shots. In contrast, the same miss with my gamer irons was slightly higher, but also carried almost the full 150 yards (obviously the trajectory would still make that an unattractive miss). Lateral misses weren't punished quite as badly, but again - losses were indicative of the type or iron this is. Certainly for the better ball striker.

Nice write-up, Hawk. I'm liking what I am hearing.

The price point is solid. Kind of surprised that the KBS tours aren't offered in X flex.

like that the lofts aren't jacked up. More traditional but not sure I'd replace my CB3s with these. Have yet to find a set as balanced and all around playability as my current irons.

Interesting stuff, Hawk. The lower trajectory makes these a bit if a turn off for me....but i still want to hit them

I think you'd give up a little forgiveness coming from CB3's for sure. Not a big amount, but more than likely a little.

Interesting stuff, Hawk. The lower trajectory makes these a bit if a turn off for me....but i still want to hit them

Would be fun to see what a more ideal shaft would do for me, but that's not in the cards at the moment.

These sound like a fun iron, similar to what I'm used to in design. I think I would enjoy these for sure.

These sound like a fun iron, similar to what I'm used to in design. I think I would enjoy these for sure.

You'd like em for sure.

You think you'd have a bit better flight with KBS Tours opposed to the DG?

You think you'd have a bit better flight with KBS Tours opposed to the DG?

Maybe so. That's a pretty hefty and stiff shaft for me. I don't put a lot of spin on the ball.

Maybe so. That's a pretty hefty and stiff shaft for me. I don't put a lot of spin on the ball.

That's what I thought I remembered from other club reviews. I'd be curious if you picked up a few of those yards back with a shaft that got it in the air a bit more?

That's what I thought I remembered from other club reviews. I'd be curious if you picked up a few of those yards back with a shaft that got it in the air a bit more?

It's possible. I'd get a more playable distance if that makes sense. Typically setups with lower than optimal spin look really good for me on the monitor, but don't work out as well in real life.

Makes total sense. You'd also at least get a flight that gave you more likelihood of a land and stop opposed to possibly running out on you. No one likes the latter haha

Makes total sense. You'd also at least get a flight that gave you more likelihood of a land and stop opposed to possibly running out on you. No one likes the latter haha

Especially noticeable on less than center contact.

Regardless, considering the fact they are S400's and a players' profile, I'm still hitting them a reasonable trajectory.

Especially noticeable on less than center contact.

Regardless, considering the fact they are S400's and a players' profile, I'm still hitting them a reasonable trajectory.

Absolutely, mid to mid high gets the job done without question. I just know there's optimum flight, and preferred visual flight

Back