WTB: SGI iron set, .25 - 1" long, reg flex

chicogolf

This game's fun GDit
Reaction score
Handicap
Hi Folks

Trolling for a friend. He's probably a 30 handicap and wants to play more. He's 6'4" and the ancient std length clubs are clearly too short for him. He wants something functional before embarking in lessons. If said lessons take, he says he'll do a proper fitting and upgrade the irons. Right-Handed.

$ is an issue and budget us around $200. Is this even possible? Comments in whether he is going about this the right way / suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Unless someone has something sitting around, best bet may be to look for a set of Adams A3OS, A5OS, or A7OS...
I have a set of A3 sitting around as my back up/loaner set but they are Regular/Standard length.

Last edited:
I also saw the burner 2.0 irons on sale at golf galaxy for 223 new..maybe an option

He might actually be able to play current standard length. I know my old set from early 90's that I added a .5" to are basically the same length as the current SGI/GI clubs in stock form. With that being said, he should be able to find some used clubs like Wilson Di line or the Adams mentioned above for under $150.00 shipped of the bay.

yea, I used to be +1" (I'm 6'5") with my old Mizuno MX-20's, and my current irons are slightly longer at +.5". I like the trend...in another 10 years i should be able to play standard!

I'm 6'5 and have some PING I20's +1/2 green dot (2.25* up) I might part with but it will take a little more than 200$. Send me a PM maybe we can work something out.

Sent PM about Adams CB3 irons.

wow guys, thanks so much. I will consult with him and return PM's ASAP.

I thinking I'm starting to agree with a couple folks that he should probably just to reg. His swing is pretty ugly right now. He's super athletic and strong, so I figured stiff, but his swing is going to undergo some serious changes, likely. I swung reg for years no problem until being custom fit into my PX 5.5's.

I'm also going to have him swing my clubs and/or check them to his current length.

also, seems lots of graphite shafts connected to these age / combo of clubs. He should stay away from graphite, right?

I also saw the burner 2.0 irons on sale at golf galaxy for 223 new..maybe an option

I sent him those links as well. Perhaps he can push the budget.

also, seems lots of graphite shafts connected to these age / combo of clubs. He should stay away from graphite, right?

they are worth a try IMO, people tend to think graphite is for old coots, but I tried a few and they work just as good as steel, assuming you get the right shaft for your swing

Did you find anything. I have a set of Titleist AP1 with project x rifle shafts. 5-gap With new CP2 grips for 200 + shipping.

PM sent...

Edit: not sure if I'm supposed to post that here. PM sent

Last edited:
they are worth a try IMO, people tend to think graphite is for old coots, but I tried a few and they work just as good as steel, assuming you get the right shaft for your swing

As an old coot who has tried graphite, I think people would be surprised at the subtle difference in feel against steel. Accuracy is still very good but the shock at impact is dampened so it is good on the joints. I am thinking about going back to graphite in my next set of irons. As MPlefty says, it all comes down to being the right shaft for your swing.

Not sure if you found anything but I recently bought a brand new set of cobra baffler graphite shafted irons R flex 4i-GW. They are due to arrive tomorrow and not 100% sure I want them now. I am a shorter player 5'4" and their std length is pretty long for me. I'd be looking at shortening more than an inch which doesn't appeal to me. These are about as max game improvement as you can get. Price would be right around you budget and brand new not used. Pm me and maybe we can work something out.

Thanks for the offers, guys. It appears he definitely needs .25 - .5 over standard in most clubs we've looked at. We will continue to look at each set independently, of course, as some 'standard' length are longer than others.

Much appreciated.

Back