Things That Irritate You On the Course?

So usually im a fair tempered golfer. I l9ve to have fun, cut up and just enjoy the day.

Last week I met a single who literally made me want to choke him. He was wearing basketball shorts and a tee shirt, blaring music that had nothing but obscenities in it. Told me in the tee box that my swing had too many mov8ng parts and id never be good at golf. I delt with all this in a very positive way..I tee off right side of the fairway, he hits his ob and in the woods.. he then turns to me and ask if I had a ball he could borrow.. he was left on the tee box...

So that kind of guy irritates me.

I laughed really hard at this.

~Rock

Gotta say, I don't mind fixing other peoples ball marks. I have been doing that since I started playing golf - feels natural to me. I do understand that it would piss other people off, tho.
My thing now, is texting. It drives me nuts when I am golfing, usually with my usual group of guys, when they are constantly on their phones, texting who knows whom, and aren't playing ready golf.

Gotta say, I don't mind fixing other peoples ball marks. I have been doing that since I started playing golf - feels natural to me. I do understand that it would piss other people off, tho.
My thing now, is texting. It drives me nuts when I am golfing, usually with my usual group of guys, when they are constantly on their phones, texting who knows whom, and aren't playing ready golf.

I wish more courses would forbid cell phones.

I wish more courses would forbid cell phones.

I dont. I just wish people only used their phones when necessary. Between work, having kids at home, family emergencies I think banning use of cell phones is a little over the top.

Happened yesterday.. Got hooked up w/ a twosome and they were SHARING a putter!! Really? If there is one club ur prob gonna need its a putter

How many times are you on the range practicing and you're subjected to someone using a cell phone loudly carrying on a conversation - in fact, loud conversations on the range in itself is a irritant - harder to concentrate, at least for me.

I don't always invite a single to join in - sometimes I'll look back and see some bad shots and know it'll be miserable. Other times I want to spent alone time with the person I'm golfing with. Sometimes I see singles out there who think they should be able to play through every group on the course even when the groups are all keeping up. It's really the single's responsibility to find a game, or find a rhythm that doesn't push the people he's following. Pull out another ball, hit several putts, chips. Or if needed, ask the people behind to join up. I play a lot as a single and have learned to keep my distance and not pressure the group ahead - some rather not play with strangers, especially if they're relatively new to the game and struggling.

You're a deep thinker. I wonder if the time spent in solitaire is as rewarding as the time spent suffering, even if the reward goes to the other player.

You're a deep thinker. I wonder if the time spent in solitaire is as rewarding as the time spent suffering, even if the reward goes to the other player.

when you're sitting at restaurant table eating with another and see a single on another table, do you invite them to sit with you? why not? same thing - sometimes I prefer to have time w/ the person I'm golfing with and if I spend $30-40 to have fun relaxing time, I just might not invite you to join in, especially if it looks like you just learned to play last week.

How many times are you on the range practicing and you're subjected to someone using a cell phone loudly carrying on a conversation - in fact, loud conversations on the range in itself is a irritant - harder to concentrate, at least for me.
No joke. Ive seen a guy with one of those duel earphone style bluetooths on the range..

Things That Irritate You On the Course?

I don't always invite a single to join in - sometimes I'll look back and see some bad shots and know it'll be miserable. Other times I want to spent alone time with the person I'm golfing with. Sometimes I see singles out there who think they should be able to play through every group on the course even when the groups are all keeping up. It's really the single's responsibility to find a game, or find a rhythm that doesn't push the people he's following. Pull out another ball, hit several putts, chips. Or if needed, ask the people behind to join up. I play a lot as a single and have learned to keep my distance and not pressure the group ahead - some rather not play with strangers, especially if they're relatively new to the game and struggling.

I played as a single a couple weeks ago and caught an older obviously retired twosome married couple in front after a half dozen holes. I knew they were out there and purposely played 2-3 balls from tees and into greens to practice. After I got within sight they told how ranger to tell me I could join them, but I respectfully declined. They looked like a cute
Older couple and were having fun. They didn't need me interrupting their date. I just kept a normal pace and checked a few emails, found a few extra balls along the way. Eventually I played through at their request as they scoured a dried up creek for enough balls to last through retirement. I thanked them for their kind offer And went about my day.

This held nobody up and I finished in 3:30

It was a Tuesday afternoon though. On a weekend I try not to fly solo. It just screws up everyone to have a single out there sandwiched between groups. I'll wait and pair up or ask them to pair me when I call and if they can't I'll find another course that can. I have more respect for everyone's time to do anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You should have played through, if your pace is fast good for you if someone else's is slow good for them. We all pay to play and and enjoy ourselves out on the course. I play a 4 1/2 hour round usually and have had people behind me hitting into us and trying to play a fast round. I've had people in front of me taking their time and playing a 6 hour round. Either way I try to play my round so if there is room I'll ask the group behind me to play through and will ask to play through a slow group. The one thing I do not do is get judgmental and blame one thing as "what is wrong with golf"

9 out of 10 slow groups:
a) don't realize their slow
b) realize their slow but don't give a crap
c) never invite faster groups to play through

I'm not trying to offend anyone on here but slow play is such an epidemic in my area that I'm simply through being polite about it. In fact, overall politeness regarding slow play has gotten golf absolutely nowhere. Slow play IS a problem. It's time we were all part of the solution.
I should add that I'm not a 'speed golfer' by any means and I'm perfectly happy to play a round in 4 hours, 4.5 hours on a weekend. There is no good conceivable reason why any round of golf should take longer than that.

I hate the guy who just hit his driver off a tee, less than two hundred yards, then from 250 out stands there waiting for the green to clear on a par 5. To make things worse, he usually tops his next shot and trickles it less than 100 yards

I dont. I just wish people only used their phones when necessary. Between work, having kids at home, family emergencies I think banning use of cell phones is a little over the top.

Personally, if cellphones were UNinvented it would make my day.

I would stop playing those courses.

One less guy I have to invite to my club. :wink:

Is Appleton near Lasonia (sp?). My dad used to play there every year. Older course, but it's supposed to be nice.

One less guy I have to invite to my club. :wink:

Is Appleton near Lasonia (sp?). My dad used to play there every year. Older course, but it's supposed to be nice.

About an hour NE of Lawsonia. It's a fantastic complex. It's in a bit of an isolated area with little to do otherwise it would be perfect for a THP event.

I agree with this. I will say, since I got a rangefinder, I haven't been taking my phone out of my pocket for scoring or GPS, and it's sort of been a breath of fresh air. I done see any email or voicemail alerts, and lets me focus more on the task at hand.

The straggler. 3 move quickly from the green, one stays behind fiddling with the bag, rearranging clubs, then adding up the scorecard. This usually comes after you've been standing over you ball in the fairway for a few minutes waiting for the green to clear.

Equipment guy kills me. You know the guy who can rattle off all the specs, pricing of everyone's gear and wants to hold and see everything. Always digging in people's bags at the club house

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Guy who takes his time at everything.

Hits a roller.
Looks at his club like something happened.
Kicks at the ground a bit. Wanders slowly back to cart. Cleans club.
Puts club away.
Drives 60 yards to ball.
Gets out and mosies to the bag. Digs around for a club like it really matters which one he picks.
Gets one out.
Hits a shot fat 30 yards short of the green.
Rinse and repeat all day.

Save me some hours of my life and at least put a club away and take one out all at once... Not one at a time.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

My buddies and I play pretty fast and slow play doesn't bother me too much if the group will allow you to play through. I also don't get too bothered if people come screaming up behind you, as long as they play through and continue their pace....

what irks me is the people that come screaming up behind you, and then slow WAY the hell down once you let them play through. You know the type, hurrying their approaches and not lining up there putts before... now all of a sudden they are ahead of you and decide to hit multiple approaches and line up putts like it's a sunday tournament... just be consistent

I love this game. I did let things bother me but I have realized I am out in beautiful weather chasing a little white ball, so how bad could it be. I have also realized the more things bother me on the course it effects my game. So I try not to let anything bother me on the course.

So I go out as a single a lot and more times then not I walk but the times you are in cart with a stranger could make me crazy. So the guy now's the course and he giving you advice you do not want or he starts giving you tips. I kindly say thanks and please just let me play. I have a real good understanding of my misses.

Im sure its been mensioned but as thisbhappened recently...

The guy who dowsnt know how to drive the cart, how to drop a guy off and come back and where to park it... #rantover

Back