Garage hitting net - permanent-ish fixture?

rbarthle17

One-length advocate
Reaction score
Handicap
cold rain
So it looks like my car is going to be staying outdoors a lot more than it used to. About a month ago I turned over my side of the garage to my Callaway hitting net. I have a bucket of balls that golfers have donated to our backyard (and keep doing on average 4-5 balls a week) next to a 3x5 hitting mat. I cut the bottom off of a fairway wood brush tee that is the perfect height for my driver and it sits in a rubber tee made for holding real tees that, without a tee in it, is the perfect height for teeing it up with irons or hybrids.

Originally I did this because I was having a lot of time issues getting to the practice range, even though it's just 2 minutes from my house. Life keeps getting in the way. I set it up one evening, and out of laziness more than anything did not tear it down and left the car outside. The next day, I needed a break from work. It occurred to me that I could escape for 10 minutes and get some swings in! This was great! At that time I realized my car could withstand being outside, and that this was a much better usage of garage space for me.

In the last month I have spent more time working on my swing than I probably have in the previous year, just because I can. I stick to the PW-5hy range for 95% of the swings. I'll take my mini sized mat out to the driveway and do chipping occasionally for distance, and really only swing the 2-4hy and driver a couple of times a week off the tees.

In an effort to protect my clubs, I wrapped the bottom of the garage door opener unit with unused baby table padding that we had. I have bumped it a few times on the dropping of my longer clubs after the follow through is complete, already making it worth it. I also disabled the garage door from catching should someone accidentally hit the garage opener button on my side.

Yesterday I came to another realization, I don't have to spend money at the range for warmup buckets before a round! I played for the first time in 2 weeks last night. I took about 5 minutes of swings getting a basic full swing warmup in, then hopped in the car. As soon as I hit the course I went right to the putting and chipping greens and was ready to go in 10 minutes. I shot a 42 with a blowup hole and one bad putt that cost me a PB and maybe my first time breaking 40! My ball striking was the best it's been all year by a long shot, I can already see the dividends of the practice there.

Until winter arrives, I think I've got something going here! Sorry car. :blob:

Love it! I have a net set up on cables so I can push it up against the wall when not in use and still get a car in. Definitely a permanent fixture to me garage.

a3anezu5.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I think thats a great idea. Now just add a launch monitor and your all set!

Nice post! I've thought long & hard about this - I would really like to have a spot year-round to do this, but my wife doesn't like the idea. Still, I'll keep looking for a work-around! Keep up the good work, man!

Love it! I have a net set up on cables so I can push it up against the wall when not in use and still get a car in. Definitely a permanent fixture to me garage.

a3anezu5.jpg

Great idea! Where did you get the net? What material is it?

Great idea! Where did you get the net? What material is it?
I got it from a my father in laws friend. I believe it's nylon and made for archery (at least that's what I found from google). The knots are really small and does a good job stopping the ball...Although I did hit through it this past winter. I need to get another piece of net to go in the hitting zone for added protection.

hitting-net.jpg

The only change I made from this photo was I took the bag of road salt in the background and laid it on the back of the stand for bracing. It's not as clean as AMart's setup, but I'll have to move it fully if I need to bring the car in, but I can lean it on the wall next to the garage door with about 2 minutes of work.

I currently have a similar set up going on. But once my house is done being built my third stall is being converted in to complete golf center. I'm hoping to put a launch monitor and putting area in there as well.

Good stuff. I have a one car garage. Car hasn't been inside it for almost a year now. Erica doesn't really love that, but what can you do.

Good stuff. I have a one car garage. Car hasn't been inside it for almost a year now. Erica doesn't really love that, but what can you do.

I'm thinking when it gets below freezing the car will be back in there. Also when it threatens to hail I'll err on the side of caution and not risk it.

The tradeoff for me is that I have scrape the cars off in winter. Small price lol.

What kind of floor to ceiling heights do you guys have? I want to put a setup in my garage, but Im worried about the height of the ceiling. I can work around the door track and opener motor, but it just makes me nervous...

Probably 10 feet in the garage? I do have some garage door opener issues that affect where I can set up.

What kind of floor to ceiling heights do you guys have? I want to put a setup in my garage, but Im worried about the height of the ceiling. I can work around the door track and opener motor, but it just makes me nervous...

I'm also about 10 feet for the ceiling, but I had to set up around the garage door tracks. I found the spot that allows me to take a full swing and not hit any of them. But I padded the unit itself just to be safe.

hitting-net.jpg

The only change I made from this photo was I took the bag of road salt in the background and laid it on the back of the stand for bracing. It's not as clean as AMart's setup, but I'll have to move it fully if I need to bring the car in, but I can lean it on the wall next to the garage door with about 2 minutes of work.

What net is that? It looks fantastic!

I am thinking about setting something up, but there is no way I will be able to leave it set up all the time. My other half will not stand for her car not being in the garage in the winter. And since the garage is only one stall, well... There you go. So I will be looking for something that disassembles easily.

I have no garage (just a carport, and the ceiling height on that is too low), so my deck has turned into my hitting range. It's amazing how much my ball striking has improved in just a short period of time.

My wife and I are building a house now and the upstairs will have a nice sized room with a high enough ceiling for me to swing my clubs, so I'm definitely planning to come up with some sort of set up that allows me to hit balls.
If I ever get to build some sort of enclosed shed/shop, then it could eventually get relocated, but time will tell.

This is great, and exactly my plan if we get the house were looking at buying.

It has a garage that the guy has disabled the door and semi finished. I've already convinced my wife that it will be my man cave, and a hitting net and mat are in my plans. Launch monitor is something I'd like to do as well.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

This exact situation started me and my buddies idea for our simulator business. We just put up a heavy duty green tarp in his pole barn and pounded balls most of the winter! Even when the temp was below freezing we were still hitting balls. Broke quite a few also ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I added the hitting target to my net a couple of weeks back. I like it for two reasons. One for the targeting itself, but two it saves wear on the net. I seem to have worn out one small section of netting and a hole is there the size of a golf ball.

If you can set something up like this, do so! Especially if you are trying to groove solid contact it's great. I plan to hit an actual range once a month to see where the ball is going since I can't tell spin into the net and cannot afford a launch monitor that would track sidespin. But just getting 10-15 swings a day in is great not only for my game but for stress relief as well.

Garage hitting net - permanent-ish fixture?

So it looks like my car is going to be staying outdoors a lot more than it used to. About a month ago I turned over my side of the garage to my Callaway hitting net. I have a bucket of balls that golfers have donated to our backyard (and keep doing on average 4-5 balls a week) next to a 3x5 hitting mat. I cut the bottom off of a fairway wood brush tee that is the perfect height for my driver and it sits in a rubber tee made for holding real tees that, without a tee in it, is the perfect height for teeing it up with irons or hybrids.

Originally I did this because I was having a lot of time issues getting to the practice range, even though it's just 2 minutes from my house. Life keeps getting in the way. I set it up one evening, and out of laziness more than anything did not tear it down and left the car outside. The next day, I needed a break from work. It occurred to me that I could escape for 10 minutes and get some swings in! This was great! At that time I realized my car could withstand being outside, and that this was a much better usage of garage space for me.

In the last month I have spent more time working on my swing than I probably have in the previous year, just because I can. I stick to the PW-5hy range for 95% of the swings. I'll take my mini sized mat out to the driveway and do chipping occasionally for distance, and really only swing the 2-4hy and driver a couple of times a week off the tees.

In an effort to protect my clubs, I wrapped the bottom of the garage door opener unit with unused baby table padding that we had. I have bumped it a few times on the dropping of my longer clubs after the follow through is complete, already making it worth it. I also disabled the garage door from catching should someone accidentally hit the garage opener button on my side.

Yesterday I came to another realization, I don't have to spend money at the range for warmup buckets before a round! I played for the first time in 2 weeks last night. I took about 5 minutes of swings getting a basic full swing warmup in, then hopped in the car. As soon as I hit the course I went right to the putting and chipping greens and was ready to go in 10 minutes. I shot a 42 with a blowup hole and one bad putt that cost me a PB and maybe my first time breaking 40! My ball striking was the best it's been all year by a long shot, I can already see the dividends of the practice there.

Until winter arrives, I think I've got something going here! Sorry car. :blob:

Which hitting mat are you using?

Last edited:
Which hitting mat are you using?

I can't find it in my eBay or Amazon history, but it's a basic 2x3 mat. Has three tee holes for RH and one for LH.

Back