considering a iron change

Art M

Reaction score
Handicap
I am considering a possible iron change. I am currently gaming adams cb3 with kbs tour stiff shafts. I am shooting consistently at 90, struggling more with keeping the driver in check and occasionally 3 putting. The middle game is good. I am always looking on ebay for a great deal. Like the wilson m3 stiff set that just went for 380! My only con with the cb3 is that, boy do I hit them high. I get good distance, 7i plays about 165-170. And I find them a bit lengthy.
After demoing a few I have found I like: wilson m3 (also hit those a bit high with the stiff steel standard shaft), Mizuno mp-h4 (great flight, feel and distance with s300 shaft), bridgestone dpc j40 (trying to get a few in on demo).
My concern is that after purchasing any of these that although they felt good at the range, I may have trouble gaming them. any comments regarding this topic are welcomed. thanks

I did not care for the CB3 so I am the wrong person to ask. They are solid irons, without a doubt, just greatly preferred other releases. Out of those you mentioned, I very much thought the J40 DPC was the best of the bunch. I must say for me personally however. They offered a great blend of performance and forgiveness and looked fantastic.

Far be it from me to suggest not getting new gear but if your mid game is the best part of the game, it sounds like they're working. For a person with an 18 handicap, a high trajectory, ~170 yard 7 iron should be a reason to keep them. Based on your limited information (few 3 putts, for instance), it sounds like you need to work on your tees and your short game. Both of those offer technology that might truly help your game. If you get a regular, straight ~225 drive and a dependable short game, looks like your handicap is headed to JB's level.

But if you just want new gear, I understand. We all ponder that stuff because, to be quite honest, the gear is part of the fun.

Mine's headed the wrong way, but thanks for the compliment. :act-up:

Fell into a set of mp69's and they feel like butter. So pure!

If you are not struggling with your current set of irons i would maybe spend the money on a lesson to get your driver right hitting irons high is not a bad thing it makes it easy to hold greens of the irons you tested i like the DPC J40's the best felt very solid and had a nice flight for me

I know, don't change that which is not broken. Long and short irons work well and consictent. My average putt per round is down to 2.1, getting better. My average drive in play is about 250. Emphasis on in play. lol I have taken lessons very recently and they helped greatly. CONSISTENCY, day in day out, is the issue. "But if you just want new gear, I understand. We all ponder that stuff because, to be quite honest, the gear is part of the fun." Thanks

Have you thought about a lower launching iron shaft or you just want a new set?

I've got to echo what some of the others have said, sounds like you are okay with the irons and need to spend time elsewhere (i.e., by my liberal arts math 2.1 avg is almost 38 putts per round.)

I've got to echo what some of the others have said, sounds like you are okay with the irons and need to spend time elsewhere (i.e., by my liberal arts math 2.1 avg is almost 38 putts per round.)

i see you play 2 of the 3 clubs i mentioned. agreed, putting needs help, as i mentioned. i've never had the good fortune of playing with anyone that one putts more than 3 times a round, maybe.

I am considering a possible iron change. I am currently gaming adams cb3 with kbs tour stiff shafts. I am shooting consistently at 90, struggling more with keeping the driver in check and occasionally 3 putting. The middle game is good. I am always looking on ebay for a great deal. Like the wilson m3 stiff set that just went for 380! My only con with the cb3 is that, boy do I hit them high. I get good distance, 7i plays about 165-170. And I find them a bit lengthy.
After demoing a few I have found I like: wilson m3 (also hit those a bit high with the stiff steel standard shaft), Mizuno mp-h4 (great flight, feel and distance with s300 shaft), bridgestone dpc j40 (trying to get a few in on demo).
My concern is that after purchasing any of these that although they felt good at the range, I may have trouble gaming them. any comments regarding this topic are welcomed. thanks
Uhmmm...don't mean to be rude but you admit you struggle with driver and putter and your middle(iron) play is good yet you want to sell your premium CB3's??? I'm not understanding your logic bro. Can you explain please. The forged Adams CB3 irons are some of the best all around irons in the world bar none offering playability to golfers of a wide scope of playing level. I love mine. I suppose if I did replace them then it would be with some Ping I20's that I can groove with my swing pretty good. Trust me .....if you're struggling it's not your sweet irons. Look elsewhere like a new driver and or flatstick big guy. Peace

If you're ballooning shots it's probably due to a swing issue. The KBS stock stiff has been a sound shaft offering and if anything I hit more of a low, penetrating ball flight with them.

Of the ones you are looking at, I like the J40 DPCs. They are pretty forgiving and the test driving program they offer is pretty nice too, as it allows you to demo different shafts so you could find something that would give you a better ball flight.

Of the ones you are looking at, I like the J40 DPCs. They are pretty forgiving and the test driving program they offer is pretty nice too, as it allows you to demo different shafts so you could find something that would give you a better ball flight.

If you made a change i think the J40 DPCs would treat you well, but i like my ADAMs CB3s just fine, even though i do wonder about the 714 AP1s and the Callaway Apex

The DPCs will really help misses on the bottom grooves and out by the toe, without really promoting a ton of extra launch.

Of the bunch, I'd encourage them. They can be had for a nice deal right now, and are every bit as competitive as other irons on the market that are similar in profile.

Nothing wrong with considering a change. Heck I want to change my clubs out every other round. I am always pondering change but can never seem to pull the trigger.

If you made a change i think the J40 DPCs would treat you well, but i like my ADAMs CB3s just fine, even though i do wonder about the 714 AP1s and the Callaway Apex

Not to get this thread moving too far off course, but I don't have any experience with the AP1s other than what I have read here. The Apex are a great, great set of irons--I really like the combo set I have. My misses left and right aren't penalized too harshly unless I put an absolutely horrible swing on it. Lots of nice shaft options for no upcharge.

If you're ballooning shots it's probably due to a swing issue. The KBS stock stiff has been a sound shaft offering and if anything I hit more of a low, penetrating ball flight with them.
I don't think a 170 yard 7i is really ballooning. I agree with with everyone else make the changes to what is not working and not your irons. But as a club ho myself I know what it's like to make reasons to just get new equipment. CB3s are nice, DPCs are nice(they never really fit my eye), MP4s are sexy (i think the Ez forged would probably be a better fit for you though ).But truthfully there are so many sets out there that if you really want new clubs you need to find what works best for you.

I don't think a 170 yard 7i is really ballooning. I agree with with everyone else make the changes to what is not working and not your irons. But as a club ho myself I know what it's like to make reasons to just get new equipment. CB3s are nice, DPCs are nice(they never really fit my eye), MP4s are sexy (i think the Ez forged would probably be a better fit for you though ).But truthfully there are so many sets out there that if you really want new clubs you need to find what works best for you.
Exactly.....extra yardage is usually cause for celebration. At the end of the day we all try to rationalize a golf purchase. I've done it many times and continue to do so. I have a set of Cobra Amp Silvers 4-GW and a set of JPX EZ 4-PW cast and they're both still in the box. More for decoration if anything.

i see you play 2 of the 3 clubs i mentioned.
They are both good, just a little different. I think the DPC's are A+ on look and feel and very good on performance. The MPH4's are a bit bigger and not quite as soft at impact for me, but they are more forgiving and have a little extra distance.

Back