HuskerFan24

Reaction score
Handicap
I pulled out my clubs today to hit a few balls and noticed a little surface rust. Any one know a good way to clean this up?

Play with them a few times the rust will wear off i would not try to clean them it could damage the finish

Surface Rust

Don't Put them in some coca cola

Last edited by a moderator:
Rust adds mojo.

Pings will rust out if you live near the ocean but I noticed you're in Nebraska. There's always the iron factory but in all honesty rust has never bothered me or my game for that matter.

I pulled out my clubs today to hit a few balls and noticed a little surface rust. Any one know a good way to clean this up?

A thick paste of baking soda and water will take that rust off without damaging the finish. Just use your thumb to apply the paste, rub briskly, rinse and dry.

Am I mistaken in thinking this completely strips the finish from a club?
works great to speed up rust on raw finished wedge

A mod should delete or edit that post before someone skims and ruins their club.

I would assume he did it out of ignorance as opposed to being malicious.

Coke and all equivalents are great for cleaning rust off of anything. However, a less harsh way of taking care if the rust is using a very light grade of steel wool and soap/water. Lightly brush with the steel wool and that should do ya.

Am I mistaken in thinking this completely strips the finish from a club?
Coke only strips stained finishes like the Vokey oil can. It doesn't do anything to chrome or stainless steel irons like those Pings.

A mod should delete or edit that post before someone skims and ruins their club.

I would assume he did it out of ignorance as opposed to being malicious.

Agree. Coke is ok to drink, but other than that it has no place in golf. Just use Flitz; http://www.flitz.com/

Coke only strips stained finishes like the Vokey oil can. It doesn't do anything to chrome or stainless steel irons like those Pings.

This. Yes.

I've got pings as well and I have rust on my clubfaces and my shafts. I've had them for less than a year but I live in a humid environment

definitely wasn't trying to ruin anybody's clubs but for stainless steel, coke isn't going to hurt it....

do you store your clubs in the trunk of uour car, do you put iron head covers on and do you clean and wipe (COMPLETELY DRY) your sticks after each round???

do you store your clubs in the trunk of uour car, do you put iron head covers on and do you clean and wipe (COMPLETELY DRY) your sticks after each round???

I typically don't store them in my car, but did have them in it for a few days. It was when I went to a lesson recently that I noticed it. I have since decided they will only be in the basement unless I am using them. After each time out, I do clean them and wipe them down.

I haven't done anything at this point to remedy the rust because I like to be fully informed before jumping all in.

A thick paste of baking soda and water will take that rust off without damaging the finish. Just use your thumb to apply the paste, rub briskly, rinse and dry.

Anyone else have success with this?

DufferToo - I assume the rubbing is just done with your finger?

Anyone else have success with this?

DufferToo - I assume the rubbing is just done with your finger?

Yes, I glop (technical term) the baking soda paste on with my hand and rub with my thumb/fingers. Unless you've got Popeye forearms I can't see how you could generate enough force to damage anything w/o trying.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

haven't had rust issues since the turn of the century and the newer stainless steel alloys they use in coubheads that are both soft, forgiving steel and guaranteed not to rust. Now that's not to say they won't because a buddy of mine has some 06 big berthas that are showing spots of rust. Older irons were made of iron and were designed to rust over time.

Back