How do you hit 200 yards?

Good.Shepherd

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm just curious how you guys do it.

I can hit less. Easy.

I can hit more. 230+ with a fairway wood but it's hard to be precise.

Yet on Par 4s, I often find myself 200 yards out and it's an awkward but common distance for me. So I'm just curious how you guys hit it--clubs, swing percentage, etc--and if you are accurate in that range.

I use a hybrid and mine are real straight.

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, but how often do you find yourself hitting that yardage into a green?

Because if I found myself pulling out a 4 hybrid, a club I hit about 190 yards, every hole, or nearly every hole, I'd move up a set of tees.

200 is about how far my 3-hybrid goes. I'm not confident I'd put it on a green more than once in 10 tries, honestly. I don't think that's a yardage that's very fair for a bogey golfer to see hitting into a green more than maybe twice in 18 holes...and that's assuming one of those is off a tee.

This might not be the answer you expect - I often don't.

As a 15-handicap, the chances for me hitting a green from 200 yards out is not good. If there is no trouble around, I might try it. But more often than not, my chances of executing such a shot and not ending up in the trouble around the green may be under 30% if there's a lot of trouble. If so, I may well hit a 100 yard layup and try to get up and down. If not, I'll walk away content with my bogey.

If there's not much trouble around the green and I do decide to go for it, a 5-wood will generally get me there.

And as Paladin says, if it's a frequent occurrence, you may need to consider moving up a set of tees. You should be hitting 6 or 7 irons at most more often than not, not 4-irons or 5-woods. Obviously there will be times when you have a bad shot, but with a good drive, if you're constantly pulling long clubs for your approach, you're playing from too far back.

200 is a 4H all the way but it is a distance i only seem to find as a 2 on a short par 5 or par 3

200 is a long 3-iron or a choked down hyrbid for me depending on if short or long is a better result. I like to play courses where I hit every club in my bag so, while I agree with those that say you shouldn't have this shot every hole, having a couple of long 4s, mid-range 5s or longish 3s to take on each round makes it interesting. I just came back from playing a course in Spain where 2 of the par 3s were legitimate hybrids for me off the tee and a couple of the par 4s could be if I didn't bomb a drive. Then again I hit 3-iron into a couple of the par 5s. Interesting course.

My 200 yard shot tends to be a skulled chip from 15 yards off the green....

6 iron, maybe 5 if wind is a factor

Just a straight up 200y shot is my 6 iron and accuracy isn't the greatest. I'm happy landing it on the green.

I feel your pain. The 200-220 gap was my primary reason for switching irons. I didn't encounter that 200 yard shot much on par 4s, but I sure saw it a lot on long 3's or short 5's. My top end 4 iron would only go about 195 so I was stuck. I switched to modern distance irons and now 200 is an easy 5.

With 200 out and no trouble I will pull my hybrid and be more aggressive. If there is some trouble them it's my 6i (185 max) and play to the safe side of the green. Sometime rollout or firm conditions might get me closer, but that is not the intended result. I want a 20-30 us pitch shot at worse.

It seems like this distance becomes a course management decision for you and I would say hit to a yardage you are comfortable with as the next shot. Scoring and scoring well should be the only thought and it doesn't matter how you get your par/bogey, just that you get it.

For me I find that I pull a 5 iron or 4 iron on a 200 yard shot. Is it my most comfortable yardage? Definitely not, but I rarely run into it during a round.

It depends on what the conditions are, but generally a 4 or 5 iron, or my 20 hybrid for a 200 yd shot.

200yards is a 5iron all day every day for me.

A full 4 iron for me

Full 5i.

4 hybrid (23 degrees of loft).

Same here.

If I am constantly 200 out on a par4, I'm not happy. I don't care how repeatable one's swing is - 200 yards is a long way for the ball to travel. If that is my common yardage on a par4, I'm moving up a tee.

If I am constantly 200 out on a par4, I'm not happy. I don't care how repeatable one's swing is - 200 yards is a long way for the ball to travel. If that is my common yardage on a par4, I'm moving up a tee.

Agreed. Although, if I'm constantly around 200 yards for a approach into a Par 4, my driving is either terrible that day or I'm playing a lot of Par 4s that are pushing 500 yards (or have some really sinister doglegs).

3 hybo and hope for the best

200 is a 5i for me

Agreed. Although, if I'm constantly around 200 yards for a approach into a Par 4, my driving is either terrible that day or I'm playing a lot of Par 4s that are pushing 500 yards (or have some really sinister doglegs).

Oh no doubt. A 200 yard approach shots on par4 should be the result of an oops, usually, IMO. But if you center cut a drive, you shouldn't be 200 yards out that often.

Full 7 wood or choked down 5 wood for me.

3h for me as well. But I also can't think of a Par 4 situation where you're aiming for the green from 200 out IF you're in a "normal" situation. Of course, if you've just topped your drive, or the Par 4 is a sharp dogleg, yeah I could see that distance coming up. But honestly, if I'm hitting my 3h, I'm hoping to get somewhere close to the green, as that's certainly not an accuracy club for me.

Back