Irons vs Hybrids.... your choice, why?

right now it's irons, i would like to be able to get a 3h working for me, but right now i do better with my CB3 4 iron from 200-210 than any hybrid i have tried yet

If I could get consistent distance out of my 4I, I would game it over my hybrid. Problem is I'm not that consistent with it yet. It's something that I mess around with during practice as I hope to get it to the point where I can game it regularly as I just like playing irons. Until that time comes though, I'll keep the hybrid in the bag for competition rounds.

I previously went with conventional wisdom and had two hybrids (2 and 3). I find, however, that I just hit long irons better. In fact, my favorite club off the tee is a 3-iron.

Hybrids - not my swing mind you - depleted my golf budget. When you hook hybrids 50 yds deep in the woods, you generally don't find your ball. (I did find some really cool Top Flites, Nitros, a hobo's urine stash, and a half-drunk forty of Mickey's Ice. While searching for my ball, I drank the other half. Just so you know, Mickey's Ice is NOT always nice...)

I previously went with conventional wisdom and had two hybrids (2 and 3). I find, however, that I just hit long irons better. In fact, my favorite club off the tee is a 3-iron.

Hybrids - not my swing mind you - depleted my golf budget. When you hook hybrids 50 yds deep in the woods, you generally don't find your ball. (I did find some really cool Top Flites, Nitros, a hobo's urine stash, and a half-drunk forty of Mickey's Ice. While searching for my ball, I drank the other half. Just so you know, Mickey's Ice is NOT always nice...)

I’ve really worked on my swing the past three months with Golftec and I’m killing my irons but have developed the same problem hooking my hybrids. I’ve lost so much confidence in them I just ordered a 4&5 iron as replacements. I added a TEE CB ProH 2DI a couple of weeks ago and can hit a good hard stinger off the tee and the turf with it which made up my mind. Funny thing is I still hit my FWs well though every now and then I can snap one off left, like my driver and every almost every other club in the bag.

If you are 190 out you would use a 5 iron to go for the green but using the 5 hyb means your not going for the green?
I don't carry a 5 iron so I'm not sure I follow your reference on that. If I'm 190 yds out then I'll pull my 5H and go for the green all day long. However, I rarely face that kind of an approach shot.

If they are (for you) easier to hit then why wouldn't it serve that purpose even more?
The 5H usually comes out of the bag for longer par 3's or shorter par 5's. Again, assuming that the distance is in the 180-190 yd range. However, my typical approach shots are between 130-160 yds on an average par 4, in which case I'd pull something higher lofted than the 5 hybrid anyhow.

I had simply misundrestood in the way it was written. Or the way I interpeted it. Thanks for clearing it.

For me it is just simply easier to hit a hybrid over a long iron plus I like the added yardage and higher ball flight which makes for a softer landing. Clubs like all of golf and everything in life, is very subjective.

I like irons better. I like the way they look at address better. I like the sound/feel when well struck and I like the trajectory much better. Unfortunately, I'm way too inconsistent hitting any iron longer than a 5i, so I play a 3h & 4h. Hybrids are certainly growing on me and it has been reflected in my scores vs. long irons. I wish I could tell you I play long irons better, but since my mission is to shoot lower scores, I play hybrids.

I have never been able to hit a Hybrid and went to a XH 9 wood after my 5 iron. But with the swing coming around I may try them again, the 9 wood is easy from just about any lie and lands soft.

I never realized so many better than average golfers also have trouble with pulling or hooking hybrids. I have tried three different brands of hybrids looking for one to replace my SB 4i, which I am, unfortunately, a bit inconsistent with (in spite of the fact that I love it when I strike it well).

To date I have not found a hybrid I can hit well and consistently, with my normal swing. When I hit them well it is a beautiful thing, but that is to infrequent.

Usually pulls, hooks or thins are happen to the point where I am already psyched out when I step up to the tee with a hybrid.

I am beginning to think that most hybrids are manufactured with a draw bias to offset the tendency of many golfers to slice. Also, I suspect the extra head weight in many hybrids effects the lag and release timing in the swing.

Perhaps I am totally off base, but I hit my driver, fairway woods, irons (speed blade 5 thru PW) and wedges consistently well, yet hybrids remain troublesome.

I do continue to carry one 5 or 4H, because I do feel there no better club for digging out of high grass and rough; but I still favor the 4i because, like others have said, a miss that ends up in the fairway is much better than a miss that ends up in the woods or water.

Last edited:
Still Irons through 5 for me, further than 190 its usually Hybrids and woods.

Familiar theme, irons go up to 5-iron then I have 2 hybrids. I was just more consistent with the 23° hybrid vs my 4-iron. But I can't have offset in the hybrid or I'll hook the heck out of it.

I cannot recall ever hitting a hybrid. I have always hit irons. I probably won't hit hybrids until my iron lengths drop significantly.

I've had some great hybrid in my bag and currently I don't have one. That may change by the end of the year though. Bottom line, for me, is that the hybrid's are just easier to hit than the long irons. Not that I don't have confidence in my long irons, I do, but I haven't had a 3 iron in my bag for 10 years. If that tells you anything.

Irons. I am mental and cannot get over the offset most hybrids have and end up hooking the snot out of them.

Anything over 185-190 yards has to be a hybrid or FW. Of course that depends on the hole. If there is a lot of trouble, I'll hit a 4 or 5 iron to get somewhere near the front of the green.

The new x2hot hybirds have changed the game for me. I am going with a 3h/4h where I have always played irons before.

Hybrids. I carry a 3 and 4 hybrid. I use them mostly on Par 5's but I also use the 4 hybrid to get out of trouble.

Absolutely swear by my two hybrids. Only clubs in the bag I feel full confidence in each time I need them. Like my irons, love the hybrids.

I play 3, 4, 5 hybrids. My switch to i25 irons has me contemplating ordering the 5 iron and giving that a shot. However, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? My experience has been that I can hit hybrids much better than long irons, especially out of rough, fairway bunkers, etc. I know it's a little bit manlier to yank a 3-iron out of the bag, but I prefer to be a wuss and turn doubles into singles, you know.

4 hybrid then 5 iron. 1 gets it done.

However, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? My experience has been that I can hit hybrids much better than long irons, especially out of rough, fairway bunkers, etc.

I think that's the biggest advantage to hybrids, trying to hit a 2 or 3 iron out of the rough is near is possible when a Hybrid just glides through the rough and gets the ball out with considerable distance. That's the one benefit that really keeps me looking for one the most.

As for it being manlier to pull an iron instead of a hybrid lol, I think that's an individual choice based on confidence and the amount of practice one puts in to hitting long irons, there's nothing wrong with a 3 iron or a 3 hybrid, pull what you like.

Last edited:
I use a hybrid, have no woods and it sits right in the middle of my driver and 4 iron.. So for me it's not a iron replacer, I use it as a 3 and 5 wood replacement..
I rarely use it off the deck though. Perhaps only once or twice per round. But on tight par 4s its a good club off the tee when distance is required.

With that said, I still haven't learned this club enough so I suffer from some mishits that ends up as a hook. But I'm getting better with it so maybe one day soon I can hit hybrids.. :)

The reason for still using this club is that 8 out of 10 shots produce an excellent small draw that goes long!
There is only one hole on my home course that i can't reach with my driver/hybrid combo in two good shots if I'm going for it, but that hole is 563 yards long.. All other longer holes have to much risk to even try it for my handicap/game..

i find the 4 iron fills the gap between the 4 hybrid about 205-210 and 5 iron at about 185 quite well

I recently replaced my 5w with a 2h mainly because the 5w was getting beat up and I found close out x-hots on sale for $89. I'm glad to know it's not just me hooking the crap out of hybrids. I literally have to put a different swing on this club, really holding the face off. Kind of keeps you guessing, but when I hit it well, man it goes.

I like hitting hybrids mainly because they are so much easier to hit and I have more confidence in them than irons. I do, however, have a hybrid on the way and it is only 1* off from my 6i, which I did on purpose. Can't always hit a hybrid in the rough, so then the 6i makes an appearance.

Back