Cleveland Smart Sole Wedges

How are these from sand bunkers which aren't super sandy? A few of the courses I've played recently have seem to have decided to completely ignore their bunkers, so we've been left with some pretty hard packed dirt.

How are these from sand bunkers which aren't super sandy? A few of the courses I've played recently have seem to have decided to completely ignore their bunkers, so we've been left with some pretty hard packed dirt.

No problem at all in my experience. Others will have a different perspective perhaps, but when myself War Eagle and Cookie tested it out none of us struggled.

I have not had an issue. Depending on the distance I may lean toward the C wedge too.

Sounds like you and I play the same type of courses.....

I actually really thought it was easy to hit the Smart Sole S wedge, with it's large sole, in firm hard packed dirt bunkers. For me, even easier than sandy fluffy bunkers.

I found them quite versatile from all lies, actually. The nice thing about the smart sole was the relief I got from hard packed bunkers and didn't have to worry about it being chunked. Can easily hit down in to the packed dirt/sand and rely in sole relief to pull off the shot you want.

I think one of these is in my future. My wedge game needs training wheels.

I actually really thought it was easy to hit the Smart Sole S wedge, with it's large sole, in firm hard packed dirt bunkers. For me, even easier than sandy fluffy bunkers.

This is what I like to hear. I need to get one of these out on the course. I like, but don't love, the trusty rustys.

There are courses with sandy fluffy bunkers??!! :bulgy-eyes:

I've been looking at both the C and S. I think that the S is definitely going in the bag. Have some questions about the C. Can you hit full shots with it or does the shorter shaft hurt it? If you can hit full shots, what club does it replace distance wise for you? Niblick a better option for full shots?

I've been looking at both the C and S. I think that the S is definitely going in the bag. Have some questions about the C. Can you hit full shots with it or does the shorter shaft hurt it? If you can hit full shots, what club does it replace distance wise for you? Niblick a better option for full shots?

Yes you absolutely can hit full shots with it. The shorter shaft forces you to stay down on the swing which is a benefit I think. I will use it anywhere out to 100-110y and from any lie you can think of. You have to account for some rollout though, this is not a club that will impart much spin.

It replaced the gap wedge in my bag. It and the S are the only two clubs I use inside 100y.

Yes you absolutely can hit full shots with it. The shorter shaft forces you to stay down on the swing which is a benefit I think. I will use it anywhere out to 100-110y and from any lie you can think of. You have to account for some rollout though, this is not a club that will impart much spin.

It replaced the gap wedge in my bag. It and the S are the only two clubs I use inside 100y.

Thanks for the info! How do you handle the full swing gap between the C and S? Do you ever wish you had a 54 or something in between there?

Thanks for the info! How do you handle the full swing gap between the C and S? Do you ever wish you had a 54 or something in between there

I got past that by focusing a lot of effort on 10 yard gaps in my swings with the C. Full swing with the S is 55y. I don't have the S gaps as honed in as the C, but I use the S only when the C is not an option from distance.

I have a strong belief that too many amateurs struggle with their short game because they have too many options and they don't spend enough time practicing them all. They would get better results spending 30 minutes each with two clubs than 15 minutes each with 4 clubs. That is if they practice short game at all. Less is more in my opinion.

So I picked the S at Golfsmith yesterday. Going to take it to the range or the pitch and putt tomorrow. Any tips for hitting this thing and ball position? The guy at GS said I should forward press my hands.

So I picked the S at Golfsmith yesterday. Going to take it to the range or the pitch and putt tomorrow. Any tips for hitting this thing and ball position? The guy at GS said I should forward press my hands.

Dont listen to him exclusively. He is looking at the sole and saying to deloft the club with a forward press to get the leading edge closer to the turf. That might be necessary off mats, which some have to do with all wedges, but this club plays like many others. It is a low bounce and high playable bounce club that works incredibly well with a multitude of different swings.

I will have to try some on grass then. I did have some trouble hitting off the matt.

I own the S and I really like it, but I do struggle a bit with it off of tighter lies. More practice would help, but I have a 56 that I already like.

I use it primarily out of the sand, thick rough, or fluffy lies. Works wonderfully in those scenarios.

The Smart Sole S is great off tight lies. The key is accelerate through the shot. Once I started doing that, the pitches with this club were unreal with decent stopping power, and that is with a Supersoft ball.

Just picked up the C from a THPer. Will probably be able to use it next week. Going to take the S to the pitch and putt tomorrow after class.

Played 9 holes this morning with the S and boy was it wonderful. Never got to hit it except at Golfsmith before buying it. Holed in a birdie from 20 yards away. I've never done that before. Had 2 other pitches within 5-7 feet. Only one shot in the bunker and I was able to get it out despite a bad shot. Can't wait for the C next week.

Played 9 holes this morning with the S and boy was it wonderful. Never got to hit it except at Golfsmith before buying it. Holed in a birdie from 20 yards away. I've never done that before. Had 2 other pitches within 5-7 feet. Only one shot in the bunker and I was able to get it out despite a bad shot. Can't wait for the C next week.

Nice to see you are feeling the love for this amazing club :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I am having a change in usage of these. Right now I am having a lot more success with the S inside 50y than the C, especially from the rough. My game plan is shifting to using the C from 50-100 from any lie where I can put half to full swings on it, and use the S inside that except for good lies that I can run it in with the C.

Just picked up the C from a THPer. Will probably be able to use it next week. Going to take the S to the pitch and putt tomorrow after class.
Let us know how it goes! Anxious to see how you like that C!

I've almost pulled the trigger on one of these 3 or 4 times now., including today when I was picking up tees at the store. If the S is not in in my bag at some point this year, I'll be very surprised.

Where in your stance do people feel that the S wedge is most consistent out of sand

Where in your stance do people feel that the S wedge is most consistent out of sand

Depends on the shot but I have tried close to 200 wedges over the last few years and it is definitely r he most consistent out of the sand I have ever tested. Especially in that it works well in all types of sanded lies.

Back