Halt and Catch Fire (Spoilers)

To be fair, being a big fan of the XMen comics growing up, few things annoy me as much as when the story lines don't match up.
I know they're not the same thing but the argument can be made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There is a huge difference between fictionalizing a story and fictionalizing methods and details about how things work. I'm not sure why it's so difficult to tell the difference... Creating a new storyline in a time in history is perfectly fine. Doing that but failing to accurately depict your chosen era is what I'm complaining about. All the responses of "lol, star wars isn't real either, duh!" have nothing to do with what I'm talking about. Of course Brad Pitt didn't win WWII. Those are absolutely ridiculous responses to my complaint. Getting a binary letter incorrect or removing the wrong kind of chip with a desolder gun is not a fictionalization for the purpose of creating a story. it's just a failure to do the required homework. When you make a show about the history of computers, at least make an attempt to know something about the history of computers.

My point was that as someone who is actually intimately familiar with all of the technical details they are trying to work into the show... when they screw something up that bad, it ruins the realism for me. If this show were about golf and they got some technical details wrong, you folks would all be saying "hang on, that just isn't right."

Every episode of House was medical mess. There are websites dedicated to it. Does that make the show any less entertaining to the layperson? Not even a little.

No but it obviously bothered enough people that there are entire websites dedicated to it. I have no issue with creative license. What bothers me is showing a detail that nobody else would care about... that doesn't add any actual entertainment value... and getting it wrong. It's like holding up two fingers and calling it four. Why not just call it two? It makes no sense.

No but it obviously bothered enough people that there are entire websites dedicated to it. I have no issue with creative license. What bothers me is showing a detail that nobody else would care about... that doesn't add any actual entertainment value... and getting it wrong. It's like holding up two fingers and calling it four. Why not just call it two? It makes no sense.

ITS FICTION!!!!!!

I feel like I am taking crazy pills.

Every episode of House was medical mess. There are websites dedicated to it. Does that make the show any less entertaining to the layperson? Not even a little.

ER was just as bad if not worse. Watching that show with my dad was comical.

Halt and Catch Fire (Spoilers)

The Minute Men died at Bunker Hill so people could use whatever binary code they wanted when making a television show about computer development in the 1970s

#Murica

Last edited:
ITS FICTION!!!!!!

I feel like I am taking crazy pills.
It's fiction that lots of people are saying is so cool because it gives a glimpse into the history of the modern computer. It's possible to tell a fictional story without getting so many things obviously wrong. They said the letter B was the letter D. That's just laziness. Fiction or otherwise. If you don't get that or think it's no big deal then fine. But I do think it's a big deal and it doesn't make me crazy or unreasonable to expect one plus one to still equal two. Even on TV

It's fiction that lots of people are saying is so cool because it gives a glimpse into the history of the modern computer. It's possible to tell a fictional story without getting so many things obviously wrong. They said the letter B was the letter D. That's just laziness. Fiction or otherwise. If you don't get that or think it's no big deal then fine. But I do think it's a big deal and it doesn't make me crazy or unreasonable to expect one plus one to still equal two. Even on TV

You are allowed to feel whatever you want about whatever you want. To completely dismiss a show because it took some creative lesson or isn't 100% accurate seems silly to me. But I'm not you. Which is cool.

Happy Gilmore is one of my all time favorite movies......... Does it take away from the movie because it's not 100% accurate? Nahh

You are allowed to feel whatever you want about whatever you want. To completely dismiss a show because it took some creative lesson or isn't 100% accurate seems silly to me. But I'm not you. Which is cool.
I didn't completely dismiss it because of their failure to do homework. I just said it bothers me. And it has nothing to do with creative license. As I have said many times... I get that you take some sort of pleasure in being contrary. That much is obvious. But... can't a guy just say something bothers him and have it be okay with THP? Jeez...

I didn't completely dismiss it because of their failure to do homework. I just said it bothers me. And it has nothing to do with creative license. As I have said many times... I get that you take some sort of pleasure in being contrary. That much is obvious. But... can't a guy just say something bothers him and have it be okay with THP? Jeez...

Sure. Just as you should be okay with contrary views to you own.

It's alright that I disagree with you. How boring would it be if we agreed all the time?

Disagreement is fine. Being rude is not a requirement though.

Just caught up with this series on demand last night. I'm so hooked. Really have enjoyed it so far. The Taylormade R11 glove didn't affect me. Can't wait for this week's episode.

i'm 3 episodes in...damn you THP for getting me hooked

tyno, this show worth my time?

tyno, this show worth my time?

i think so.
i think it's a sleeper compared to AMC's previous successes. has potential and should take off, but no one is quite sure where it's going yet.
watch the first 2 or 3 tho, and if you're not hooked by then, it'd only be a minor waste of your DVR.

i think so.
i think it's a sleeper compared to AMC's previous successes. has potential and should take off, but no one is quite sure where it's going yet.
watch the first 2 or 3 tho, and if you're not hooked by then, it'd only be a minor waste of your DVR.

They are doing a better job of developing characters other than Joe at this point. I think Cameron has some serious potential to be a great 2nd focus moving forward as well.

I love the show and I don't like very many shows on TV.

this show just got real effin' good....

I came across this show last night as I was scanning the TV before bed. I don't know what episode it was but the guy was fixing the sink and talking to his wife I believe on the phone from her motel room. Then he cut his finger with a knife and then is shown putting the kids to bed with a bedtime story of sorts. The odd thing was, I kept watching all that time. I'm going to wait on this one till I'm caught up with Suits and House of Cards (yet to start) but expect to venture back to this again.

At first I thought they were going along with Houston based Compaq computer (created as a spinoff from Texas Instruments) as the model for Cardiff which would have made more sense since I believe they basically did develop their own bios and kept the IBM version in a clean room next to them. Instead, they are sort of going with more of an early Apple/iphone era Apple model so it will be interesting to see where it goes.

I didn't really get Joe's emo Don Draper meets Patrick Bateman thing, Gordon's angry drunk maniac or Cameron's stare at a pc screen and freak out with spray paint characterizations at first but they are slowly trying to add at least some backstory to Joe's craziness.

Compaq history:
http://www.today.mccombs.utexas.edu/2014/03/compaq-computer-rod-canion-entrepreneurship-week

oh and Kerry Bishé....... :angel:

I have enjoyed the show so far Tyno

I came across this show last night as I was scanning the TV before bed. I don't know what episode it was but the guy was fixing the sink and talking to his wife I believe on the phone from her motel room. Then he cut his finger with a knife and then is shown putting the kids to bed with a bedtime story of sorts. The odd thing was, I kept watching all that time. I'm going to wait on this one till I'm caught up with Suits and House of Cards (yet to start) but expect to venture back to this again.

yeah.....that was during Gordon's sort of mental breakdown/hitting bottom ordeal, a pretty strange episode honestly.
the next two episodes were easily the best of the series IMO.

this Sunday is the finale, and i'm not sure what they're going to do. i know that something big is going to happen though.
it will be interesting to see where they go with it. if they do it right, honestly...they could end with one season, and it would be great. essentially a mini-film, broken up into 10 equal parts.
but they'll most likely leave a small cliff-hanger for season 2....i'm just not sure how much else they have for additional seasons...???

well...i have mixed feelings about the finale.

overall, it was really good. for a 10 episode season, it both wrapped everything up decently as well as left you hanging and wanting more.
had it been a one & done "movie" though, sort of anti-climactic to a certain extent.

when Joe torched the shipment truck, you could see that coming a mile away, but didn't make it any less awesome. cue awesome 80's soundtrack for added awesomeness.

but...IMO, it should've ended at the last commercial break, right after Donna & Gordon were sitting in the house after the accident and their phone was ringing. when it cut to commercial right then, it was awesome! and that should've been it. done. finished. holy crap, what just happened?! wait until next season.
fan base explodes and season 2 gathers more hype.

instead, they continued into what i thought wasn't worth it. Donna and Gordon go on living as if nothing happened and then Joe just walks off into the wilderness? i guess that's just how they deal with it...
the only thing i did like about 'that' ending is how they depicted Gordon as now sort of the head of the company and now it would appear as if he is slowly turning into a "Joe like character" and wondering what they're going to do next.

they seemed to close up season 1 well enough though, in case AMC doesn't bring it back.
as a fan though, i obviously hope they do. it's definitely an exciting show and has unlimited possibilities with every character as well as the technology that is emerging around that time.
so here's to crossing fingers for season 2.

Back