Callaway X-Hot Fairway Wood Preview Thread

I'm still gaming the X-Hot Pro 5w. I agree Hawk--it feels awesome on well-struck shots. I've got a blueboard in the 5w and it's an awesome combo for me when the wind is not blowing too hard. When the wind is up, I tend to balloon and anything off target has an exaggerated miss. I've been eyeing something to get the ball flight down, but just haven't found the right one yet.

With the lower spin this head gives me in addition to my already low spin I could play in 30mph winds with no ballooning lol. #shortknocking has some benefits.

Nice timing with the bump. This was the last 3w I really loved. May have to explore gaming it again or maybe the 4w option especially if I can gain some confidence off the deck.

Nice timing with the bump. This was the last 3w I really loved. May have to explore gaming it again or maybe the 4w option especially if I can gain some confidence off the deck.

Callawaypreowned usually has some good options at a solid price. It's where I picked up my 5 and 3w.

I picked up a 4-wood recently, and I really like it. Don't hit it as high as I like, but the ball flight is solid all over the face.

I picked up a 4-wood recently, and I really like it. Don't hit it as high as I like, but the ball flight is solid all over the face.

Love the 4 wood off the deck. When I picked up the 4 and 9 I was surprised how low they were. But compared to my old 9 (Razr X Black), the X HOT 9 is longer.

In last few years I stink at fairway wood play , especially 3 woods haven't carry one in years . Ahh but I can hit the x-hot off the deck , tee, rough . I can get home in 2 on some par 5's now , and straight . Sweet addition to bag . If I can hit this thing anyone can play it.
gb

I need to start using this off the tee more often. I'm getting what I'd call excellent distance for me as a driver alternative and it's been accurate since I started actually working with it. Probably not as often off the turf though - not until I get more time and work in on it. I think I'm prone to trying to hit at the ball from that position rather than swinging through it and that's resulted in some thins. Ball certainly runs out with that miss, but it's kind of an unsettling result to see.

Hawk: The XHot 7W might be just what the doctor ordered for off the deck to pair with that 4W for off the tee. Since getting the 7W, there's really no reason for me to hit the 4W off the deck unless I have a really good lie. The 7W is easier to hit and is straighter. Your review with the White Tie is what I see out of the stock PXV on the same lofted head. I don't balloon it -- the ball just goes out. Primary ball flight is right to left. I get great distance off the tee. It's pretty accurate, so long as it is teed at the right height. I really feel like this is a great overall FW package. It looks and sounds great, has a nice feel at impact, isn't too large or small size wise, and is fairly versatile. Just get the right shaft and length in there, and you've got a very solid offering.

Yea, it's one with some staying power in my mind. Nice versatile design that goes far. I'm going to try to commit myself to using it on par 4's under 380 here over the next few weeks. Try to hit some more fairways, because it's become a pretty reliable club there. I do like the idea of the 7w. Never even though of that! You holding greens ok with it?

Hmm a 7W could be interesting

Miss my 3W, big dummy

Hmm a 7W could be interesting

Miss my 3W, big dummy

I hate to hoard, but there are certain things I just won't get rid of and this was one of them.

Some reasonable deals on 7W's out there. Seems dumb to be eBaying clubs right now though.

I hate to hoard, but there are certain things I just won't get rid of and this was one of them.

Some reasonable deals on 7W's out there. Seems dumb to be eBaying clubs right now though.
I'm dumb plain and simple.

and yeah I'd stay off ebay til august

Bumping this thread after my range time today. During my round I hit a second ball off the tee on a par 5 the goes right. Typically I hit through the fairway with my driver as I play a fade. I wanted to experiment with another club and decided to try my X2 hot 5w. I didn't hit it flush but found the center of the fairway over the bunkers protecting the landing area. Fast forward to hole 7 and 8 (16 & 17 of the day as I played the back first) and I struggled with my 3w off the tee on both holes. On the range after my round I decided to hit some shots with both 3 and 5 wood. The 5w was carrying farther and was easier to hit consistently! I couldn't believe what I was seeing! I think the stiff shaft in my 3w isn't helping but the consistency just wasn't there. I'm excited for my round tomorrow as I'm going to play the 5w on the holes I normally hit 3w off the tee.

I'll reiterate that watch the shaft length on these and order them and inch shorter if needed, it was quite a surprise (since I was too lazy to notice apparently when ordering) compared to my Ping G25's and old G10's. I'll probably butt snip them during the next grip change.

Hawk: I missed your question regarding the 7w and holding greens. The short answer is yes. There is very little roll out with the 7w for me.

Damn near bought one a few weeks ago, but passed. It was in A flex and I didn't feel like spending the money and having to reshaft.

I still use my XHot 7W. One of the my favorite clubs ever. It will never come out of my bag. Super easy to hit off the deck. I hit it just as far as the 5W but with a higher ball flight.

If they made the BB in 7W for LH I would be gaming it in the MC as I feel the BB FW's are extremely similar in profile and design to the XHot stuff that I love.

Yea they have the lower profile that just works. I wouldn't be surprised to see myself eBay one of those 7w's in a moment of weakness.

Yea they have the lower profile that just works. I wouldn't be surprised to see myself eBay one of those 7w's in a moment of weakness.

Do it.... ;-)

In all seriousness, the 7w is a nice mix of distance, ball flight height, soft landings, versatility and ease of use. I must admit that I cut the shaft down an inch, like I did with my XHot 4w.

I've owned a couple of other 7ws, but this one is just better.

Do it.... ;-)

In all seriousness, the 7w is a nice mix of distance, ball flight height, soft landings, versatility and ease of use. I must admit that I cut the shaft down an inch, like I did with my XHot 4w.

I've owned a couple of other 7ws, but this one is just better.

A 7-wood is just an all around versatile club for most of us that struggle with the long irons or have issues with the longer hybrids. I think most of us are better served with a higher lofted wood than a low lofted iron.

A 7-wood is just an all around versatile club for most of us that struggle with the long irons or have issues with the longer hybrids. I think most of us are better served with a higher lofted wood than a low lofted iron.

I think so. I know that 7ws, etc. carry a bit of a stigma, but I think they are easier to hit than the 2/3h or iron. For me, the line is about 21 degrees of loft. Below that and I need a FW.

I guess it's just me, but I try to use whatever works best for my golf game. I'm not calling you out Hawk and I'm not sure what you mean by "a moment of weakness" as we all have a little golf ego. It seems so many golfers are influenced by what the pros carry or what "true" golfers carry that they try to fit their games to the equipment rather than use the equipment to enhance the game they have.

Last edited:
Back