Golf Digest's change

jcbama85

Reaction score
Handicap
It appears to me Golf Digest is making a significant change with their content. A couple of months ago they did a significant article on smoking weed on the course. Now they've run this article about Adam Levene joking about opening a store called "Weed and Golf". I just tweeted this to Golf Digest:
@jcbama85: @GolfDigestMag I'm sure you want a more hip readership, but this isn't what golf is about. It's a gentleman's sport, not High Times #cmonman

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Maybe I'm becoming an old fogey, but I do not like this path Golf Digest is taking.

What do y'all think?

When a tour professional (Robert Garrigus) talks about how prevalent weed is among golfers, why shouldn't GD talk about it?

I have smelled it many a time on the course not that big of a deal in CA but interesting to see GD write a story on it

I have smelled it many a time on the course not that big of a deal in CA but interesting to see GD write a story on it

A lot of people smoke especially here in Cali when playing as Brian said. But with legalization in certain states and more acceptance among people. Interesting to see how this unfolds.

I really don't care what people want to do as far as smoking goes. That said I thought the article was stupid to be included in GD. I don't remember them running a five page story about drinking on the course. No matter how you feel about it, it is still an illegal activity in most states. Heck even the states that it's legal it illegal federally so doing an article like that made no sense to me.

Dave? Dave's not here.

I think you're being picky. Not everyone enjoys every article. Weed is becoming legal. Get used to it.

When a tour professional (Robert Garrigus) talks about how prevalent weed is among golfers, why shouldn't GD talk about it?

It is certainly their choice to talk about it. From my point I'd rather them write about golf. Just my $.02

It is certainly their choice to talk about it. From my point I'd rather them write about golf. Just my $.02

Just one part of golf. I would rather they talked about weed among golfers than Paulina Gretzky's stretching routine.

I think you're being picky. Not everyone enjoys every article. Weed is becoming legal. Get used to it.

The truth is though, its not legal in most areas.
And based on their demo, I am really surprised by this decision.
Then again, based on their POV and location, nothing should surprise me.

The truth is though, its not legal in most areas.
And based on their demo, I am really surprised by this decision.
Then again, based on their POV and location, nothing should surprise me.

I still think it's a valid discussion. Drunk driving and speeding are illegal and a lot of people do it.

I still think it's a valid discussion. Drunk driving and speeding are illegal and a lot of people do it.

They do. Now let me know when Golf Digest has a feature on those.

Isn't golf part of life and life part of golf. Talking about everyday topics is what people do in the course, why not write about the same stuff. I thinks it's more relevant then a lot of stuff written about.

This age old argument that golf is a gentlemen's game is really old. Being honest isn't singular to golf. It's something learned at a very young age by many that don't play golf.

People still read Golf Digest? THP is a FAR better source for anything and everything golf.

Hell, JB puts out more in a day than Golf Digest does in a year.

This is NOT a bash on GD or those reading it. I'm merely stating that THP, for me, is a much better choice to keep up with golf related things.

While I don't smoke I don't have a problem reading an article about it in a golf magazine either. Here's an interesting and related story too.

I play in a 9 hole league and one week I was playing very very badly. One of the guys in my group is part owner of another local golf course and asked me if I needed a 'tour remedy' and then he pulled out a one hitter. Didn't partake, but as bad I was playing it couldn't have hurt LOL

Those situations are why GD and other outlets can cover issues like this. I work in sports journalism—there are often issues we'd love to cover, but to remain objective, there has to be some other avenue form where it's coming.

For example, there's a lot of debate to the fairness of how Ohio high school sports are run. A writer I worked with had a lot of opinions, but to cover it as a news story, had to wait until a certain coach said something about the issue. Then it became a news story that could be covered fairly.

So, if golfers are talking about it, it can be a story. Quite frankly, if golfers are talking about it and it's not covered, then you could argue they're ignoring an issue. Though sometimes, it's valid.

I have a buddy I golf with that "takes his medicine", as he calls it, a few times a round. I don't partake, don't care if he does, and I'll just read the articles that interest me. GD has a few of those too.

I think there's worse things that can be in the magazine. Personally I don't find it to be that big of an issue

I know guys who smoke weed on the course. It's not something I am into, but I have seen it quite a bit.

I'm really an old fogey, I don't know anyone that smokes weed. Don't want to!

If you can beat me and your high on drugs, you get that much more respect as far as I am concerned. I noticed the article and am usually offended any times drugs are mentioned or are around me, but not so much in golf or fishing.

I actually think this has been a long time coming. Surprised they haven't done more research/writing on the subject given the social and legal changes that have taken place over the last several years. I'm a supporter of the cause, for what it's worth.

I'm really an old fogey, I don't know anyone that smokes weed. Don't want to!
Some of the guys I have seen smoke pot on the course are in their 70s.

Don't really care if someone on the course it smoking, or drinking ... What ticks me off, is when they get in a car and drive ... Putting me at risk ... Then I have issue ...

Also do not understand guys that preach following rules, and the integrity of the game ... How dare you move out of that divot, etc ... "You can tell a lot about a person by the way they play golf" ... Blah blah wolf wolf ... But don't think twice about speeding home after having several drinks afterwards ... (Or to keep on topic a little ... Taking a few hits) I personally would rather you move out of a divot, than get behind a wheel drunk/high ...

remember GD, and others like them, are in the business to sale you something ... So I don't put too much stock in what they say ...

Our group always has designated driver ... Usually me ... :act-up:

Great comments everyone. I will occasionally have some liquid "swing oil" while playing. But at least in Texas that's legal and the one hitters aren't.

I respect everyones opinion, thanks for respecting mine.

Back