BRISTOL86

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I'm a newbie golfer and have been going to the driving range once a week and hitting 100 balls for the last month. I'm getting blisters on my right hand (I'm right handed by the way) both at the base of my index finger and on the outer right edge of my ring finger, just below the knuckle.

Is this normal in beginner golfers, or does it indicate there is something incorrect in my grip/set up?

Many thanks

I have calluses in both those spots. I'm terrible though, so I'm not advocating it lol. Might see a pro about your grip. I've been working on loosening mine lately and that has helped.

I have calluses in both those spots. I'm terrible though, so I'm not advocating it lol. Might see a pro about your grip. I've been working on loosening mine lately and that has helped.

Yes I did wonder whether this was a result of a very firm grip, everything I read suggests that you should make as loose a grip as possible on the club, but I find it very difficult not to strangle the club!

It is difficult, especially if you're trying to steer the ball.

Try some golfer's tape on your fingers. Might help until you figure out if your grip is the problem but you can still continue to practice/play. I use it from time to time...I must have sensitive hands. lol

I tape both those spots every time I hit balls or play.

I agree. I'm lucky that I've never had this issue and I agree that maybe your pro could offer some advice. You might want to go with tape or something as well or wear two clubs for now.

Blisters are a sign of a bad grip/swing. True story

Not always.
FWIW, both Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson have had blisters this year on their hands.
Could be any number of things, such as moisture on hands and grips that do not handle it well.

I have a massive callous on my right ring finger where it makes contact with my glove on my left hand.

Buy this, thank me later :) - http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001OPLTQY?pc_redir=1404490333&robot_redir=1

Use it wherever you've developed blisters and they will heal quickly. Take it to the range, and if you start getting any irritation, just rub some on.

Also, RELAX haha. I came out of the winter gripping the club with a death grip, hit the ball like crap, and developed horrible blisters all over my right hand in one range session. Just ripped my hands apart. I relaxed my grip out of necessity and wouldn't ya know it, no more blisters AND I struck the ball better haha.

Sent from my DROID MAXX using Tapatalk

Not always.
FWIW, both Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson have had blisters this year on their hands.
Could be any number of things, such as moisture on hands and grips that do not handle it well.
It's funny cause I have big hands and would blister on the outside of my right index finger in the past so my pro told me to install thicker grips...went to some cheapo Lamkin x10s and the blistering went away. But I have heard that also by some pros if they blister tjat it's not always the grip/swing.

I wear a glove on both hands to prevent this. I'm not advocating this, it's just what I do. I started in the beginning with no glove on my right hand and it was destroyed. So I put
a glove on it years ago and have played with it ever since. I'm a lefty golfer who plays right handed. Just my couple of Lincolns.

I think these comments are owed some more explanation. I have had my grip looked at by a couple of PGA pros in my area and none have pointed out any flaws. I too get blistering on my right index finger. For me this hasn't been as big of a problem this year as I have been playing regularly and the skin has toughened up there. However, in the past when I didn't play as often I would spend some time at the range after a long layoff and I would start tearing into that finger particularly when practicing with the driver. I would apply some electrical tape when playing and let it heal up. I think the last tour pro I have seen with fingers taped was Sergio Garcia a few tournaments ago.

I will say also that switching grips has helped me. The last set was much harsher on my hands than I realized at the time.

I have recently tried a lighter grip pressure, changed grips, and no longer wear a glove. I have had zero blister issues.

Thanks all for your input! I think I definitely grip the club too tight, which I suspect is the biggest factor at play. I will tape them up until they heal and make an effort to reduce my stranglehold on the club :laugh:

My opinion ... If your new to golf and willing to practice that much, then you would greatly benefit from lessons ... money well spent for someone like you ...

I also practice a lot ... I go to driving range at least 4 times a week ... and I hit the "jumbo" bucket at the range I go to ... hitting that many balls a week, will cause calluses ... I do not find calluses abnormal with that much practice time ... plus I enjoy the range ... I do a lot of "what if" while there ... or try something new I read here to see if it works for me ...

I wear a glove at the range, and sometimes even use tape with it ...

I tend to think your grip is too tight. I have played for a long time and I have never got blisters.

I can't remember who said this but it has always stayed with me.

Your golf grip should be tight enough for you to hold a small bird in your hand without letting it go but also light enough so you don't hurt the bird.

That thought has always worked for me. I've never let go of a club and I never get blisters.

I have calluses on both hands (I don't wear gloves). It's normal when you hit a lot of balls even if you have a loose grip. I hit a 1,000+ balls a week and have a faster swing speed so I callus. Just like when I play tennis or baseball.

If your grips are nice an tacky they will resist twisting and cause you to blister then callus. I use some tape on both hands around my ring fingers.

My right ring finger gets irritated as well. I tape it and usually holds up pretty good.
It is the worst when I forget the tape at home. I just know I will have a blister by the end of the day. :angry:

I used to get blisters pretty regularly every time I played. It made me loosen my grip naturally, but nothing helped as much as playing a proper grip size. I switched from standard to mid size and I can't remember the last time I got a blister. It has to have been well over a year.

Back