Does anyone use steel shafts in their modern hybrids or fairway woods.

Essex.UK

Reaction score
Handicap
I was just wondering if anyone plays moderns clubs e.g X2 hot, Ping G25 with steel shafts and if so how do they compare with graphite ones. Do you need to have a fast swing speed.

Steel shafts made a slight comeback in 08 in fairway woods on tour but it didn't last. With graphite changing physically, characteristically and better each year technologically, I don't think steel will ever comeback into play in the long game again.

I know Patrick Reed has a steel shaft in his 3wood.

KBS offers a steel hybrid shaft. It has always intrigued me.

I did until the beginning of this year. Callaway steelhead 3's 5w and 3w. Always liked the shafts in their. But I substituted the 5 wood for a hybrid and the 3w with a black tie... for me graphite seems to be a better option.

I know a lot of guys on tour still played steel in fw woods well into the 2000-2009 but it seems most are changing. In fairway woods it really boils down to feel and personal preferences.

While maybe not an exact comparison, I just bought a Cleveland Altitude 4 hybrid with a KBS Steel shaft. Unfortunately I haven't been able to hit it, but hopefully soon.

I did, in my Cleveland Mashie hybrids, up until last season. Original Mashies with PX 6.0 steel shafts. I prefer, no... LOVE the heavier and more substantial feel of the steel shafts but the generous offset was causing too many hooks.

I went to the Mashie+ but am still not sure about their way light shafts. I don't even know if the steel would fit in the Mashie+. If so, I'd swap them.

I have messed around with them in the past but they just seem hard on my hands lots of vibration

I have X-100's in my V-steel(s) (if you still count this as modern) Taylormade woods and a KBS in my hybrid. For me it is all about ball control and flight. If I wanted more distance I could put in a graphite shaft. I have found it is just easier to have choices for course set up of 13*, 15* and 16.5* and just remove which ever one is not suited for the course. I have even removed my driver and used all three at times. Just put the KBS in the hybrid about a month ago and feel really good with it, just have to remember to let the club to the work.

I play a JPX 4 Fli-Hi, which Mizuno refers to as a "Direct Long Iron Replacement". It's designed to fit into my iron set from a length perspective, and gets the ball up more than my 4 iron does, which gives me better gaps. I combine that with a more traditional graphite shafted 3 hybrid. One of my favorite clubs. A lot of confidence from ~180 or so, and the 3h is good for 195-200.

I still have a steel shaft in my ping 5 wood. I'll never replace that club unless it breaks

I hit a 983K Titleiost driver the other day with a Dynalite R300. Struck it well.

No desire to do it again.

I used to play steel shafts in my 3 & 4 hybrids to match the rest of my iron set, but that's been quite a few year's ago.

What's your thinking for going steel over graphite?

I had steel shafts in my woods and hybrid's several years ago, but none these days.

It's just interesting that players have almost fully migrated to graphite in all the woods but no pro plays graphite in irons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's just interesting that players have almost fully migrated to graphite in all the woods but no pro plays graphite in irons.

There are definitely pros who play graphite in irons. Kuchar and Snedecker come to mind - here's an article from the PGA tour site talking about it. http://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2013/06/04/graphite-shafted-irons-evolving-on-tour.html

JB started a thread a while back talking about graphite shafts as well - I'm on my iPad and failed at searching for it, but some more guys might be mentioned in there.

There are quite a few that do play graphite in their irons and more trying them every year.

There are quite a few that do play graphite in their irons and more trying them every year.

Name 5. I don't recall seeing it and I watch golf non stop.

Name 5. I don't recall seeing it and I watch golf non stop.

Boo Weekley
Ken Duke
Brandt Snedeker
Matt Kuchar
Ben Crane

I'll have to watch more closely.

I use to have a steel shaft in one of my old 3 wood, that was back almost 10 years ago though. With the high (for my swing) kick points I can get in todays graphite shafts, I don't see myself going back to steel in my woods...ever again.

I'll have to watch more closely.

in fairness, if you are going based just off of looks it can be hard to tell by the naked eye. Steelfibers and Recoils are both used on tour and look like steel

I saw that when I looked up Kucher. Learned something new today

Had a KBS shaft in a hybrid. It hit very well, but it was just a little heavy for me. Replaced it with graphite.

I still have the KBS shaft if anyone would like to try it. Haven't looked at it since it was pulled.

Fred Couples also plays the Aerotech Steel fiber shafts in his irons these days. Crane, Sneds and Kuchar all play Aerotech steel fibers as well. I know Kuchar plays the I95's I believe Sneds has the tour spec 110's but I am not sure which ones Fred or Crane use.

Back