Best and most forgiving 2013 or 2014 hybrid out of thicker rough?

Karl

Reaction score
Handicap
Looking for something that can really cut through the thicker stuff and get the ball up. My Karstens are not so good the thicker the rough is due to their size and lower launching tendency. What's working for you?

I game a tight lies 7w that is great in those situations and I believe more versatile than a hybrid. Plus the price has fallen on these to where they are very reasonable.

The review on the Bobby jones hybrid has been outstanding for what you need.

Yep, that's one that comes to my mind. Also, from personal experience the Baffler lines from Cobra, the T-Rails work.

I love my X2 Hot 19* out of the fluffy stuff

The x2 hot performs great out of the rough to me

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

The VR-S and Covert hybrids have played well from the rough. I also didn't have much trouble with my G20 hybrid.

Really, there isn't a terrible option here. Head shape/style may help make a decision, but there's a ton of great hybrids out. X2Hot, G hybrid, Adams, Covert 2.0, Baffler are ones that I've hit before that have impressed me. That Bobby Jones sounds like a legit deal too.

I'm gaming the RBZ 3h. Love it! I hit one today about 195 yds put of a 3 inch dense rough on a links style course. Probably my most confident club right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input so far. There's been a lot of rain here this year so the rough has been very thick and healthy.

I don't see these to try out at any stores here in Canada. Are they only available through their website?

My Cleveland classic does great out of the rough

I like my Adams LSP/Pro out of the rough smaller head allows it to get through the crud a bit easier while still retaining some forgiveness

Adams idea super s is outstanding. And it's about $50 right now

Adams idea super s is outstanding. And it's about $50 right now

+1 on this...Picked up an Adams Idea Super S 19 degree and when I do my part it is amazing. Great trajectory.
When I don't do my part, it's still pretty good. 60% of the time it works every time.

They are stupid cheap right now also, around $50 new is a great price.

Look for a more cambered or railed sole.

588, Baffler, Bobby Jones. That said, success with a hybrid from the rough very much depends on your swing speed and angle of attack. It's not an easy shot.

Also, if you want to save money and are a fader, check out the 2012 Mashie+.

I've played almost every one of the ones mentioned in this thread (other than the Tight Lies FW). The Tour Edge Trilogy/Xrails were the best for me out of the rough. The Bobby Jones models are second, but can be a little shallow leading to some pop ups. The Mashie+ was the best of the Cleveland models as it had the sharpest leading edge.

I prefer the Bio Cells Had a set 3&4 of the baffler t-rails and they were great, but i needed reg flex for my swing and the bafflers i have are stiff flex.

Hmmm...Looks like I will try the super S, 588 and baffler next time I'm in the city. The Baffler the only one not on sale though.

Back