Vertically Challenged (short people) - how do you fit standard clubs?

lilbilly

Reaction score
Handicap
Not sure how many other short peeps are here, but I'm 5'5". I would classify this category as 5'7" or less for men I guess (just to set up my question properly).

I've struggled with set up position this year, and made a few posture changes. I've always choked down on my clubs quite a bit too. Have some "new to me" irons on the way and am trying to figure out how much I should be cutting them down. My last set I didn't cut, but was choked down over an inch and had them at 1* flat.

I know fit and length and lie are an individual thing, I'm just trying to gauge if I'm way off.

How do you play your clubs? Standard length, lie, etc? If you want, post of picture of your set up position to help.

Short is 5'-7" and below. Awesome, I'm 5'-8.5" and finally not short!!

I was fit for driver last week and came away with a measurement of 44 1/2"-44 3/4". I'm going to play it at stock and see how it goes then maybe have it cut. My irons are stock length and I don't believe they're holding me back, I think my swing is doing that on its own.

I play mine 1/2" shorter in the irons on the set I am playing now. I'm 5'5" as well.

JM

I'm right about 5'7" and I've been fit into both standard length and -1/2" in the brands that play a bit short with standard 1/2 inch progression through the set (Mizuno, Ping), and usually -1/2" or -3/4" in brands that tend to play a bit longer and have larger increases in the long irons. I've also got relatively small hands, so I play the JPX at standard length and choke up just a bit, and that's sort of the sweet spot for me.

Im 5ft and I play my irons at standard lenght. I have tried to play iron sets at -1/2 and - 1 but neither feels right to me. I do however make sure my lie is correct on any iron set I play which is usually 2 degrees flat

Typically I'm -1/2 and 2 flat. That being said, that can change from brand to brand due to their stock length to begin with. Any decent fitter will be able to help you out with that in a matter of minutes. Heck, I'm pretty sure OEM websites that have more advanced online fitting tools can also point you in the right direction. Ping's was pretty good with that.

I think a proper fitting with the clubs you will be gaming is the only way to answer this accurately.

I'm 5'6" and have been fitted into irons 1/4" short and 1° flat...but have also been fitted into a 46" driver. A static fitting is usually a good starting point, but I think there are too many variables involved to lean on those measurements exclusively.

I guess I need to truly get comfortable with posture and set up position before I see a club fitter. I've made a bunch of changes in the last year and I'm not convinced that I am set up properly.

The biggest factor on length of my clubs and lie, is whether I play the ball out further from me (and go longer and more flat) or play it in closer to my feet (and have a shorter club and standard lie).

I'm 5'7" and play standard length and 2* flat in most everything I play.

Standard lie?

Actually 1* flat at the moment, but have played with 2* as well. It all depends on the stock specs from the OEM you are playing with I think.

JM

I'm about 5'8" so not short according to this thread...lol. I play Mizuno irons, which from what I have seen are about 1/2 to 1 degree flatter than most iron sets out there, at standard lie and length. Had my Cleveland wedges bent 1 degree flat to fit Mizuno specs.

I am a whopping 5/7"-5'8"... I play .5" short and standard lie.

If I play something standard length, I am right at 1*/2* flat.

Get fitted as you being shorter says nothing about the length of your arms :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me throw the opposite end of the spectrum in here I am 6'4 and play my clubs 1/2 short of standard . It is so hard to fit length and lie by height. It is a good starting point but you may be the opposite of what is expected.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Let me throw the opposite end of the spectrum in here I am 6'4 and play my clubs 1/2 short of standard . It is so hard to fit length and lie by height. It is a good starting point but you may be the opposite of what is expected.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Id imagine that you have fairly long arms.

I'm 5'7. In golf shoes maybe 5'9. I play standard length 1/2 degree flat

Height plays some play into it, but not all. Example: I'm 6 foot and play .5 short.

I think a proper fitting with the clubs you will be gaming is the only way to answer this accurately.

I'm 5'6" and have been fitted into irons 1/4" short and 1° flat...but have also been fitted into a 46" driver. A static fitting is usually a good starting point, but I think there are too many variables involved to lean on those measurements exclusively.

Agree. Get fit!

5'8 1/2" isn't short!? Only considered so by a short guy! I play at 1* Up and just short of stock length on driver, FW, and hybrid. Putter is 35" but I choke down a little and can play more at 34". But I've also heard the opposite where a tall guy is short of standard length, it's all about consistent contact and less about height.

On Line I am 6'4" real life I am 5'7" (yes I am teller than ward :p)

I play my irons at 1/2 inch short and 2 flat. But remember lie angle is not based on height only. Go hit on a board and you will know

Short is 5'-7" and below. Awesome, I'm 5'-8.5" and finally not short!!

I was fit for driver last week and came away with a measurement of 44 1/2"-44 3/4". I'm going to play it at stock and see how it goes then maybe have it cut. My irons are stock length and I don't believe they're holding me back, I think my swing is doing that on its own.

I'm 5'5", and I was recently fitted for irons at plus 1/2" and 2° upright. The swing matters when it comes to fitting, not the golfer. When I'm striking the ball well, my hands stay very close to my body, simple as that. The extra half inch lets me naturally put the ball on the sweet spot instead of getting it on the toe.

5'8 1/2" isn't short!? Only considered so by a short guy! I play at 1* Up and just short of stock length on driver, FW, and hybrid. Putter is 35" but I choke down a little and can play more at 34". But I've also heard the opposite where a tall guy is short of standard length, it's all about consistent contact and less about height.

Haha, only a guy 3" shorter would say you're not short!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Get fitted as you being shorter says nothing about the length of your arms :)

Yeah, I get that. Took a measurement yesterday and wrist to floor was 32.25.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

So does this extra advise jive with mine?

Back