First set of clubs? $1,600?

Just because something is new or not obvious, doesn't make it a marketing ploy.

Congrats on building a bag for under $500 but to compare those decent used clubs to what I believe was a brand new set of Bridgestones through the bag for about the same price is kind of ridiculous.

normally i would agree, but the deal wasn't $500 for the bridgestone and bag... it was $1600... which includes a membership that he doesn't want when the season is already half over... so if you look at half a season membership ($550 by that math) you are looking at a bridgestone set and bag for $1050... which isn't a deal to me

normally i would agree, but the deal wasn't $500 for the bridgestone and bag... it was $1600... which includes a membership that he doesn't want when the season is already half over... so if you look at half a season membership ($550 by that math) you are looking at a bridgestone set and bag for $1050... which isn't a deal to me
I got ya, no $1050 wouldn't be much of a deal then. I agree with you 100% on that.

It already being July is also a good point.

I got ya, no $1050 wouldn't be much of a deal then. I agree with you 100% on that.

i WOULD agree that you should jump all over a brand new set of bridgestones if someone is going to let them go for $500 bucks w/ bag included!!! :alien:

I agree with jb on this one although my assistant pro tells me all the time my CB3s are holding me back. The reason I game them is forgiveness. The forgiveness of a cavity back with the feel of a well struck forged offering. These are forged btw and I do reccomend them. Not trying to prop up Adams again btw. Just saying.loll

i WOULD agree that you should jump all over a brand new set of bridgestones if someone is going to let them go for $500 bucks w/ bag included!!! :alien:
Lol, I'd buy two!

Point ... did the author of this thread say exactly what set of Bridgestone clubs? For all we know, they could be a set of J33's, which while good, are not J40's by a long shot.

Also, to clarify he did IIRC say that the membership was for next year, not the remainder of this year.

They were j40s.

The membership was also a full year, not the remainder of the year.

And I don't think there's an agenda behind pushing the Bridgestones. Those are the ones I was hitting.

Have to say they were nice to hit -- but that could have been luck too. I haven't had enough swings yet.

On the membership, obviously I am brand new to the game. My plan was to play at a lot of different courses. So a membership might not be the best route right now.

I'm with the minority here. J40s are nice clubs and for $1600 for a full bag plus membership sounds like a killer deal to me. You can go ahead and buy those used super game improvement sets but I guarantee within a year of playing you'll probably be looking for replacements. In the long run it will cost you more if you skimp out now. Happened to me. Also, you're probably better off playing at 1 course for a year and working on your swing than playing many different courses where you'll have to figure out how to attack each hole which will end up frustrating you more. Golf is not cheap so you should expect to pay a lot up front. Enjoy!

First set of clubs? $1,600?

Please define 'growing into clubs'. And why would you grow into a set of Bridgestone clubs vs a set of cobra or Titleist or Callaway or Ping.

Either buy a set of clubs and play or don't. There is no growing period. There will be multiple club changes in your future as there are with most golfers.

Plus a set of bstone clubs new should cost more than $700 for the irons. If he is adding woods then that is a different story all together.

Last edited:
2 j40 hybrids with the flighted px 5.0 shafts on the bay run at $320.00. Bridgstone doesn't make cheap equipment. I find the whole deal a little strange. I don't know your pro but if it sounds too good to be true it usually is.

They were j40s.

The membership was also a full year, not the remainder of the year.

And I don't think there's an agenda behind pushing the Bridgestones. Those are the ones I was hitting.

Have to say they were nice to hit -- but that could have been luck too. I haven't had enough swings yet.
I say bite, then you can either decide to use the clubs or sell them for a profit. Those clubs plus a bag are probably $1,000+ new. I don't buy the growing into argument, but I also think the J40 DPCs are surprisingly forgiving. Not knowing your game I don't know when or even if you would enjoy them, but I do know that I love my various J40 clubs.

If you are hitting the bridgestones the best so far and you plan on playing that course or using the range and practice facilities quite a bit, I would do it, killer deal.

It is a hell of a deal. Growing into clubs isn't a good idea however, I'd say go for it. If it doesn't pan out then you can easily make a profit off them and get something easier and more playable to you. Especially if you hit them well now it might just work out. Just don't force the idea of making it work, make your learning as natural as possible.

Honestly, I say take the deal. If you end up hating the clubs, you can always sell them.

I personally think it's kind of crazy to ignore your teaching professional who has been working with you on your swing just because he might have worded a statement wrong (by the way growing into a set of clubs can mean a lot of different things). An easy way to see if he's just trying to peddle equipment on you is to ask if the same deal would apply to a different set of clubs. Based on the fact that you mentioned you were hitting the Bridgestones the best though, I'm guessing that's why he suggested them. In the end, you just have to get whatever you feel comfortable with. The deal he is offering is fantastic if it includes a full set of Bridgestone clubs with a bag and a full golfing membership where you can play as much golf as you want.

Just my opinion though.

Honestly, I say take the deal. If you end up hating the clubs, you can always sell them.

I personally think it's kind of crazy to ignore your teaching professional who has been working with you on your swing just because he might have worded a statement wrong (by the way growing into a set of clubs can mean a lot of different things). An easy way to see if he's just trying to peddle equipment on you is to ask if the same deal would apply to a different set of clubs. Based on the fact that you mentioned you were hitting the Bridgestones the best though, I'm guessing that's why he suggested them. In the end, you just have to get whatever you feel comfortable with. The deal he is offering is fantastic if it includes a full set of Bridgestone clubs with a bag and a full golfing membership where you can play as much golf as you want.

Just my opinion though.

I don't the deal is bad -- nor do I suspect negative intent.

I think the investment may not be aligned with my goals at this point. (Truly, just trying to get into the game. Love what I've experienced so far.)

I'm willing to make a bigger investment -- but that might be best later, after I know what I like and don't like.

Very good perspective.

All other things being equal - getting fit, demoing the clubs before buying, etc - I would recommend keeping an eye out for TaylorMade and Cobra equipment. For varying reasons it is extremely easy to find equipment from both manufacturers that is a season old at highly discounted rates. As an example, Cobra's assorted AMP lines are really solid drivers and TM's RocketBladez are really good and forgiving irons. There are worse ways to start building a first bag of clubs. Good luck!

Last edited:
BIG PICTURE:

When you are picking up a new hobby, there is always a point where you have to evaluate equipment value & use. The risk is over-buying, and then having equipment collect dust because you aren't using it as much as you thought you would. If you spend a little $, and then end up quitting the hobby, it's not a big deal. If you spend BIG $, and then don't use it much, it hurts (financially & mentally).

If you just started woodworking, you don't need a $3,000 table saw. It technically WOULD help you, but it also is overkill.

If you just started downhill skiing, you don't need $2000 skis. Technically, they COULD help you, but it's overkill.

Etc.

For most new hobbies and activities, I start with reasonably priced quality equipment (used if I can get it). If I find that I'm pushing my equipment past it's point of usability, then I know it's time for an upgrade, which is fine. I've already demonstrated that I'm really into the hobby, so it's not hard for me to convince myself.

The above is a fantastic post.

that's not the fun idea though. Although it is right on.

I think the investment may not be aligned with my goals at this point. (Truly, just trying to get into the game. Love what I've experienced so far.)

I'm willing to make a bigger investment -- but that might be best later, after I know what I like and don't like.
Trust your gut. Yes, it may be a great deal, but great deals always pop up. If you don't take this one, one will present itself down the line.

i have been in the golf equipment business for 20 years. buy a clean used set of callaway x-20's or taylormde r7's. i could give you several other options. there is nothing on the market today that is any better and you can get them for around $200. anything more than that is a total waste of money. in 12 to 18 months the clubs that are selling for $500 now will be $199 and the x-20's you bought will trade back in for $125. so for $75 to $100 every several years you can have another great set of clubs.

i can send you info on where to get them if you are interested.

spend your money on drivers and wedges. they will make a huge difference in your game and they are very user specific. not so much with irons unless you are a very good iron player.

Back