Big Bertha Alpha Driver Review

This club is a great club for the golfer that needs less spin.

As for the comments regarding price drops on the alpha, it has never come from a callaway employee that callaway would never drop the price on this line. I will say that odyssey did say they would not drop the price on the mxm line of putter but that was due to the limited supply. For me personally, I commend Harry for addressing this issue. He did say though that the current alpha is being closed out with a new driver coming soon on the horizon. I can't wait to see how Callaway kicks it up a notch. Their current offerings are game changers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm just not sure I agree with your take here. I guess if you want to stretch out what we were alluding to by adding a "they never said never" to beef up the argument, then yes I agree, as far as I know no one ever said NEVER. But in my case, the only two Callaway employees I've run into since the release was announced, both said they were not going to reduce the prices. Well I assume these guys are paid by Callaway anyway, as they traveled quite a ways to set up at separate demos. They had staff working for them, them and everyone else decked out in Cally clothing, bigtime launch monitors, and huge setups with everything the sell. I'll probably never get to go to the Carlsbad headquarters and meet Harry or Jason (they seem so AWESOME) so that's as "employee" as I've met.
I was hitting Alpha at the first demo in March while some other dude striping it next to me quipped that he loved it but was going to wait to buy it cheaper to which the head Cally guy there replied something close to 'I have been told we are not going to reduce this one. Holding the price protects our retailers and our clients. You are hitting it so well, I'd hate to see you lose the entire golf season waiting on something that just won't happen.' Essentially the same thing happened at a different demo in April where the other head Cally guy was stating he could offer $25 off for those present at the demo if purchased that day, and that there were not going to be any other discounts on that line authorized by Callaway.
I mean even JB was on board early on and he seemed to be pretty tight with the big Cally guys when this release broke, the PGA show, the visits to Carlsbad, the big events etc... In the preview thread a THPer mentioned waiting for the price to drop $100 and JB responded "It wont be dropping in price. Callaway has been pretty specific about that."
I think everyone knew they would eventually come down but who would've possibly guessed it happening this soon given there was a lot of information being spread about their resolve to hold prices a few months ago?

I don't understand why so many people are up in arms about a possible price drop. Who said what, and how many drivers are available from any OEM. Callaway is in the business to move equipment. The way they manage their inventory is part of the business. Which the past couple years they've been doing quite well. Never have they said you must have the latest and greatest. In fact when we played with Harry, he was quick to say he wanted people to play what they wanted, and he hoped they would look at Callaway as a viable option. It seems people want to see a company fail that they themselves have no loyalty towards. Is this a case of brand loyalty? Or haters gonna hate.

I'll probably never get to go to the Carlsbad headquarters and meet Harry or Jason (they seem so AWESOME) so that's as "employee" as I've met.

THP offers multiple chances to meet many companies including 3-4 with Callaway this year. (The King, The Gauntlet, The Morgan Cup and of course The Grandaddy)

Including entering contests going on right now. In the all expenses paid trip of a lifetime.
One has to enter to have a chance however.

Since some have an issue with this single club getting a price drop, why not enter for a chance to ask the people at their HQ about it?

BBA was solid for me today. Hit 9 fairways today and was hitting a nice tight draw most of the day. Had to play into some wind a couple times and didnt notice much of a distance loss, the trajectory I am getting is wonderful. I am not a long hitter but I am definitely seeing a little distance gain over my RFE when I hit Bertha on the nose. I find her no less forging than the RFE was either. If these are now $100 cheaper and you are still on the fence then I suggest you get off the fence and pick one up!

Anyone know if you can get just the udesign alpha heads?

I think Harry was asked somewhere about that once and said that you could only get the full club, but I tried to search and find that to link but couldn't, so my memory may be incorrect. Callaway has been great answering questions on phone or email so you'd probably be able to get an answer from them in short time.

I think Harry was asked somewhere about that once and said that you could only get the full club, but I tried to search and find that to link but couldn't, so my memory may be incorrect. Callaway has been great answering questions on phone or email so you'd probably be able to get an answer from them in short time.
Thanks for the info. I'll just give them a call Monday and see what's up.

Per twitter with Harry Arnett, there is no difference between the "tour" issue clubhead and the off the rack Model.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Per twitter with Harry Arnett, there is no difference between the "tour" issue clubhead and the off the rack Model.

Very good to know for those of us who've been on full Alpha ponder mode, Thanks for sharing!

Made me a little bit sad, I thought sure it would magically give me 30 more yards and hit every fairway because it has a Tour serial number. Oh well back to the range.

Effortless distance - that is what this driver is for me. Pulled this driver everywhere I could today and it did not let me down once. I routinely outdrove everyone in my group, which included 2 dudes that played golf in college and work at a golf course. Just baby draw after baby draw. 285-300 just about every time. I just love everything about the Alpha.

Man there sure are a lot of people on eBay paying quite a bit more for them haha yikes. Thanks for clearing it up tho

Man there sure are a lot of people on eBay paying quite a bit more for them haha yikes. Thanks for clearing it up tho

Ridiculous isn't it?

You were right, called today and they only sell the full club.

Put the diamana shaft kang gave me in the alpha, turned the gravity core up, set to N and +2 (makes it 11 degrees) I was hittng lasers at the range with it. Cant wait to get on the course with it tomorrow

Regardless of what was said or wasn't said, it comes down to the law of supply and demand. Our local retailer here in CT has dozens of Alphas on the shelf and only a few SLDRs. Seems like they aren't moving ask brisk in their store. Just today, they moved the Alpha to $399. According to the manager, they weren't selling at $499 so they moved it down.

That said, if they come out with new clubs, the price will drop...golf industry is littered with excess inventories killing companies.

Just played a round with the "tour" alpha head on my home course. Took the shaft out of my BB and put it in on the same settings.
Wow what a difference, not a lot more carry but I am getting 15 yards or more roll out I was not getting with the BB and straight as can be. The misses definitely lose yardage but hit it anywhere near the center and great results. The sound is completely different in a good way.
I had the core down and may try it the other way just to see what happens, overall a very good 1st outing. The only problem I had was I ran though several fairways and drive angles I have always played turned into shots in the rough, just need to adjust the aim point a bit. I thought I was done tinkering for a while, nice to have a new toy to play with.

Last edited:
The Alpha was really good today, missed one drive by the other 13 were really good, best "Alpha" driving day so far

The Alpha was really good today, missed one drive by the other 13 were really good, best "Alpha" driving day so far
13/14, gotta love those odds!

Just played a round with the "tour" alpha head on my home course. Took the shaft out of my BB and put it in on the same settings.
Wow what a difference, not a lot more carry but I am getting 15 yards or more roll out I was not getting with the BB and straight as can be. The misses definitely lose yardage but hit it anywhere near the center and great results. The sound is completely different in a good way.
I had the core down and may try it the other way just to see what happens, overall a very good 1st outing. The only problem I had was I ran though several fairways and drive angles I have always played turned into shots in the rough, just need to adjust the aim point a bit. I thought I was done tinkering for a while, nice to have a new toy to play with.

I've found that you should consider putting the gravity core closer to where you hit the ball on the face. A high ball hitter might actually lose spin having GC up because it moves the sweet spot up a little. Results will be different for everyone, but from what you mentioned, leave that core where it's at and get new target lines to stay in fairways man! #BerthaLong

13/14, gotta love those odds!
full disclosure 2 of them missed the fairway by a yard or so, but i was fine with that

Love this club, made some adjustments with targets and finding places I have never been before. Had a real good look at Eagle (left it 6" short) on a Par 5 that I have only even tried to go for maybe twice before. The bad swings lose quite a bit more than the BB, but it actually seems to be easier to hit to me. Maybe it is the weight (placement) difference, but it just seems to drop in better if I don't try to muscle it.

Really starting to find the groove w/ the Alpha, just killing it today, hit it 11 times fairway 8 times, on the back 9 it was dead center & long 6 times

Took mine out for the last round before heading to Myrtle. I tagged a couple today that had me hitting 2 clubs less into a few holes that just made me laugh. It's not often I have iron into par 5's from the back tees. DID TODAY!

Back