UK Summer Cup 2014 - Details

Fines a-plenty. The overnight leader is bearing the brunt of it. As it should be. :)

Evening Boys and Girls. Home for a quick pit stop, shower and change, then dropping the Dane upto Heathrow.

THanks to all, I will post formal results and match report later!

First of all, I must apologise. I wrongly awarded Strongest Golfer of Day 2 to Strawboater, when it should have gone to Peroni Nick.

Neil, i assume you are already in the car, hand delivering the trophy to Nick?

I will of course fine myself heavily for the oversight and apologise to Nick.

Review and scores to follow....

Sunday morning...early start. Dog to be walked, Dane to be roused, Swede to be collected...

Picking up the Swede went better than we could have possibly expected, with Almdudler arriving at the pick up point minutes before The Bandit and the Dane.

The Open Road to Wales...fiery land of dragons.

It was just past 11 when we arrived...with the weather set fair. We knew that the Suedette was ahead of us, already lazing by the pool...

This meant we were well ahead of schedule.

Dirk St Moritz was, as ever, behind schedule. Largely relevant as he was bringing La Bandita.

Then the heavens opened...

This confluence of events meant that I was

a. in a bar
b. Off the leash
c. excited about playing some Golf with a bunch of THP'ers

There was only ever one realistic outcome. Stella Artois......

Off on an airport run now....back soon!

What a great start to a recap lol. More pics!

I just want to quickly say thanks for a great weekend lads. My head is still hurting a bit now but it was all worth it. Won't give away the results but a shocking ending considering the amount of alcohol he got down him! Big love to Stu great weekend mate

El B - I thought Peroni Nick was the rightful owner of the prize, but I didn't want to cause controversy at the ceremony! PM me his address and I'll post it over.

Huge thanks to Stu for organising the 2-day meet, everything from start to finish ran extremely smoothly. As soon as the rain stopped as I arrived, I took a picture of the 18th on the Old Course from the beer garden, its a 230yd par 3 over water to a raised green in front of the bar, was really looking forward to that on Monday.

18th_zps76194bcc.jpg

A quick wander into the bar and I soon found a few early arrivals and quite soon behind me, everyone else started to arrive.

arrived_zps238cdfed.jpg

Bar1_zps2cb6e34f.jpg

I was nice and early so time for something to eat and of course a couple of pints, I spotted a keg of UPA on the bar and thought, 'that'll do nicely' :D

Unfortunately my room was still not ready after everyone else's was, so, of course, I had to stay in the bar and have a good go at that keg again! but at £4.80 a pint, and still to play golf, I eased off a little.

bar2_zps2a3619b1.jpg

We then all merged at the 1st tee on the Mathern Course.

1sttee1stday_zpse3022e62.jpg

gathering_zps5382a27f.jpg

Stu & the Swedette accosted the starter, his name was Melvyn with a strong welsh accent, but was from Kettering!

starter_zps04f1c293.jpg

I came out the blocks all guns blaring with a nice birdie on the 1st and continued to rack up the points whilst sharing the 'Pink Ball' amongst our team, I think the UPA was having a desired effect as I had 19 points with a blob on the turn. Unfortunately as the beer wore off I nose dived and had a stinker of a back 9.

I enjoyed the Mathern course, it was well laid out with some nice holes but the greens were slow. I thought the back 9 was very testing and with ditches, burns, water and all sorts of hazards zigzagging across the fairways, it made you think a lot more about club selection, which is why I nose dived from the 13th-in losing 4-balls in 6 holes!

We then met for dinner, I enjoyed my meal although one of the cheeses with horseradish & mustard was vile! Only got 1 photo of the opposite table as my phone then packed up.

dinner_zps36475b62.jpg

The Kangaroo court then followed which I will let someone else cover.

The setting for course and the hotel is really quite stunning when you have a wander around, not sure of its history but the cottages and accommodation and the reception entrance are really quaint.

reception_zpsb0d13f12.jpg

cottages2_zpsa83b05d6.jpg

cottages_zps1063ebfb.jpg

I couldn't face a cooked breakfast before tackling the Old Course, I wish I had as I ran out of steam 3/4's around, it became a bit of a slog, my arms were hanging and my club felt twice as heavy. No great start this time but then put 4 decent holes together and then went backwards again! Regrouped at the turn and was having a strong back 9 until the 15th and then my head dropped and only picked up 2 points from the last 4 holes, I was knackered and I still had to play the 230yd par 3.

18th1_zps3228371b.jpg

Loved the Old Course, the greens were excellent, some beautiful picturesque holes, not very long par 4's but you had to manoeuvre around large mature trees, carry some well placed fairway bunkers, which I didn't, and there were a few raised slightly blind greens, all-in-all a course that has everything and I'll be back.

Thanks to all my playing partners on both days, I enjoyed your company, there was some good sporadic golf on show at times from everyone, it was nice to meet a lot of new like minded people and I hope its the first of many meets we arranged amongst ourselves on THP.

Well done to all the winners, I'm very pleased to come away with something on my first meet, although I've had to explain to HID about why my award is for the 'Pink Ball'!

Great 2-days, thank you everyone for making it so.

Thanks everyone for this year's cup! My first and not the last! :)
Since my journey continues I'll post a more pictures from home.. Right now I'm staying the night in Andover and will be playing the Tidworth Garrison GC tomorrow with the reigning champion of the UK cup! :)
oh and I found some friends from home here so I feel very welcome!
tava5u3a.jpg

Safe travels home everyone! Thanks to those that have posted their thoughts and pictures so far. Please keep the recaps and pictures coming.

Now...The Dane should be en route home. My part is done at least. The rest is upto SAS and Danish Railways. He now flies into Copenhagen, before an overnight train back to Randers. Commitment right there.

So, the liquid sunshine was bouncing off the patio, I was at a loose end and therefore the strong lager was flowing. Two by two the Hackers arrived, the more sensible ones having a coffee, with the usual suspects opting for the odd pint.

Mercifully, the weather returned to form, the liquid sunshine abated.

We were off!

3 3 balls and 2 4 balls set off on the Mathern to record their individual Stablefords as well as the Team Score with the Pink Ball. It was immediately apparent that no expense had been spared with the pink ball, obviously a very high quality piece of kit.

i was in the final 4 ball, led by Strawboater. Mizuno Blue and Almdudler were saddled with the task of nursing a slightly wobbly Bandito around the course.

Mizuno was inspired on the front 9, playing some excellent golf. Almdudler was playing very solid golf, and the skipper was turning it on every time he had the pink ball. On 5 he nailed the tee shot, comfortably taking the first prize of the day for nearest the Pin. El B was bumbling along and rallied towards the end. Inspired by Almdudler, the Bandit saved his 'tee shot of the day' for 17, which happened to be longest drive hole. The team was on fire!

Pink Ball Score of 30! No ball lost. So nearest pin, longest drive and pink ball were all captured by team Strawboater!

A back 9 collapse had taken Mizuno out of the reckoning, and the skipper had sacrificed his own score by only delivering on the Pink. El B had a scratchy 28 points, but Almdudler posted a very creditable 31.

In golfing terms, the overnight leader board had joint leaders (Sam and Rob) on 32, with four people on 31. The Swedette, Almdudler, JDPW and Preston Preston. The make weights for the last two 4 balls were The Dane on 27 and El B on 28.

Some observations;

1. Fantastic debut from the Swedes.
2. The fairer sex was kicking ass!
3. A man nearer 70 than 60 was in the final four ball.

At the foot of the leader board, a mention for Dirk St Moritz, who was in pain before taking his first tee shot...but soldiered on and got round. Commitment.

Dinner was taken.

The Kangaroo Court was convened in a convenient room adjoining the Bar. The Bandit had bonded with the bar man earlier and secured a bottle of Grey Goose and a bottle of Jaegermeister.

As is traditional, drinking became a combat sport with the leaders very much in the firing line.

(note. Drinking is not big. It is not clever. Nor is it compulsory. I have said it before. Don't drink with El Bandito)

Sam was destroyed. Rob looked in trouble. Almdudler was shaky. JDPW and The Dane shook their heads in bemusement at the antics before sensibly retiring. The Swedette took her fines with grace and humour. As ever, the Bandit had ignored his own advice, and had been drinking with El Bandito.

Breakfast was a struggle.

The Old Course.

Dirk had been unable to secure a buggy and had hence withdrawn. My thanks to Will-I-Dream who was sufficiently refreshed to calmly point out this meant 4 4 balls.

Final Group

Ice (rob) 32
Sam 32
JDPW 31
Almdudler 31

Penultimate

The Swedette 31
Preston Preston 31
El B 28
The Dane 27

JDPW calmly won nearest the pin. Tough hole? I do believe that of 16 players, John was the only one who hit the green.

Longest drive. Again, many of the big hitters missed the fairway. And with one player left to drive, it looked that El B might take the prize again...fortunately, Ice put matters right and thumped past.

After 9 holes, Almdudler led the final group, with 16 points. Information gleaned at the halfway hut. The bandit led the penultimate group, with 19 points. Failing a blistering run from an early starter, it seemed that entering the back 9, it was a two horse race...

Almdudler scored another 15, giving him 31 points on each day. From a man who got to the airport at 0300 on Sunday morning, and 22 hours later had played a round of golf and was going toe to toe with the Bandit in the bar, 2 31s was a very creditable performance far from home on two courses that he had never seen before.

The Bandit delivered a solid 18 points on the back 9, making 37 points. Added to 28 from Day 1. 65.

Once again, by dint of drinking abilities, the Bandit destroyed his competition and came storming through the field to win the tournament and retain the cup! Geo! There are more people for your support group!

It's mine I tell you!

Hmmm...

There were some prizes...some provided by JoeyJoeJo some by me.

they are in the bag that they went to Chepstow in and have now come back....

excuse me while I go and fine myself again......

ill roll them into the next one. Doh!

That was the best story ever. Congrats on retaining the cup El B!

Awesome stuff.

These fines sound delicious and somewhat scary. We need video next time people.

I believe that there are conventions against that type of video nasty. Reports from room mates of overnight leaders indicate that at least one spent several hours on the big white telephone speaking to God, while La Bandita mustered the kind of "Do you not think you should grow up?" Glares that lasted an entire day...

A word for Preston, Preston, so good that they named him twice. A relative newcomer to golf I think, with a handicap of 26. Then, he hit it. When this lad hits a ball it stays hit let me tell you. Huge booming drives. Once the GPS is fine-tuned that is going to be a formidable weapon. The Dane and I measured a smooth 6 iron to 180 yards. From a 26 handicapper! A bright golfing future I think!

JDPW calmly won nearest the pin. Tough hole? I do believe that of 16 players, John was the only one who hit the green!

If 3 off the tee counts, I hit it :banghead:

But I then found my 1st ball by the next tee box and still made par :bananadance:

If 3 off the tee counts, I hit it :banghead:

But I then found my 1st ball by the next tee box and still made par :bananadance:

the joys of golf! 3 on that hole was a good score.

Off for a rematch with Linus. So, 18 holes between 1 and 2 in the cup. I feel he had an early night last night, is acclimatised and ready to put me in my place....

the joys of golf! 3 on that hole was a good score.

Off for a rematch with Linus. So, 18 holes between 1 and 2 in the cup. I feel he had an early night last night, is acclimatised and ready to put me in my place....

Just checked my card, it wasn't the 6th, I went in the furthest right hand greenside bunker pin high, really unlucky, it was the long 13th par 3 I scrambled the par, that had a NP pin on it also, was that not ours also?

Oh there are some pictures that I'm sure will surface soon, make sure you have an empty stomach before seeing them though, there was a little bit of 'male bonding' going on towards the end of the night :friends:

Sounds like a great weekend, well done El B, 2 on the bounce....! The things you'll do not to lose that cup again! Well done to you all!

The estimated 2 hour drive to Gatwick was in reality 3,5 hours... (half way there realizing that I was driving still in my golf shoes)
Checking in my golf bag 25 minutes after check in of oversized bags were closed (blond and blue eyes can be powerful ;)
Running (and i truuuuly hate running) through the airport I made it to the gate less than 1 minute before they closed!
Greatly thankful to the wending machine in the waiting area that got me crisps and a Pepsi for dinner (really glad I stole those 2 curly fries from bigmacclarron for lunch so I survived that far)
Getting home after midnight I felt mostly like a zombie, but a zombie falling asleep with a big smile - Thanks to Stu and the rest of you for a great event :bananadance:(hope I didn't scare you from ever inviting a non male again...)

A very quick post from me while I am grabbing some lunch here at work, but I will try and post more when I get a chance

Once again, thanks to Stu for organising another great event (and congratulations on fixing it so that you won again.... :alien:)

It was great to catch up with old friends and also to meet new ones...hopefully we will be seeing you all back again at future events. A special mention has to go to the Dane and Swedes for making the extra effort to fly over - it was great to see you all

Another mention has to go to Will_I_Dream for the 6.5 hour drive he had - I hope you made it back ok
Charlie, I don't remember seeing you parked up asleep on the way back north so assuming you made it there in one piece :D

I have also had a message from Preston to say he has signed up, so hopefully he will chime in here - El B, don't let his 26 handicap fool you, he was previously at about 20, it was only because he had 3 bad rounds when he put his cards in at our new place that he got a handicap that high.....so expect him to be a lot lower at the next event!

I believe that there are conventions against that type of video nasty. Reports from room mates of overnight leaders indicate that at least one spent several hours on the big white telephone speaking to God, while La Bandita mustered the kind of "Do you not think you should grow up?" Glares that lasted an entire day...

A word for Preston, Preston, so good that they named him twice. A relative newcomer to golf I think, with a handicap of 26. Then, he hit it. When this lad hits a ball it stays hit let me tell you. Huge booming drives. Once the GPS is fine-tuned that is going to be a formidable weapon. The Dane and I measured a smooth 6 iron to 180 yards. From a 26 handicapper! A bright golfing future I think!

This made me snort. Ha!

Oh there are some pictures that I'm sure will surface soon, make sure you have an empty stomach before seeing them though, there was a little bit of 'male bonding' going on towards the end of the night :friends:

Sounds like a classic THP event to me.

Just checked my card, it wasn't the 6th, I went in the furthest right hand greenside bunker pin high, really unlucky, it was the long 13th par 3 I scrambled the par, that had a NP pin on it also, was that not ours also?

Thank you for bring up this long par 3...I required the Gentleman's Persuader, and put it to 5 feet. One of my favourite shots of the day! Missed the putt though:banghead:

I just saw some on Almdudler's phone. He was wondering about whether to post....expect some soon!

The estimated 2 hour drive to Gatwick was in reality 3,5 hours... (half way there realizing that I was driving still in my golf shoes)
Checking in my golf bag 25 minutes after check in of oversized bags were closed (blond and blue eyes can be powerful ;)
Running (and i truuuuly hate running) through the airport I made it to the gate less than 1 minute before they closed!
Greatly thankful to the wending machine in the waiting area that got me crisps and a Pepsi for dinner (really glad I stole those 2 curly fries from bigmacclarron for lunch so I survived that far)
Getting home after midnight I felt mostly like a zombie, but a zombie falling asleep with a big smile - Thanks to Stu and the rest of you for a great event :bananadance:(hope I didn't scare you from ever inviting a non male again...)

Phew....that was close! The joys of the M25. Glad you made it. We were over the moon that you attended, over the moon that you were such a good laugh, and over the moon that you played so well. There was a risk of a Nordic clean sweep at one point! You are first on the list for the next cup!

A very quick post from me while I am grabbing some lunch here at work, but I will try and post more when I get a chance

Once again, thanks to Stu for organising another great event (and congratulations on fixing it so that you won again.... :alien:)

It was great to catch up with old friends and also to meet new ones...hopefully we will be seeing you all back again at future events. A special mention has to go to the Dane and Swedes for making the extra effort to fly over - it was great to see you all

Another mention has to go to Will_I_Dream for the 6.5 hour drive he had - I hope you made it back ok
Charlie, I don't remember seeing you parked up asleep on the way back north so assuming you made it there in one piece :D

I have also had a message from Preston to say he has signed up, so hopefully he will chime in here - El B, don't let his 26 handicap fool you, he was previously at about 20, it was only because he had 3 bad rounds when he put his cards in at our new place that he got a handicap that high.....so expect him to be a lot lower at the next event!

Message in from 'so good they named him twice' - or PP as he was christened on Day One...as for fixing - Doc, I'm not sure my liver can take more of that type of fixing...

Back