Contest #1 - 2014 #TheGrandaddy - The Event Of A Lifetime

Sir Harry... Hope all is well.
Are you concerned about any complacency within the zoo crew?

Not at all. I think we were rooting as much for the THP guys as we were for each other, and I think that will be the same. And I'm sure our team will be slightly different than it was last year, so we'll have some good energy going for this year too.

The biggest thing I can see that's different between this event and just normal driving range practice and weekend play with your foursome, is the nature of match play golf. It's a lot different than stroke play events. When you have to make a 3 footer for a half, most people don't ever try to make those putts playing weekend golf with their friends. That part is tough to adjust to, and the momentum of these kinds of match play tournaments is much, much different than just regular stroke play outings or events.

Pay attention, junior, as I am the ZooCrew captain.

My point is this:

Same strategy coupled with same tactics will deliver the same results. I am honestly asking what each of YOU will be doing differently to prepare should you be picked for the event...
I've played both with and against #zoocrew members while part of your team for #theking. Having met you guys and seeing #zoocrew game up close and personal, I know I'll have to get better if selected. I'll do something different than I did for #theking which is start lessons sooner and have more of them. My game was better in April from the few lessons I had close in to the event, and my game now is better than in April. So much more room to improve though and if selected I'll be all out at a pace a level higher than before!

Oh, and I'll bring earplugs to guard against all the smacktalk!

Quick question. I promise I'm being honest and not trying to stick in the needle...

Last year, team THP had a great captain and awesome dude, Hawk. Great guy. Team THP also had good golfers. Team THP also said before the match that they would beat team Callaway by using great chemistry and timely, good play. Team THP was defeated easily and soundly (I say that as a matter of fact, not editorializing one bit).

So, what will team THP do this year to get a different, and more desirable to THP, result in the Grandaddy?

Simple. I don't want to lose.
Really the past is the past for me, those who continue to look back and fall back on their laurels don't see what's in front of them.
I have no laurels to rest on, all I have is the work I have done.
I refuse to lose. I work to improve. Lip service is just that, words.
Given the chance my hard work will show up, I know the #ZooCrew have truly good players on your side, you won't be taken for granted, you won't be underestimated.

I am motivated to do well, represent myself well, represent THP well, follow #Cookie's plan, and show up in December to ruin the holiday season for yourself and the rest of the #ZooCrew.

I have a question for you Harry, how is the #ZooCrew going to handle losing?
#TeamBasementDweller is going to show up motivated, and ready to win. This I promise you!

Harry,
Having tested my game against a few from the #zoocrew, I have actually changed the way I play golf. Everytime I tee it up, I push myself to go for the pin instead of trying to play for a number. My thought behind that is as I get more shots under my belt, I will get used to the pressure and be able to draw on the situation to help me build confidence for the future. Before, if any pressure situation came up, like me calling out Johnny, I folded like a house of cards on a windy day because my emotions and nerves got the best of me. I plan using this to be able to stand confidently if selected and called by #cookie and JB to represent #teambasementdwellers.

Not at all. I think we were rooting as much for the THP guys as we were for each other, and I think that will be the same. And I'm sure our team will be slightly different than it was last year, so we'll have some good energy going for this year too.

The biggest thing I can see that's different between this event and just normal driving range practice and weekend play with your foursome, is the nature of match play golf. It's a lot different than stroke play events. When you have to make a 3 footer for a half, most people don't ever try to make those putts playing weekend golf with their friends. That part is tough to adjust to, and the momentum of these kinds of match play tournaments is much, much different than just regular stroke play outings or events.

Playing as much match play as possible leading into an event like this is huge. For me it will be working with my instructor to focus on putting and short game which are also crucial.

After the ZooCrew blew the Dream team's collective mind with a full fitted bag it's a miracle THP could even swing a club, let alone win.
The Basement Dwellers won't be caught off guard this time around, and are ready to rumble.

At The King I played poorly in one match, average in one match and really well in another so I feel so much more equipped knowing the full spectrum of match play emotions.

What I want to know is why THPers feel the need to justify themselves to the "enemy" cap'n? CAPTAIN #Cookie should be the only one we answer too. All others don't matter. Do you really think they are going in with the same strategy? Doubt it. Just a fishin expedition to get information.

If you want to talk trash, talk trash. Just don't show your hand. And only answer to OUR CAPTAIN, #Cookie. Remember, loose lips sink ships.

Just my 2 cents.

Quick question. I promise I'm being honest and not trying to stick in the needle...

Last year, team THP had a great captain and awesome dude, Hawk. Great guy. Team THP also had good golfers. Team THP also said before the match that they would beat team Callaway by using great chemistry and timely, good play. Team THP was defeated easily and soundly (I say that as a matter of fact, not editorializing one bit).

So, what will team THP do this year to get a different, and more desirable to THP, result in the Grandaddy?

It's actually pretty simple, but glad you asked Harry. For the past year, after your "sound" defeat of Team THP, you've gotten fat and happy and complacent. Meanwhile, the THP ranks have swelled, and the hunger for revenge has turned us into a pack of rabid dogs looking for a bone.

If you need further assistance to understand how the situation has change, I direct you to the first 40 minutes of Rocky 3. In short Harry, you haven't been hungry since you won that belt!

What I want to know is why THPers feel the need to justify themselves to the "enemy" cap'n? CAPTAIN #Cookie should be the only one we answer too. All others don't matter. Do you really think they are going in with the same strategy? Doubt it. Just a fishin expedition to get information.

If you want to talk trash, talk trash. Just don't show your hand. And only answer to OUR CAPTAIN, #Cookie. Remember, loose lips sink ships.

Just my 2 cents.

No sweat Gmoney, it's all good!

Everyone will prep the heck out of themselves if selected (some already are prepping themselves) so no secret there. The juicy details all lie in the matchups and prepping your team properly, which Harry will have ZERO insight into.

Harry's sweating a bit....you can see him sitting over there grasping for straws.

Keep grasping Harry, you shall get nothing of true value from these #ZooKeepers.

Harry is asking the same thing I always ask in the Gauntlet thread or King threads.
Some look at it from the Einstein views on Insanity...Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

I am honestly asking what each of YOU will be doing differently to prepare should you be picked for the event...

We see what you are attempting to do here #zooguru and we are 3 steps ahead of of the ploy. Your minions are divided, deep gashes carved between you all during The Gauntlet. By attempting to single us out individually, you seek to somehow divide us too, drag us down to that same competitive disadvantage. #aintgonnahappen. THP is united, no matter which seven warriors join our valiant captain in the siege on Carlsbad there is an army that will not taste defeat behind them.

Work harder, get stronger, play smarter and live in the present while looking to the future. #ZooCrew, #BasementDwellers are coming for you in the #Dos

JM

Attempted humor aside...I will continue to focus my practice sessions on the scoring game. When I play I pay special conscious attention to mental approach and course management. I have started an exercise regime to drop a few pounds. And it helps knowing that - although we are all going to have fun - it is a competitive event.

Pay attention, junior, as I am the ZooCrew captain.

My point is this:

Same strategy coupled with same tactics will deliver the same results. I am honestly asking what each of YOU will be doing differently to prepare should you be picked for the event...

About the same as I do now. But then again, I am a two time city champion, looking to three-peat this year. They call me 'the mayor' here. I would probably spend more time around the putting green than I usually do, just so I can make more of those pressure packed putts. But that's nothing I don't already do leading up to my city championship. As for team strategy, never doubt the creative minds of a bunch of great THPers to come up with a winning team strategy.

And making that first pressure putt is key, because once I hit that first big one, I get into the zone, good things keep happening, and I'll be there with a tissue in case any of the #zoocrew decide to shed a tear.

I probably would be in top shape too. don't work out or run much in the summer, but Fall and Spring are a different story.

~Rock

100 percent agree. I'm fortunate to get a lot of match play experience in during the season but understand that it's not the normal.

I just got done playing (for my 7th year) in the oldest inter-club tournament in the world... An amazing event called The League of the Iroquois between Bellevue, Oak Hill, wannakah and Tuscarora. There's match play pressure and then there's team match play pressure. Completely different animals when you have the pressure of others relying on those 3 footers you mentioned.

Harry is asking the same thing I always ask in the Gauntlet thread or King threads.
Some look at it from the Einstein views on Insanity...Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Well THP is already getting mostly, or all, new players (just assuming, those guys could kill the entries and be back in). A new captain, that will probably strategize differently in certain ways. So the team make up as a whole will probably be different. Again, not a shot at the guys from last year, but you bring up the theory of insanity, and from the team as a whole things are already going to be a little different.

Individually, most people's prep probably sounds the same when typed out online; working short game, tweaking off the tee, etc. However, how each person approaches that work can be different. As far as the competition side, I think the only way to prep for that fully is to get out and get in some match play. It really is a different animal than stroke play.

Once selected it is up to the individual to get better every single day. It's up to the individual to push himself and his game further than they think they ever could. Once Cookie has his team assembled he will devise a game plan that will bring home the W

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This could not be any more of the truth. The match play was absolutely an equalizer for many of the matches (albeit the #ZooCrew came out on top repeatedly). For those of us that are prone to blow up holes *raises hand*, it's just one out of 18 holes and you don't have to spend the rest of the match making up strokes, but just 1 hole. I look forward to seeing who emerges as the participants on both teams and hopefully be able to test some of the THPers that are attending. I've been trying to get my Finley laugh on point for those that will have to play the #OriginalSuperVillain.

Well THP is already getting mostly, or all, new players (just assuming, those guys could kill the entries and be back in). A new captain, that will probably strategize differently in certain ways. So the team make up as a whole will probably be different. Again, not a shot at the guys from last year, but you bring up the theory of insanity, and from the team as a whole things are already going to be a little different.

Individually, most people's prep probably sounds the same when typed out online; working short game, tweaking off the tee, etc. However, how each person approaches that work can be different. As far as the competition side, I think the only way to prep for that fully is to get out and get in some match play. It really is a different animal than stroke play.

I was referring to the way people/golfers practice.

In my prep for the MC, I've already spun my tires thinking just putting in time would make me better, but that's not the case. I've identified weaknesses in my game and am focusing on turning them into strengths. I've finally go traction and making noticeable progress, and if selected that won't stop. Getting to experience this event is motivation enough to work, but having to avenge the #DreamTeam takes it to another level for me.

I was referring to the way people/golfers practice.
Just throwing out some thoughts that popped into my head about anything that's different. It's interesting conversation and fun to be a part of :D I think even if the same guys went in with the same prep they'd be competitive and have a shot at winning. It is only the second one, so I think it's still early to discount any prep that may not have paid off previously (not saying you are).

I was honestly asking trying to get people into the mindset of improvement. There's no "game strategy" or anything like it that will make a material difference in December, in my opinion. You see that every year in the Ryder Cup. It ultimately comes down to guys playing better than the other team. Chemistry is overstated. Matching players is part of it, yes, but there are a bunch of ways to do that effectively...

I was honestly asking trying to get people into the mindset of improvement. There's no "game strategy" or anything like it that will make a material difference in December, in my opinion. You see that every year in the Ryder Cup. It ultimately comes down to guys playing better than the other team. Chemistry is overstated. Matching players is part of it, yes, but there are a bunch of ways to do that effectively...

Agree completely. Can have 2 guys playing their absolute best and they may not win in this format. Have to be smart taking their strengths, weaknesses, chemistry, handicap, etc all into play.

Fun stuff to think about once you know whom is on your team.

Harry, I'm still proud of our team from last year, and followed every post in the live thread as it occurred. I remember our guys hanging very tough until late on day 2 before your team put away the win. I do not remember it as the rout that you guys like to call it. I cannot answer your question of "what would I do differently?" as I wasn't there. I can say that most everyone from THP who is trying to get into this thing this year is very hungry for redemption and will not be underestimating you guys for sure. I for one have been preparing for the Morgan Cup and trying to take my game to the best it can be. If I end up in the Grandaddy Dos, that preparation will continue for another 5 months or so with renewed focus and the experience of the Morgan Cup behind me, which will all be match play and very high intensity. I cannot imagine a better battle test than the Morgan Cup. Perhaps some are signing up for the perks that come with the Grandaddy, and they are quite impressive. But, quite a few that I know are trying to get in just for the fun of coming to kick your collective butts (and I say that lovingly) and get our due revenge. Time will tell.

Back