How do you hit 200 yards?

I am a woman, and a really bad golfer, so I hit 200 yards with a really well struck driver.
Sounds like me and ddec...minus the woman thing

That's a 4-hybrid for me or if it's really windy, maybe a 3H and punched with a 3/4 swing.

I have no choice it's my 3 Hyron and even then I am just trying to get it close if it ends up on the green thats great but it is usually just short or to the side of the green.

My 4 hybrid is in the 200-210 range, so it's an easy swing. Or a normal swing if the depth of the green is greater than 10 yards. I have a better chance of 2 putting for a 4 than chip and 1 putt for a 4.

Short hitter here. 4 hybrid or 5 wood depending on conditions.

4 altitude or 4w depending on conditions and what is around the green, the carry, etc.

This is an interesting topic. My teaching pro was actually talking about this last week. The best tour player from 200 - 225 yards (Sergio, who would have thought that?) is an average distance of 33 feet away from the hole at that distance. 2014 Masters champion Bubba Watson has played 50 rounds this year and his average distance away from the hole from 200 - 225 yards away is a staggering 45'11". From that distance, the average golfer should simply be trying to hit the green or leave himself a chip/pitch shot where he hasn't short sided himself. I rarely find myself at this distance, except on long par 3's or short par 5's. It would be a good 5 iron for me.

If I'm looking at 200, I'm probably hitting 4h, probably land a smidge short and roll up.

No wind I can carry a 5 205-210. So a solid 6 would be the club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an interesting topic. My teaching pro was actually talking about this last week. The best tour player from 200 - 225 yards (Sergio, who would have thought that?) is an average distance of 33 feet away from the hole at that distance. 2014 Masters champion Bubba Watson has played 50 rounds this year and his average distance away from the hole from 200 - 225 yards away is a staggering 45'11". From that distance, the average golfer should simply be trying to hit the green or leave himself a chip/pitch shot where he hasn't short sided himself. I rarely find myself at this distance, except on long par 3's or short par 5's. It would be a good 5 iron for me.

Validates my thinking. From 200+ I'm only thinking solid contact. Sure I'm visualizing a great shot but solid contact with the ball landing anywhere on or around the green is what I reasonably hope for. I think the lowered expectations relaxes me and aids in the result.

This is a horrible distance for me, especially since I've encounter plenty of long par 3 holes right at 200 yards. With my AP2's, 300 is my best/flush shot with a 3 iron and I struggle with hybrids. My 3 wood on a decent shot is 210 off the deck and 230+ on flush shot (230-250 off a tee). If I mis-hit the 3i or 3w I will end up well short of 200, and usually far off line.

I'm hoping this is fixed with my incoming new irons due to the shafts and club specs.

200 yd. - Driver, down hill, tail wind, maybe. Fairway,never.

My 3h is a solod 190-205.. my 2h is 203-215. So it would depend on the lie and the wind.

5-Iron depending on wind factor/slope/etc. - Most players I know around me cannot hit their long irons very well, it's something I tend to hit more often than not when I practice. I even do my routine a bit backwards and hit them first through my bucket rather than the wedges/9

200y is probably the 18* hybrid. I'm not trying anything exotic, just to hit it in the right direction and not flare it out sideways.
80 lbs and 20y ago, it was a 3i. An absolutely perfect 3i, but a 3i.

Thanks to this thread I've taken some advice and really started working on this distance.

I've gotten to where I can make it pretty accurately with my 5 iron if it's down hill and the shot is perfect.

I can get within 10 or so yards, and sometimes long, with my 4.

And I am hitting 215 to 225 with my 3 hybrid, so I can choke it down and swing easy and get it there.

This was a brutal distance for me two months ago. Now, with all the practice and the confidence I've gained reading here (just understanding the approach others are taking), I'm not intimidated by this distance at all. I'm not as accurate as I want to be at it, but there's no more feeling of, "oh ****".

Off the tee I'll pull anywhere from 4hy to 2hy depending on the wind. Off the deck I don't go above a 5hy. If I can hit it perfect I can get to 200y, but it's most likely around 180s. I'm fine with any shot from inside 100y (no uncomfortable distances) so I just try to get it as close as possible.

7 iron and a lob wedge

Trying to pull off that shot can cost me 2 or 3 strokes so I play it safe.

3 wood if I'm going for it. If I'm playing smart it's 2 PWs.

Me too, if the course is really dry and will roll out then its the 3hybrid instead.

7 iron and a lob wedge

Trying to pull off that shot can cost me 2 or 3 strokes so I play it safe.

Thats true, get to within range then attempt a close chip and hope for a 1 putt.
Better % chance than trying to stick it anywhere close from 200 yards.

My 200 yard shot is usually anywhere between a hard 6 iron, 5 iron, or 4 iron depending on slope, where the pin is on the green and how well I'm hitting them that way. But when I was shooting in the low 100's (oddly enough I just shot in the 100's yesterday- off day) and high 90's, when I was in the 195-205 range I would lay up. I would try to get to about 50 yards from the green since I could usually get a pretty good shot onto the fairway 50 yards from the green even if I was hitting it out of the rough - from there it was easier to hit the green. If I tried to go for the green from 200 with a 3 wood, hybrid, or iron I would end up wishing I had taken the smart shot and taken off the extra 2 strokes I collected going for it.

In the end, making the smart play at the time and laying up gave me more confidence since it lowered my score. Eventually, I could hit 175 more confidently. Then 185. Then 195. Now 205 with an iron.

Back