Best Driver of 2014 - THPers Sound Off

I said Big Bertha. Having not hit a ton of drivers this year (4 in total), the Bertha was my definite favourite of the bunch!

I also added to the Bertha love. To be fair, I've only also hit the Bio Cell and the Covert 2.0 - but one swing with the Bertha, even when she wasn't completely dialed in yet (and honestly still isn't 100%) and I was in love. Excellent distance and such a perfect sound.

As it stands right now, I'm going to go with the Callaway X2Hot. Seems darn near difficult to hit a bad shot with that driver. The entire face is very strong, I love how it looks at address, and the stock shaft pairing is perfect for my game. The matte grey frames the ball nicely, and I've always liked the chevron for an alignment aid. I can't really comment on the sound except that it sounds a bit louder and more metallic, which I like because it's similar to the Amp Cell, so I'm not getting a real shift in audible feedback. I've hit a few others this year, Big Bertha, BB Alpha, Ping G25, and Cobra Bio Cell, and the SLDR, and the most complimentary to my game has been the X2Hot. I can't wait to show what it can do in Myrtle Beach.

Yonex is the only one I was interested in this year and they never responded to my emails about where I could hit one.

Big Bertha would be the front runner although I have recently purchased a driver, that I have only used three times that is winning bag time. Nike Covert II is a fairway finder for me which is catching my attention.

I really haven't spent a whole lot of time with many of the new drivers. The Big Bertha, BB Alpha, Adams XTD, and the Ping i25 are the only new drivers that I have hit. I have one round playing with the Alpha under my belt and I liked it, but I did leave it in the bag on the 18 hole to instead use my driver.
I was not really wanting to look at drivers this year, but very tempting, because this was the year to work on swing improvement, not equipment improvement. But with the current offerings out there, it's hard not to peek every now and then.

Big Bertha Alpha, for me.

Distance: nothing really comes close consistently, especially into the wind which is my achilles heel.
Forgiveness: my toe miss is met with a nice push draw back into the fairway with minimal distance loss. The gravity core will help with the high/low face misses and haven't tested out the heel.
Look/Sound/Feel: the midnight blue crown packed with tech is pleasant to look at. The sound is distinct and addicting, and different depending on where the gravity core is. When you pure this thing, it's like swinging through a cloud. Even when you miss with it, the club resists twisting and gives great feedback.
Revolutionary Tech: Gravity Core. That is all that needs to be said.

Honorable mention: Big Bertha (just an amazing club all around and probably the best for the most people so it deserves to win overall), Bio Cell/+ (pure pleasures to hit), Covert 2.0 (improved from last year and silly long for me).

Ah heck, Big Bertha also takes the cake.

Great post Tyler, I'm seeing much of the same. Had some misses this past weekend that were still finding the fairway with respectable distance. And the core is revolutionary....it does what it's designed to do without question.

I havent been able to hit many from 2014, at least where I could see stone cold numbers.
But from the ones I have, my favorite is a tie between the Bertha and the Bio Cell.
Both were very consistent for me off the tee and saw solid distances with the shafts that were in each at the time.

I am suprised how many people get along with the Bertha. I watch a lot of golf and would compare most avg golfers more to the LPGA than PGA tour in terms of distance, swing speeds etc...and most on their tour seem to hit the XHot2 for some reason. I just found that interesting... For me in the little testing I have done with 2014 drivers I would say the big winner was the Bio Cell followed by the XHot 2.

This is a tough question. I have had good moments with several (SLDR, BB, BBA). I settled on the Bio Cell, but that was a tiebreaker decided by price. If money were no object, I think I would go with the Titleist 913 D2.

Ping G25 for me. Relative to the few other 2014 drivers I have hit sparingly, it is so easy to launch and most importantly for me, so easy to hit straight. It is the single biggest reason that I am currently playing the best golf of my life.

I did not fall in love with anything from 2014, my favorite drivers I have hit this year were all last years models.

SLDR low spin plus lofting up equal a deadly combo

G25 82.3% fairways since I bought it new last year. Very easy to work the ball. High launch or a low stinger is easy.

I am suprised how many people get along with the Bertha. I watch a lot of golf and would compare most avg golfers more to the LPGA than PGA tour in terms of distance, swing speeds etc...and most on their tour seem to hit the XHot2 for some reason. I just found that interesting... For me in the little testing I have done with 2014 drivers I would say the big winner was the Bio Cell followed by the XHot 2.

It's funny - going in to my fitting, I was almost certain I'd fit into the X2Hot. It wasn't even close. Ball speed was different by 5mph, and I was definitely straighter with the Bertha. Same shaft length, and trying a number of shafts in each. The stock shaft/head combo in the Bertha just worked best for me.

After trying SLDR, BB, Biocell after a 10 yr haitus from golf.... the Biocell was the perfect compromise between long and straight... I LOVE Fairways in regulation!!!

Bio Cell wins for me with accuracy distance and forgiveness. Also value for money.

588 custom for me. I love the light weight feel.

588 custom for me. I love the light weight feel.

588 Custom is a sleeper for sure. Performed similar to Bio Cell for me with a lighter feel and great value for money. Might have bought it if I spent more time with it.

Back