Tiger paid a convicted steroid dealer?

I agree. Although be obviously did a lot of stupid stuff later in his career, I still, and always will, view Bonds as one of the greatest baseball players (would have said the greatest until that Trout fella came along) I will see in my lifetime. I will take the same stance on Tiger due to the immense talent he possesses.
If this were true...and I'm in no way saying it is...the parallels are so similar down to how the person treated fans and media.

Actually the details appear to be different in the amount of time it was used. That is a major detail.

If it came out that Woods used PEDs (and I am in no way saying he did) the golf world would be a bit interesting in their handling, but the truth is...he would become Barry bonds.

I think it would actually be a worse treatment/reaction than the whole Bonds/McGwire/Sosa reaction in baseball. I can't imagine guys like Player, Arnold, Trevino, Nicklaus, etc etc would want much to do with him or have the name uttered in the same breath as those greats again. It's a bit of a slippery slope.

Thanks for posting WCBM, I actually never saw the original story, though I did hear briefly on the radio the other day about the implications in this new book. Honestly, I'm not sure why it be shocking, considering how many of the top athletes in all sports have been caught. Another common theme? Their bodies seem to break down in their mid 30's and constantly dealing with random injuries...which is consistent with PED use. I'd be more surprised if he didn't use that did to be honest.

What details are different?

The media is getting like Hollywood. They report the news, they revive old stories to sell copy. Hollywood just keeps redoing old stories. Of course TW paid Galea, the doctor doesn't work for free.
yep...we're in one of the slowest news cycles of the year for sportstalk/media (excluding mid to late February). Writers have columns to write and radio talking heads have 3 hours to fill. instead of getting out in the field and doing some actual reporting or talking to people, it's easier to just blow the dust off an old story.

So where would this bring Tiger Woods to? Would he go to a Federal Court or would this be a PGA Tour Comittee decision on what punishment's to give him. If Barry Bonds can grow a head 20 times bigger and not get all his records and accomplishments taken away than I would think Tiger wouldn't lose anything either.

I think it's terrible if he did, For me it will certainly make his wins and domination much less important and historical. When do we get back to a time where a hero is just that, a Hero? I think what's even just as bad is his manager and largest sponsor were probably aware if these allegations come true. I am so over the lying, cheating, and stealing your way to the top, jus over it.

So where would this bring Tiger Woods to? Would he go to a Federal Court or would this be a PGA Tour Comittee decision on what punishment's to give him. If Barry Bonds can grow a head 20 times bigger and not get all his records and accomplishments taken away than I would think Tiger wouldn't lose anything either.

Different type of action and I dont think anything like that would take place. Tiger Woods the golfer won those events and nothing will take that away from him. However public perception, like the case with Bonds would be changed forever. That is a big if however.

FWIW, MLB records are a joke. Where is the asterisk next to Babe Ruth's name for not having to play against black people? The true definition of irony in the people yelling about Bonds.

FWIW, MLB records are a joke. Where is the asterisk next to Babe Ruth's name for not having to play against black people? The true definition of irony in the people yelling about Bonds.

While i get your point, there really doesn't need to be an asterisk for players who play under the same set of rules as their peers at their time. Otherwise every sport would have asterisks due to longer travel, night games, better equipment, etc etc.

In the case of PED's, some players used, some players didn't, during the same time period. Which mean maybe Bonds use PED's against pitchers who didn't, for example. Where as in Ruth's case, everyone played in the same league, and he was bounds better than anyone else in that era.

Its not new news but then again, it is in that there is more evidence regarding Tiger and his possible use of PEDs. In the end, really nothing is going to change. Its not as if the USGA and R&A are going to strip Tiger of any of his wins, even if he was a bigger doper than Lance Armstrong.
For Tiger, anything that links him to Biogenesis certainly isnt a good thing. The last thing he needs are any questions about possible PED use.
At the end of the day though, who really cares? Its just sports, which in the grand scheme of things really doesnt matter. Anyone who is outraged about Tiger maybe using PEDs probably needs to find something more signifigant to get upset about.

I'm not sure if he used PEDs or not. Haney, who seems to always have some sort of dig at tiger these days always said he was there when Galea was and didn't see anything illegal. Seems like the # of visits went up from what was originally disclosed. Seems like all the ones they are pointing to in the story are from Fall of 08 to Fall of 09. Clearly PEDs don't help win majors.

I'm not sure if he used PEDs or not. Haney, who seems to always have some sort of dig at tiger these days always said he was there when Galea was and didn't see anything illegal. Seems like the # of visits went up from what was originally disclosed. Seems like all the ones they are pointing to in the story are from Fall of 08 to Fall of 09. Clearly PEDs don't help win majors.

Yeah, Haney did respond and say he was there for 3-4 of them and did not see anything out of the ordinary.
This story is an interesting one due to the timeline.

Yeah, Haney did respond and say he was there for 3-4 of them and did not see anything out of the ordinary.
This story is an interesting one due to the timeline.

When I read it last night the number of visits and the $$$ jumped out at me. There is a little smoke here, we shall see. I'm not sure I'm going to read the book to find out more at this point.

When I read it last night the number of visits and the $$$ jumped out at me. There is a little smoke here, we shall see. I'm not sure I'm going to read the book to find out more at this point.

I will be, but only because the science fascinates me. It wouldnt change if Tiger was not even mentioned in the book.
But there is definitely more smoke there than before. I still choose to side with the "he didn't" crowd, but last time I did that, he ended up on TV saying he was an addict and needed help.

I will be, but only because the science fascinates me. It wouldnt change if Tiger was not even mentioned in the book.
But there is definitely more smoke there than before. I still choose to side with the "he didn't" crowd, but last time I did that, he ended up on TV saying he was an addict and needed help.

We shall talk after the book. I did read Concescos book and Game of Shadows. For the record I still say he is clean of PEDs.

I can't imagine someone beefing up like he did and now he is having all these injuries.

Seems suspicious to me but I have no real evidence to back up my beliefs.

This story has been around a long time. PEDs are an interesting thing. I think they are far more common than any of us realize.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

To me the timeline of what's been posted all coincides with Tiger's injury to his knee, which is what makes me believe it was all about the blood spinning to help with recovery. However, only Tiger and Galea know the real truth.

I can't imagine someone beefing up like he did and now he is having all these injuries.

Seems suspicious to me but I have no real evidence to back up my beliefs.

I agree that the transformation of TW was rather dramatic. Yes, diet and weight training can have alot to do with it, but I think you also have to consider the individual. I don't think anyone can question his drive to win, but what I will question is his integrity. Whether it be the obvious issue of cheating on his wife, or the "smaller" issues like not calling a penalty on yourself during a round, the man has been proven not to be a saint. For lack of a better way to say it, I truly believe the man likes the 'juice'....the rush of risk, of doing something that others say you can't or shouldn't be doing. It may seem like a bit of a stretch to equate cheating on a spouse to steroid use, but prior to that little car crash would anyone have thought he was involved to the degree that he was?? It wasn't just 1 or 2, it was more like 15-20....and those were just the attention-wh*res that spoke up.

My point and personal belief is he'll do anything possible to push the envelope and I honestly believe he has been on 'roids or HGH for quite some time...most likely after his dad passed.

To his credit, I don't recall Woods bulking up that much more post 2008. So it's hard to imagine he was taking PEDs. He was just barely playing golf. Nonetheless, where is the witch hunt??? Vijay used deer antler spray, and that lead to just a whole cluster with the PGA. A story comes out about Phil and insider trading, and it's all anyone could talk about for 2 weeks (which, Phil was then cleared of that original alleged wrongdoing, despite the government looking into his other 'well timed trades.')

As others said, I agree that this is just another story with nothing in it. We keep trying to make people guilty by association. Phil with that investor dude. Tiger with this guy. Our president with a preacher and professor (and granted, former terrorist from decades ago). Not trying to pick on any one party there. This isn't meant to be political. Just something that popped into my head from recent history. Heck, we even rounded people up long ago just because they 'associated' with communists, even if they didn't know that person was a communist.

It's a problem that has been going on for years, and unfortunately, the news seizes on it because they are a for-profit business, and they print what sells.

I'll look at it closer when someone has some hard proof that Tiger was either A) hiding something, or B) someone says he took something.

~Rock

When I ran track in college, caffeine was considered a PED by the NCAA and you could be banned from competition if you had too high of levels in your urine. So I always find the issue of PED's a bit nebulous because each sport has their own criteria and it's always a bit of a double standard. In cycling, for example I think it's silly to consider EPO treatments a PED when the same result can be achieved by training at altitude. So one gets the benefit from a shot, the other from altitude ... why is one illegal and the other legal?

For amateur sports, I am fine with PED bans because the sports are supposed to be a side issue, not the livelihood (at the time of the competition) ... but for professionals? We're paying them millions of dollars to entertain us. If that's how they choose to go about increasing their value to us (i.e., make us more entertained) than I say go for it. If they want to take on those health problems (e.g., shortened life span) to shine brightly for a few years ... go for it.

I'll look at it closer when someone has some hard proof that Tiger was either A) hiding something, or B) someone says he took something.

~Rock

I believe that proof of 'A' has been well documented.....while it's not PEDs, it shows he's more than capable of crossing this line too. I would even go so far as to say that he would resort to PEDs before he would step out on his marraige. No one had to be present when he took PEDs, meaning there isn't any proof whether he did or didn't take them -- especially if they are untraceable -- only that he purchased something. If whatever he is claiming to have purchased was legal, wouldn't it be something he could have gotten from a standard (i.e. non-convicted steroid pusher) physician or doctor? This all sounds eerily similar to Lance Armstrong and we all saw how that all turned out....... Only real difference is the people were persistent on Lance, that has not happened with TW....yet....

In my opinion, Tiger Woods is a scumbag. He is the greatest golfer of all time major record or not. He changed the way golf is played at all levels. My disdain for Tiger started after the US Open Payne Stewart won. He didn't an interview and came across as a soar loser and cry baby. There is a way to lose with class and I do not care how old he was at the time.

Nothing would surprise me with Tiger. I think Tiger would do anything to win, which includes Ped's. I honestly do not care if he did PED'S and I feel the same way with Baseball players doing it. Tiger's biggest issue is not only was he a best Golfer in the world, he portrayed himself as better person then all other PGA pros and we will all know how that turned out.

I believe that proof of 'A' has been well documented.....while it's not PEDs, it shows he's more than capable of crossing this line too. I would even go so far as to say that he would resort to PEDs before he would step out on his marraige. No one had to be present when he took PEDs, meaning there isn't any proof whether he did or didn't take them -- especially if they are untraceable -- only that he purchased something. If whatever he is claiming to have purchased was legal, wouldn't it be something he could have gotten from a standard (i.e. non-convicted steroid pusher) physician or doctor? This all sounds eerily similar to Lance Armstrong and we all saw how that all turned out....... Only real difference is the people were persistent on Lance, that has not happened with TW....yet....

I refuse to convict people because of their 'character.' But then again, I am a lawyer and that's just sort of how I view things. I could care less that Tiger slept with a bunch of people, waitresses, and 'professionals.' I'm sure he cares, because he hasn't been at the top ever since. Nonetheless, in my opinion, his indiscretions in bed are not a reason to assume or infer that he took PEDs.

~Rock

I think the title of this thread is unfair. Paying somebody money does not make you an accessory to their crimes. I am guessing most people have paid money to someone who turned out to be a criminal before.

does not suprise me he sure looks big as sone as the IOC takes over testing next year i don't think anybody will be get much by them

Back