Stock Market & Retirement Planning

After selling all of my AAPL shares, I am not sure to do now. I think I am in a holding pattern.

After selling all of my AAPL shares, I am not sure to do now. I think I am in a holding pattern.

Here is what I am watching closely and will jump if the drops are as crazy today as they look.

GMCR - Their deal with Coke could be a game changer.
H - If it drops to $59.50 I am jumping in. Expansion plans are tremendous.
CSCO - Below $23 and I light it up. Done this about 10 times with success.

Here is what I am watching closely and will jump if the drops are as crazy today as they look.

GMCR - Their deal with Coke could be a game changer.
H - If it drops to $59.50 I am jumping in. Expansion plans are tremendous.
CSCO - Below $23 and I light it up. Done this about 10 times with success.

Haha I have danced with Cisco several times myself.

Haha I have danced with Cisco several times myself.

Cisco is like easy money to me. I see it roll near $20 all the time, snatch it up and sell it when it goes up a few dollars. It happens every single year.
I absolutely love GMCR, but it needs to drop a tad bit. Their deal with Coke could end up putting Sodastream out of business and being an absolute game changer in the drink industry...All that said, it could flop, but I dont see it.

If you have some play money, look up Sean Williams on The Motley Fool and read some of his 52-week low buying opportunity articles. I've had some pretty good luck after reading those and then doing my own due diligence. Full article does require the free signup.

He got me into GOGO at 11.9 (sold 1/2 at 25), and DDD (3D Printing) at 35 (sold 1/2 at 55, sold 1/4 at 76) and HA (Hawaiian Air) at 5.6 (sold all at 8.7. Wish I was still holding. It's 13 today), along with a few others I'm still holding...most of which are UP for me. I do have a couple of losers. But, I'm holding them for long term purposes. At least, that's what I tell me self. haha.

If you have some play money, look up Sean Williams on The Motley Fool and read some of his 52-week low buying opportunity articles. I've had some pretty good luck after reading those and then doing my own due diligence. Full article does require the free signup.

He got me into GOGO at 11.9 (sold 1/2 at 25), and DDD (3D Printing) at 35 (sold 1/2 at 55, sold 1/4 at 76) and HA (Hawaiian Air) at 5.6 (sold all at 8.7. Wish I was still holding. It's 13 today), along with a few others I'm still holding...most of which are UP for me. I do have a couple of losers. But, I'm holding them for long term purposes. At least, that's what I tell me self. haha.

Yeah, I'm a FOOL Stock Addvisor member. There are a lot of choices right now.

Anyone see the story on Yahoo today about CYNK Technology, sounds like an episode of American Greed in the making... valuation of $4.29B and up 24,000% since 6/17! I'll try to find the article in a few minutes but it's incredible that someone can operate a scam this large.

Cisco is like easy money to me. I see it roll near $20 all the time, snatch it up and sell it when it goes up a few dollars. It happens every single year.
I absolutely love GMCR, but it needs to drop a tad bit. Their deal with Coke could end up putting Sodastream out of business and being an absolute game changer in the drink industry...All that said, it could flop, but I dont see it.

Used to have a similar scenario with a local electronics manufacturing company called Plexus (Plxs). Used to bounce between 16 and 32 consistently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone have any ideas on how to invest on what might be an upcoming hike on interest rates.
I have been buying TIPS but I'm looking for other options.

Anyone have any ideas on how to invest on what might be an upcoming hike on interest rates.
I have been buying TIPS but I'm looking for other options.

Well TIPs are one, but definitely stick to the front end of the curve....by that I mean, buy shorter duration issues and if you want a bit of credit risk you can try corporate FRNs too (floating rate notes). Those will have coupons linked to libor or some other rate, and carry less duration risk than their fixed coupon counterparts.

The US is also offering FRN 2yr notes now as well if you don't want the corporate credit risk.

That said, remember that the statement "rising rates" can depend on where on the curve you are talking about. As an example, just because long term rates are rising, doesn't mean that short term rates will at the same time. Since most FRNs are tied to a short term rate index like libor, it is possible they won't have meaningful yields until said short term rates are hiked, which could be a ways out depending on who you talk to... :)

Thank you
F
CSCO
AAPL

The 3 of you have lived up to the potential.

I bought SEAS today. It's a gamble but well see

I bought SEAS today. It's a gamble but well see

Looks like it might be a decent play 2.8% div. yield will help. They make money. Went to the San Antonio SW over July 4th. Attendance was insane. 1.5-2 hour lines for the rides they offer.

Advise me what's better? Roth 401k or traditional 401k? Why?

Do you want to pay taxes now or taxes later. Only real question there is.
Yep. Most of us have a traditional 401k thru work and will be taxed upon retirement (I think its age 59.5). It's a great idea to also setup a Roth 401k or IRA as those earnings are tax free and will help mitigate the traditional tax.

Advise me what's better? Roth 401k or traditional 401k? Why?

IMO a roth is better.

Would you rather pay taxes on the $10,000 a year you put in now or on the $1,000,000 you take out when you retire?

Yep. Most of us have a traditional 401k thru work and will be taxed upon retirement (I think its age 59.5). It's a great idea to also setup a Roth 401k or IRA as those earnings are tax free and will help mitigate the traditional tax.

Technically speaking you can start taking out at 59.5 assuming you no longer work there but I would never take directly out of the 401k as many have mandatory tax withholding. Your best to roll it to an Ira when you leave or retire so you can control how much and when you pay taxes on it. You don't have to start taking until 70.5. That's required minimum distributions...

IMO a roth is better.

Would you rather pay taxes on the $10,000 a year you put in now or on the $1,000,000 you take out when you retire?

That's always the example I use as work. You put 5000 away today tax deferred and you pull 1000000 out you pay tax on the whole thing in a trad. In a Roth you pay tax on the 5000 up front and wait until 59.5(and 5 year waiting rule) and pull the million out tax free. Sorry Uncle Sam. Can't wait for that loophole to get closed....

If you are self employed or an independent contractor I would highly recommend a SEP. You can plow a significantly higher percentage into it. I used to own my own business and when i sold it I required the buyer to allow me to stay on as an independent contractor rather then W2 so I could keep the SEP love going on. Look into it, you can get to your goals much quicker through a SEP.

If you are self employed or an independent contractor I would highly recommend a SEP. You can plow a significantly higher percentage into it. I used to own my own business and when i sold it I required the buyer to allow me to stay on as an independent contractor rather then W2 so I could keep the SEP love going on. Look into it, you can get to your goals much quicker through a SEP.
I wish I was self employed. Just a corporate america whipping boy lol. I've got a 401k and company funded pension but dont want to rely solely on that after the market crash in 2008.

I wish I was self employed. Just a corporate america whipping boy lol. I've got a 401k and company funded pension but dont want to rely solely on that after the market crash in 2008.

Not right now you dont. :D
Ask again in a couple of years.

My goal,now,that I am clearing up some debt and will have some extra cash I will be looking into different type of investments IRA, maybe one that includes gold and/or silver. Also looking at the market too. Trying to figure out what's best overall long run. Is it pay an investment firm or do most of it on your own?

having retired 1.5 yrs ago @ age 56( with 30 yrs Fed Gov't),I'm drawing a pension from there + drawing on my 401,as well...even with a 10% tax penalty,I've only used 3 Gs of my money,the rest was all interest earned..I started with 84K... I can tell you it was worth the 10%, as I've saved more than that in fuel expenditures. My wife retired from Rubbermaid 3 yrs ago,and has only used 10K of her $114K 401K with all the rest being interest earned..she's drawing $1000/Mo of it. at that rate her $ will last more yrs than she realistically has left... also, when you get close to Soc Sec age, think seriously about drawing early. our financial planner advised against it, but the #s won't work out in your favor. why? because the ave life span for men is 74 and women is 77, or there abouts. playing the %, you'll hardly make up the amount in that time, seeing as it's only about $400/mo difference between 62 and 66...4 hundred bucks before taxes.....don't wait..take it and shove it in a safe in the basement. remember that life rarely works out the way we intend it to. also remember the older you get the more you WILL need Drs...that's life. having cash on hand could really help in what life can throw at you. the REAL secret is being debt free...work on that before anything.

Back