Uber in South Carolina

What is Uber? Can't open site at work.

It's an app that lets you "connect" with, usually IIRC, freelance taxi cab drivers.

Its basically an app that lets you tell a murderer that you're ready for them to come pick you up in their car and haul you off to the woods.

Looks like people renting their personal cars and bypassing paying for a business license, a hack license, and commercial insurance etc.

Its basically an app that lets you tell a murderer that you're ready for them to come pick you up in their car and haul you off to the woods.

As many times as I have taken cabs and used Uber, give me an Uber driver any day of the week.

Just get in like this and you will be fine
hogbuck02w.jpg

Yea I have an issue with them putting taxis out of business in a city where they have to pay for a license and these guys just what enter the market?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As many times as I have taken cabs and used Uber, give me an Uber driver any day of the week.

Same here, it's a lifesaver up here in Boston. Plus, you don't have to take UberX (the cheapest option) if you don't want to, you can also use it to request cabs or black cars if you feel insecure about UberX. Plus, you can track where your car is coming from on the app so that you know exactly when to be outside waiting for it, which is huge during periods of bad weather. As you can tell, I'm a big Uber fan.

I love Uber. It has been a pleasant experience every time we have used them.

Yea I have an issue with them putting taxis out of business in a city where they have to pay for a license and these guys just what enter the market?

I don't. It's about time someone challegened the model to benefit customers.

I don't. It's about time someone challegened the model to benefit customers.

So you just say tough $h*t to the guy that just spent 100,000 on a taxi license from the city? Not sure how that's fair. There is a reason things like this are licensed, safety probably the biggest.

So you just say tough $h*t to the guy that just spent 100,000 on a taxi license from the city? Not sure how that's fair. There is a reason things like this are licensed, safety probably the biggest.

First off, why does a taxi license cost $100,000? Sounds to me like your issue isn't with Uber but with ridiculous legislation that prohibits smaller companies from challenging established providers?

And Ill take a late model care driven by a Uber driver versus the death traps I have been in in New York.

No issue with Uber, I use it up here when I have friends in town or my g/f and I go out.

I do use a traditional cab company for the airport.

Beats waiting on the MBTA...

First off, why does a taxi license cost $100,000? Sounds to me like your issue isn't with Uber but with ridiculous legislation that prohibits smaller companies from challenging established providers?

And Ill take a late model care driven by a Uber driver versus the death traps I have been in in New York.

I dont disagree with this, and have used it, but keep in mind that the insurance factor is a large one and I guarantee the first denied major claim because of UBER is going to make things rather interesting. Commercial insurance costs are high, because the risks are higher.

It would be no different than someone setting up a cooler outside of a bar/restaurant and selling drinks cheaper. Is it right? Up to you, but clearly it benefits the consumer, because the cooler guy/gal did not have to pay for a liquor license, insurance, etc.

• $1 million of liability coverage per incident. Uber holds a commercial insurance policy with $1 million of coverage per incident. This policy covers drivers’ liability from the time a driver accepts a trip request through the app until the completion of a trip. This policy is excess to the driver’s own policy, but it acts as primary insurance if the driver’s policy is not available for any reason, covering from the first dollar. We have provided this coverage since commencing ridesharing in early 2013.
  • $1 million of uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage per incident. In December, we also added uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. In the event that another motorist causes an accident with an uberX vehicle and doesn’t carry adequate insurance, this policy of $1 million per incident covers bodily injury. This is important to ensure that riders are protected in a hit and run.
  • $50,000 of contingent comprehensive and collision insurance.* If a ridesharing driver holds personal comprehensive and collision insurance that is found not to apply, this policy covers physical damage to that vehicle that occurs during a trip, for any reason, up to $50,000 and with a $1,000 deductible.
  • $50,000/$100,000/$25,000 of contingent coverage between trips.** During the time that a ridesharing partner is available but between trips, most personal auto insurance will provide coverage. However the driver is also backed by an additional policy that covers driver liability for bodily injury up to $50,000/individual/accident with a total of $100,000/accident and up to $25,000 for property damage. This policy is contingent to a driver’s personal insurance policy, meaning it will only pay if the personal auto insurance completely declines or pays zero. This policy meets or exceeds the requirements for 3rd party liability insurance in every state in the U.S.

Its a great tool to have in business. You can summon a car at anytime to transport you to a location cheaper then a cap or towncar. A picture of your driver is sent a head of time and the car you have on file is charged. Great to send clients back to hotel after a night on the town or trip to airport. I use it all the time when I travel.

• $1 million of liability coverage per incident. Uber holds a commercial insurance policy with $1 million of coverage per incident. This policy covers drivers’ liability from the time a driver accepts a trip request through the app until the completion of a trip. This policy is excess to the driver’s own policy, but it acts as primary insurance if the driver’s policy is not available for any reason, covering from the first dollar. We have provided this coverage since commencing ridesharing in early 2013.
  • $1 million of uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage per incident. In December, we also added uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. In the event that another motorist causes an accident with an uberX vehicle and doesn’t carry adequate insurance, this policy of $1 million per incident covers bodily injury. This is important to ensure that riders are protected in a hit and run.
  • $50,000 of contingent comprehensive and collision insurance.* If a ridesharing driver holds personal comprehensive and collision insurance that is found not to apply, this policy covers physical damage to that vehicle that occurs during a trip, for any reason, up to $50,000 and with a $1,000 deductible.
  • $50,000/$100,000/$25,000 of contingent coverage between trips.** During the time that a ridesharing partner is available but between trips, most personal auto insurance will provide coverage. However the driver is also backed by an additional policy that covers driver liability for bodily injury up to $50,000/individual/accident with a total of $100,000/accident and up to $25,000 for property damage. This policy is contingent to a driver’s personal insurance policy, meaning it will only pay if the personal auto insurance completely declines or pays zero. This policy meets or exceeds the requirements for 3rd party liability insurance in every state in the U.S.

Im well aware of what they say they have.
Like I said, I guarantee something comes up when a claim is denied or not met.

Im all for less government controlled items. 10000% for that (which you are normally not based on other threads). This, however, will end up costing someone dearly. Not sure if it will be a driver, UBER or passenger yet, but it will happen. Not because its wrong, but because its how the system works.

We live in a country where anyone can open a business and become successful. The system works, its safe and I have yet to be picked up in a broken down car. There is plenty to go around and taxi drivers are become old and tired. Nothing like getting in a cab in NY and the Driver is on the phone, with windows locked and it smells a overseas bazzar.

Im well aware of what they say they have.
Like I said, I guarantee something comes up when a claim is denied or not met.

Im all for less government controlled items. 10000% for that (which you are normally not based on other threads). This, however, will end up costing someone dearly. Not sure if it will be a driver, UBER or passenger yet, but it will happen. Not because its wrong, but because its how the system works.

I got ya.

Maybe its just me, but I also feel safer in an Uber car because that is the drivers own personal vehicle. To me that speaks a little bit more to the potential way in which they might operate.

We live in a country where anyone can open a business and become successful. The system works, its safe and I have yet to be picked up in a broken down car. There is plenty to go around and taxi drivers are become old and tired. Nothing like getting in a cab in NY and the Driver is on the phone, with windows locked and it smells a overseas bazzar.

Agreed. the taxi companies would do better to beat them at their own game and modernize, rather then spend all of their money trying to prevent a legitimate competitor.

I got ya.

Maybe its just me, but I also feel safer in an Uber car because that is the drivers own personal vehicle. To me that speaks a little bit more to the potential way in which they might operate.

I technically did as well.
I believe my analogy above kind of fits however.
It really is no different than me setting up outside of a restaurant and selling drinks for less out of a cooler.

Agreed. the taxi companies would do better to beat them at their own game and modernize, rather then spend all of their money trying to prevent a legitimate competitor.

They would love to. The government wont let them. You dont think the fees are set by the govt? Of course they are.

They would love to. The government wont let them. You dont think the fees are set by the govt? Of course they are.

No argument. But I also don't see the cab companies fighting the fees, I see them fighting Uber from coming to market. Maybe if they focused on the first...

A service the company I work for is Transportation to dr visits and appointments for work comp injuries. Our vendor network has 'self employed' drivers along w/ large taxi companies. The margins for our business are much stronger w/ the independent driver due to them not being a corporation and only have to have personal insurance. Now, we as a company, provide a very lucrative umbrella insurance to cover our drivers when a passage of ours is in the vehicle. Insurance for taxi companies can be outrageous.

We have Uber in Jax but have not used it yet.

Back