Expectations of a Club Fitting/Demo Day

Offshoredoc

Reaction score
Handicap
What should I expect from a fitting/demo day? A local course is having one a week from Saturday and I was thinking about going. I have never been fitted or anything. Been playing a little over a year and am a high handicapper. My typical score is 95-100 and was 115-120 when I first started playing heavily at beginning of last golf season. Was just curious if this was something I could get anything out of and/or if its a good time had by all?

Its a Callaway demo which doesn't matter to me. I have no particulars on club brands.

I find it to be luck of the draw really. Its almost never a true fitting, but truthfully for many golfers, its enough to get started and can be a lot of fun.

Let us know how it goes for you.

Stay away from excessive changes. I have burnt by this twice.

Don't forget those guys are there to sell equipment.

At the very least there will be a lot of OEM's there to try in one place

I always have a good time at demo days - they're fun and you get to try out some new and different equipment.

I think there's no reason not to go. But don't expect a full, accurate and thorough fitting. Use it as a time to hit some new clubs, gain a bit of knowledge, play some different shaft flexes and brands of shafts, and build some experience.

I always have a good time at demo days - they're fun and you get to try out some new and different equipment.

I think there's no reason not to go. But don't expect a full, accurate and thorough fitting. Use it as a time to hit some new clubs, gain a bit of knowledge, play some different shaft flexes and brands of shafts, and build some experience.
Thanks!

I am assuming these are free to attend? Where they get your money is if you buy the clubs I'm guessing...

Yes most demo days are free to attend.

If you ever get serious enough to get lessons, let the guy coaching you give you advice on clubs, shafts ect. This worked really well for me especially since the guy coaching me isn't there to sell me clubs.

If you ever get serious enough to get lessons, let the guy coaching you give you advice on clubs, shafts ect. This worked really well for me especially since the guy coaching me isn't there to sell me clubs.

Keep in mind that this is very much dependent on the teacher.
Many are staffed and while you hope that there is no influence, that cannot be guaranteed.
There is also no guarantee that the teacher understands equipment as well as a fitter.

If nothing else they will have (or should have) their full assortment of clubs to hit. As JB said, it can be hit or miss depending on the rep and what kind of inventory he has to bring. With Callaway putting some of the XHot line on sale now, their might also be additional incentives by the course/range to buy at the demo day. Don't feel pressured, but if you are in the market, it's not a bad thing to attend.

Keep in mind that this is very much dependent on the teacher.
Many are staffed and while you hope that there is no influence, that cannot be guaranteed.
There is also no guarantee that the teacher understands equipment as well as a fitter.

There is no guarantee with anything but just sharing a positive experience that I had personally this year when I decided to purchase a new set of irons. I was fortunate enough to get a guy that truly wanted me have a set of clubs right for me and I have broken 80 twice in a row now at my home course. I think it has a lot to do with his coaching and having the right equipment.

I went to a fitting for Taylormade at Shamrock in Columbus. I'll be honest with you, They tried selling me a bit. When I told them i'm there to really get a feel for the clubs and that I'm generally a callaway guy, they at least walked me through the differences, and why I'd make the jump. They left me be, and it wasn't a bad experience at all.

About to start getting ready to head out.... Should be an interesting day. If nothing else, 18 holes on a pretty nice totally public course will be worth it...

Back