Best Rental Club You Have Ever Used

Smithfaced

Reaction score
Handicap
There has been a thread or two on rental clubs lately and it got me thinking, what is the best rental or loaner club you have ever used?

The last time I was in CA I didn't have my clubs and a buddy of mine asked me to play at the course he worked at. The bag I was given to use had a center shafted Tad Moore putter in it. My putting that day was phenomenal. I didn't have a single three putt and I drained a 25 foot birdie putt on 18. There were a few more 10+ footers that dropped that day. IIRC I ended the day with 26 putts which is still my lowest total ever. He told me I had to take it home with me but I didn't want to take the club from the course. We still joke about that round to this day.

Does anyone else have a story about a rental/loaner club you have used that you wish you could have back?

Sure did. Years ago I was at a resort and they had the King Cobra Titanium. It was head and shoulders better than the driver I was using and upon returning home I had to have one.

Sure did. Years ago I was at a resort and they had the King Cobra Titanium. It was head and shoulders better than the driver I was using and upon returning home I had to have one.

A few months later I called my buddy and told him I would donate a full set to his course if he could send me that putter and they couldn't find it.

I once borrowed some clubs from my Father In Laws neighbor. They were his sons clubs, and the three of us went out and played. He had some BRAND new Vokey wedges that I was spinning like they were remote controlled. He was just in awe of how much spin I was putting on the ball from 120 and in. He said he's never seen anyone in person do that, only on tv watching the PGA Tour. Needless to say, I really wanted to take those wedges home with me.

I once borrowed some clubs from my Father In Laws neighbor. They were his sons clubs, and the three of us went out and played. He had some BRAND new Vokey wedges that I was spinning like they were remote controlled. He was just in awe of how much spin I was putting on the ball from 120 and in. He said he's never seen anyone in person do that, only on tv watching the PGA Tour. Needless to say, I really wanted to take those wedges home with me.

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you buy them to put in your bag?

Just out of curiosity, why didn't you buy them to put in your bag?

Actually I had two IN my bag, however they were both almost two years old...they needed regrooved, or just replaced. Not to long after that, I got on PUD with Mizuno and got new Mizuno wedges instead.

Titleist dci. I immediately replaced my Cleveland VAS when I got home.

I love rental sets! I shot a PB with a set of Adams a7OS in Houston, another PB with Nike Ignites in New Orleans, Nike VRS in Birmingham were sweet and Callaway Big Bertha early 2000's in St. Kitts are all the notables. Then I always wonder if I should buy the set...

Taps away

I love rental sets! I shot a PB with a set of Adams a7OS in Houston, another PB with Nike Ignites in New Orleans, Nike VRS in Birmingham were sweet and Callaway Big Bertha early 2000's in St. Kitts are all the notables. Then I always wonder if I should buy the set...

Taps away

Two PB's with rental clubs? Maybe just play rental clubs everywhere you go?

Two PB's with rental clubs? Maybe just play rental clubs everywhere you go?

I've thought about it. Shows you how mental golf is for me. When there's nothing to lose, that's when I start playing well. In New Orleans, it was my first time play steel shafts and I was running on an hour of sleep, terribly hung over, there for a bachelor party. I was hitting the 6i 180 yards, which is unheard of for me.

Taps away

Back