Looking for a driver that goes further than R9 but sounds the same

rkwon

Reaction score
Handicap
So recently, I borrowed an old Taylormade R9 Driver from a friend and it felt amazing at the range, and most importantly, I just shot my lowest round with the club. Now my question is, is there anyone on the forums that has previously owned an R9 and has found a club that feels just the same(or similar) and consistently goes farther than the R9? The R9 for me goes about 270 total for me(high fade ballflight). I currently own a Nike Covert Tour 1.0 but just hates the way it sounds/feels and it has also been pretty inconsistent for me. Thanks guys.

I would definitely give the Bertha a look. Best sounding driver I have used, maybe ever and is very forgiving.. And LOOOOONG

I would definitely give the Bertha a look. Best sounding driver I have used, maybe ever and is very forgiving.. And LOOOOONG

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into giving it a try.

How long is a piece of string? Every driver released since the R9 claims to be longer so that's part one answered. As for the sound, that's very subjective and individual. I think the Cleveland XL Custom is the best sounding driver out but that's just my opinion. Best thing to do is go to a shop and try out numerous drivers. Others on here will say maybe it was just the shaft working for you etc etc etc. To save them the bother just go and get a proper fitting and be done with it.

The Titleist 913d3 sounds pretty darn good.

The Covert Tour 2.0 has a much more tamed sound than it's older brother.

Just purchase a used R9, nothing better out.

SLDR time for you to try and #LoftUp

I had an R9 and used it for about 2 years. I personally believe that the R9 is the best driver that TM has put out. I have since went through a few drivers and am now set with my 913d3. It feels and sounds great.

The R9 was a fantastic driver from TaylorMade. Not the most forgiving driver, and subsequent releases by them that year added forgiveness across the face in the 40 model and then the SuperTri. It was a solid release schedule on their part. The sound was a thud and that was both mellow and crack sounding. The closest thing to that right now would be the Callaway Big Bertha and the Ping G25. Both of which are more forgiving across the face with the Bertha getting a mild nod on my part due to a new technology in adjustment that actually works really well.

The newer TaylorMade models SLDR and SLDR S along with JetSpeed are going to be less forgiving across the face in my opinion and based on the science of CG placement. They are solid drivers without a doubt, but if you are looking for something similar to the R9 (which I played and loved), those would be a pretty huge departure.

I would assume you are looking for A similar feel as well you might give the SLDR, Covert Tour 2.0 or Cleveland Classic a go most of Callaways & Titleist driver feel softer faced to me

I went from a 2008 driver to a 2014 and saw maybe 7 to 10 yards and maybe not as it might be just honeymoon placebo. I also am better at golf now so my strike is better. If you hit the R9 great I would game it and spend money elsewhere.

Back