Golf Digest's change

Not to defend them, but they will write whatever sells copies of their magazine. Evidently things like Paulina Gretsky and weed will do that. Then again, I don't subscribe or buy their magazine off the stand, mostly because most of what's in there doesn't interest me. I can look at Paulina anywhere and I could care less about weed on the golf course.

~Rock

Article bothers me about as much as someone on the course toking... NONE at all.

Whatever floats your boat. I couldn't imagine playing golf while high.

Just one part of golf. I would rather they talked about weed among golfers than Paulina Gretzky's stretching routine.

I have disagreed with something more in my life.

They do. Now let me know when Golf Digest has a feature on those.

This month they did. Interesting stuff there too. Beer does not help anyone's game.

I don't know that I have ever seen someone smoke weed while on a golf course.

Last round we had a skunk in front of us at every tee box. Sure didn't help their game. They played almost as slow as most tour pros do....

This month they did. Interesting stuff there too. Beer does not help anyone's game.

I thought they confirmed the old philosophy that 1-2 is helpful, but any more than that & you go down fast.

To be fair, my quote was about drunk driving and speeding, not about drinking while playing.

To be fair, my quote was about drunk driving and speeding, not about drinking while playing.
That was in there too :) (well, drunk driving & speeding in golf carts)

As for GD in general, it seems the mag has transitioned from strictly golf instruction, equipment, and interviews with current/former players to a more pop culture oriented view...and it seems to have started around the issue with Paulina Gretzky, or maybe the one with Palmer and Kate Upton. Not only is the magazine about 20 pages lighter each month now, they are writing about current affair-ish topics. Celebs that play golf, weed on the course, music on the course, drunk cart driving, etc. My opinions on the mag itself are somewhat mixed, because some of the articles I find interesting but the others I find myself skipping past...only to realize how little golf content is actually contained in the issue. I think I paid like $5 for a 2 year subscription, so I guess I'm getting what I paid for...

As for the theme of this thread, I'll be honest and admit that 7-10 years back I took a couple of hits prior to going to a range to hit some balls....and the results were terrible. I wasn't stoned out of my mind, rather just buzzed and relaxed. I thought it would allow me to focus and concentrate a little better -- which it did (or so I thought) -- but my swing never felt in sync and it was a pretty much useless session. As for others partaking, I don't have a problem with people enjoying their own vices provided it doesn't impact me.

I find it interesting how wide of a gap exists on this topic in this thread. So let me pose a related question, what are the thoughts on cigars on the course? Speaking from experience, some cigars can have a similar effect as weed....although it doesn't last nearly as long. For those that say no way to weed, are you ok with a playing partner smoking a cigar?

As a GD subscriber for many years now, I have noticed what I would consider a "decline" in the magazine's content. I also receive Golf magazine, and based on the last 4 or 5 issues, I would say that I may have to think long and hard the next time my GD subscription comes due.

With online content becoming more prevalent, I guess traditional media forms have to change with the times in order to remain competitive, and I suppose that opens the door to focusing on celebrities, indirect golf related topics, etc. I guess that makes me a traditionalist - I questioned why Jimmy Fallon or Paulina Gretzky would earn the cover of a golf magazine when neither are professional golfers.

As a GD subscriber for many years now, I have noticed what I would consider a "decline" in the magazine's content. I also receive Golf magazine, and based on the last 4 or 5 issues, I would say that I may have to think long and hard the next time my GD subscription comes due.

With online content becoming more prevalent, I guess traditional media forms have to change with the times in order to remain competitive, and I suppose that opens the door to focusing on celebrities, indirect golf related topics, etc. I guess that makes me a traditionalist - I questioned why Jimmy Fallon or Paulina Gretzky would earn the cover of a golf magazine when neither are professional golfers.
I feel the same way, my last 3 or 4 issues are sitting by my desk unopened. Part of that is because I have not had a lot of free time lately, but a big part of it is Jimmy Fallon did not make me want to open it up to see what kind of fascinating golf insights he has.
I get that they are probably trying to reach a new audience, but it will be at the expense of some of their current subscribers.

As for GD in general, it seems the mag has transitioned from strictly golf instruction, equipment, and interviews with current/former players to a more pop culture oriented view...and it seems to have started around the issue with Paulina Gretzky, or maybe the one with Palmer and Kate Upton. Not only is the magazine about 20 pages lighter each month now, they are writing about current affair-ish topics. Celebs that play golf, weed on the course, music on the course, drunk cart driving, etc. My opinions on the mag itself are somewhat mixed, because some of the articles I find interesting but the others I find myself skipping past...only to realize how little golf content is actually contained in the issue. I think I paid like $5 for a 2 year subscription, so I guess I'm getting what I paid for...

As for the theme of this thread, I'll be honest and admit that 7-10 years back I took a couple of hits prior to going to a range to hit some balls....and the results were terrible. I wasn't stoned out of my mind, rather just buzzed and relaxed. I thought it would allow me to focus and concentrate a little better -- which it did (or so I thought) -- but my swing never felt in sync and it was a pretty much useless session. As for others partaking, I don't have a problem with people enjoying their own vices provided it doesn't impact me.

I find it interesting how wide of a gap exists on this topic in this thread. So let me pose a related question, what are the thoughts on cigars on the course? Speaking from experience, some cigars can have a similar effect as weed....although it doesn't last nearly as long. For those that say no way to weed, are you ok with a playing partner smoking a cigar?

Its not even close to the same thing. Yes while some cigars can be really really strong they might make you a little nauseous and dizzy it is not the same as weed. Cigars may be relaxing especially Cubans but the effects aren't even in the same ball park.

I'm with those on here of the opinion the magazine is on a significant decline and uninteresting now. Not much content keeps me interested anymore, at least as far as what they seem to be publishing these days. I won't renew my subscription next year. It's just not worth the money.

Every time Golf Digest posts an article saying that a $180 dollar belt a must have, I think somebody needs to lose their job.

One nice thing is the number of top rated instructors now posting tip articles. Oh, and the latest issue didn't reek of perfume.

Back