Branding/Reputation - How much does it affect what you play?

I don't think it does all that much. Since joining THP certain brands that I thought were more style than function (Cobra specifically) became much more appealing to me as I saw how many people were having success with them.

The biggest thing is what fits your swing, IMO. I don't think there's a brand I'd reject out of hand right now, when even a couple of years ago I would have been more inclined to do so.

Hmmm I dont really gravitate towards one brand or the larger brands but I do try and play stuff that fits me, feels good and also least important but I will admit I care looks good.

That said I tend to look in the direction of companies that support the site and have a social presence first before looking elsewhere. I look at Callaway stuff every time I am in a golf store simply because the #zoocrew is so engaged not only on THP but all over the net. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find the magic Callaway club this year to kick what I have out of the bag. The Apex/Apex Pros would be in the bag in any other year but I am really in love with my irons this year so much so that they may make it the full year without being swapped

Not so much for me. However I will say that whenever Callaway or Bridgestone put out new equipment I will be interested. That's because I am a fan of those two oems and I cannot deny that. Also I must disclose this: as a gear Ho I must try everything sooner or later lol

Not so much for me. However I will say that whenever Callaway or Bridgestone put out new equipment I will be interested. That's because I am a fan of those two oems and I cannot deny that. Also I must disclose this: as a gear Ho I must try everything sooner or later lol

I am with you on the last part. When new stuff is released I try my best to get my hands on it.

THP has been transformational for me. In years past I played "lesser" gear because of budget or perceived skill level. I now realize numerous companies make extremely high quality gear and it is wrong to assume quality by brand.

I'll say this- THP has truly opened my eyes to a ton of companies that I would never have gamed prior to my joining. And I can't thank THP enough for it.
This. Totally this. I never would have probably played Cobra equipment before THP. Now I've almost transformed my whole bag to Cobra. I will give any brand a shot now.

I've always been a gear head and have, for whatever reason, always tended to love gear that your everyday person has never heard of. But early on in any hobby I've enjoyed I looked at the big brands first.

My perspective is a little different being in golf retail, but I tend to give attention to the equipment brands that have sales reps that are the most attentive to my needs at my store. If they answer calls and reply to emails, I tend to gravitate towards trying their products. If I don't get much help from their rep when a question comes up, I will still try their equipment, but it will not be with as open minded an outlook as it could be.

Have been playing for over 40 years. Have pretty much played them all. One company I keep returning to is Callaway. Reputation and my personal experience with the product keeps me brand loyal. I will try other stuff from time to time but if it doesn't show a hugh difference I will not change. IMO best customer service, Best equipment suited for my game. Confidence in your equipment is key to a good mental approach to the game. Helps navigated that toughest 6 inches in golf.

Branding/Reputation - How much does it affect what you play?

THP has been a tremendous resource for what I consider real, everyday golfer feed back - and I really take everyone's feedback about whatever product each of you has reviewed and tested into account

That being said, and after countless hours of research, here are my 'typical' or 'general' biases before THP:

-irons: mizuno
-hybrids: Adams
-drivers: TM, Callaway, Titleist
-wedges: Titleist, Callaway, Cleveland
-putter: Scotty, PING, Odyssey

All things considered, thanks to THP, I place far less emphasis on my said 'biases' and am way more open to trying all manufacturers and finding what's best for my game

At the end of the day, what matters most to me is what helps me get from the first hole to the 18th in the fewest strokes, and I've found a very happy medium right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'll say this- THP has truly opened my eyes to a ton of companies that I would never have gamed prior to my joining. And I can't thank THP enough for it.

Like several others, I also agree with this. I have no doubt need guilty of brand snobbery in the past but no more with my new found knowledge of all things golf equipment thanks to THP.

THP has opened my eyes up as well. I now have a set of PING I20's. Seemore X2 putter, cobra bio cell 3/4 wood. I20 gap and I20 sw because of reviews on THP as well as just simply asking questions. THP'rs have been great to help me out. I do not have a golf shop within 100 miles or so to my home, that leaves me leaning on folks here to pass along their thoughts and experiences with golf equipment. Thanks.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

I buy and game the equipment that looks good to me, fits my game and performs well.
For several years I played Cobra, then I went to Callaway, now I am with Taylormade.
I've always had a mixed bag with irons and woods, but my current set up is the closest to being one brand.

I certainly am not a brand snob and will try anything that I think might remotely help my game or fit my swing. I rely a lot on user reviews of products, and that is how I found THP--searching for club reviews on Google. There are quite a number of different brands represented in my closet to prove that. That being said, there are certain brands that I gravitate towards naturally. That's because I've had good results from them in the past, or they've impressed me with their customer service, support of THP, and lately, even because of their approach to proactively reaching out to their customer base through social networking (mostly Callaway). Beyond that, I'm a club ho, like a lot of y'all.

I have to say, like many others, THP has opened my eyes to a lot of brands that I never even would have known about prior to joining. I also think my dad, a fairly regular golfer, falls in the category of the uninformed who thinks a velocity is the same as a Pro V1 because it is from Titleist. Even avid golfers seem to have to go out of their way to overcome the marketing and get the facts.

I play whatever works best for me. I don't care what the brand or reputation is, if it works best for me, it's going to be in my bag.

I used to be pretty brand loyal and would only play gear from Japanese companies (I figured the best cars come from Japan, why not the best golf gear too?) and wouldnt even try anything else but more recently, Ive gotten more open minded and actually find it fun to try new gear, even from companies that I dont really care for.
Theres nothing wrong with trying something new. You never know what you might be missing. Theres still companies that I dont much care for and wouldnt spend my hard-earned money on but if a friend offers to let me try it or I find a ball on the course, why not?
Dont get me wrong though, I would never profess to have no bias anymore. I still prefer products from Mizuno, Bridgestone, Srixon/Cleveland and Yonex but I'll put any club in the bag if it works. I mean, I rented a set of TM clubs recently when I vacation and liked them so much that I came home and bought a used RBZ 3-wood off of Ebay.

I have 2 friends I play with. The one uses nothing but Nike everything, and I mean everything. The other one used to be 100% Taylormade but has since lightened up. Both of them look down on my Wilson Staff irons and golf balls. I'll give any brand a shot.

I'm a Titleist homer, but not to the point that I won't try or buy anything else.
I am influenced by brand but I'm not really a brand-loyal guy.

I have 2 friends I play with. The one uses nothing but Nike everything, and I mean everything. The other one used to be 100% Taylormade but has since lightened up. Both of them look down on my Wilson Staff irons and golf balls. I'll give any brand a shot.

This is my brother hahaha. He liked my TM R11S driver that he borrowed when he visited me in WA, but when I offered to sell it to him for a good price he hedged because it didn't have that damn swoosh on it lol.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

As you can tell by my sig...I'm not very brand loyal haha. If it works for me, I'll game it - couldn't care less what logo it has on it. That being said though, there are a few brands I tend to look to first for certain clubs based on past experience.

I have tried lots of brands but I always end up back with Ping irons, TM drivers, Titleist wedges, and putters have been a revolving door until this year when I found the Nike MC.

RTR '14

This is my brother hahaha. He liked my TM R11S driver that he borrowed when he visited me in WA, but when I offered to sell it to him for a good price he hedged because it didn't have that damn swoosh on it lol.

I like that your brother loves the swoosh!

I like that your brother loves the swoosh!

He loves those VR Pro Combos man! I've not really ever been a fan of Nike clubs, but those irons are an exception. Really great clubs.

Back