JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I am quickly becoming infatuated with these incredible grills. Many know the brand Big Green Egg, but truly there are tons of brands out there. Do any of you have one and if so, what are your thoughts?

Whoa. Consider this the 4,783rd thing I wouldn't know about without THP. But after a quick google search, I want one.

I had to google it because they sound awesome. And then I saw the price tag. I would love to try some food off of one though.

I have one, compared to the BGE they are very similar, for the price difference it's a no brainer.

I usually only do pork butts or ribs on mine, I have a pork loin on my grill right now I should have fired the Komodo up for...

• Admin
I have one, compared to the BGE they are very similar, for the price difference it's a no brainer.

I usually only do pork butts or ribs on mine, I have a pork loin on my grill right now I should have fired the Komodo up for...

I thought Kamado was the type and BGE was the brand?

My FIL has one and I like it. I have noticed when he smokes stuff it seems a little dry, but I feel that is more on him then the grill. I have thought about getting one when my grill bites the dust. For the price difference I would definitely go with the Kamado.

I thought Kamado was the type and BGE was the brand?

I believe you are correct. Kamado as I understand it is the style of grill, based on shape and material (ceramic).
BGE and Komodo are brands.

BGE being the more expensive
Komodo being a lower priced model.

• Admin
I believe you are correct. Kamado as I understand it is the style of grill, based on shape and material (ceramic).
BGE and Komodo are brands.

BGE being the more expensive
Komodo being a lower priced model.

Thanks brother.

hero-classic-cart-red.png
This is the one my father in law has. They do have one that is 24" instead of 18" they stay hot for a long time which is nice.

Just saw that one Woody. Good looking. The idea that temp can stay put for 12 hours is tremendous at both low and high temps. Smoking apparently is incredible as is making coal fired pizzas and more.

Will likely be getting one in a few years once we buy a bigger house. Perfect for wood/coal fire pizzas.

Will likely be getting one in a few years once we buy a bigger house. Perfect for wood/coal fire pizzas.

We have a great infrared propane grill that we love. But I have wanted a solid smoker for a long time and I have wanted a pizza oven for a long time. When you add up those costs, the Kamado kind of makes sense.

I want one when I build my deck on the back of the house I will build it in.

We have a great infrared propane grill that we love. But I have wanted a solid smoker for a long time and I have wanted a pizza oven for a long time. When you add up those costs, the Kamado kind of makes sense.

Yeah it does everything really well. Kind of like a Swiss army knife of grills.

Love my indirect smoker for smoking
Love my Weber Genesis for bbqs and quick dinner
Love my Weber charcoal clamshell when there's no rush

Been pondering getting the pizza attachment for my Weber clamshell so we can make coal fire pizzas

Won't hold heat like the kamado, but it should hold me over for a few years when I'm ready to take the plunge

Full disclosure, I do not have one. I have eaten just about everything off the one Woody pictured as my Bro has one. Solid, solid, solid tool for grilling, smoking or just about everything. He hasn't done pizza yet, but it is next on the menu. Lobster and whole chickens were delightful.

JM

Pizza... Never thought of that!
Must Try!

I LOVE my BGE it was the one thing that was non negotiable in my divorce (I am serious) you can sear simething at 650 degrees or smoke something for 15 hours at 225 degrees. I am doing a pizza tomorrow night on mine will take some pics. Pizzas are amazing in them

Thanks Shane. Must see pics.

Full disclosure, I do not have one. I have eaten just about everything off the one Woody pictured as my Bro has one. Solid, solid, solid tool for grilling, smoking or just about everything. He hasn't done pizza yet, but it is next on the menu. Lobster and whole chickens were delightful.

JM
Well this has certainly caught my attention.

It was awesome Pete. Butterflied Tails. The smoke that got into the meat was soooo good. Have had ribs, butts, shoulders, steaks, lobsters, chickens, slow cooked whole wings are sinful by the way, salmon smoked and on cedar plank and just plain old burgers and dogs.

We want one, but have just not pulled the trigger......

JM

I'm in the market for a new grill. Price point is a bit higher than I wanted to go, but I'm very intrigued. Wood fired pizza!

This, a BGE or something similar is on the, "someday" list. They really are worth every penny if you use them a lot.

I'm in the market for a new grill. Price point is a bit higher than I wanted to go, but I'm very intrigued. Wood fired pizza!
As far as price, I bought mine in 2006 I have not wanted anything different since I got it (I use to get something new every couple.of years) so the 700 I spent on BGE has actually saved me money

I'm coming out of a Jennair. That I've had for 12 years. I'm assuming no rotisserie options are available for these?

I don't have one but the concept is spot on. Ceramic is much better for heat retention so it should require less fire to maintain temperature. Downside is that they're heavy as hell. I've always wanted to try one

Back