thedue

Another Day in Paradise
Reaction score
Handicap
I really never thought that getting my irons fitted to me would make a lot of difference. I hit the ball pretty well. A miss was generally left, so I played for it. Out of curiosity, I stopped to check out a private club in town that I'd heard was really nice and had a very good club fitter. I must say, the experience was extremely cool from the very beginning. These guy's were way nice, even had time to do the fitting right then and there.

He had me warm up a bit while he watched my swing, then had me hit a club of his, (6 iron), a few times off a black metal plate that had a small dimple the ball would set on. When I was comfortable with that, he taped the bottom of that club and had me hit three balls with it. Then he taped my six iron and I hit three more balls. At this point he pulls out another six iron, that was taped, and had me hit that 3 times. Let me tell you, at address this G15 was perfect. I had been hitting some great shots before, but wow. Straight as a string and the ball had this funny second lift that seemed to take it another 20 yards further.

Once inside the pro shop he wrote down that I needed 1/2" shorter and 2 degrees flat. He showed me the bottom of the clubs and explained the entire thing very well even though he didn't have a bender and being they are Nickents and can't be sent to the company, he's getting virtually nothing out of it. Charged me a whooping $10. I'll be taking these some where to have bent very soon, but what a deal. I'm a believer now.

thedue, sounds like you had a pretty good experience.

i went to golf galaxy for an iron fitting this past week. i've been playing TM burner bubble 2 irons since 1999 (i got them as a gift, so standard length, lie angle, S-90 shafts) and was curious if i need anything special. turns out, standard set up works well for me. i hit some balls on the monitor as well and found my current clubs were as good or better than anything else i hit (G15, TM burner, King Cobra SZ). i was surprised that the technology wasn't helping me so much. anyone else notice this?

Good to see you had a nice fitting experience,
im going to continue working on my swing and hope to have a fitting before the summer

thedue, sounds like you had a pretty good experience.

i went to golf galaxy for an iron fitting this past week. i've been playing TM burner bubble 2 irons since 1999 (i got them as a gift, so standard length, lie angle, S-90 shafts) and was curious if i need anything special. turns out, standard set up works well for me. i hit some balls on the monitor as well and found my current clubs were as good or better than anything else i hit (G15, TM burner, King Cobra SZ). i was surprised that the technology wasn't helping me so much. anyone else notice this?

Fallout, welcome to THP. As short as I am it stands to reason I would have too long of clubs, but amazing how much difference it made. Glad to hear your older clubs are working great for you. My old Irons were about 20 years old and going to the new Nickent Pro's has added at least 10 yards, possibly more, along with more accuracy.

You get a chance, go to the Check In Desk and tell us about yourself.

Great post due! When I was fitted for my x-22's it felt a little sketchy at first hitting my clubs off of that very hard piece of plastic, did it feel like that to you?

It is amazing what a good fitting can do. Some people don't need it, but I know I really benefited not only from the basics of hitting off a lie board, but also from a launch monitor fitting. I knew that I needed flatter and shorter, since I'm only 5'5 but I also wanted to make sure I got the clubs that gave me the best ball speed across the face and gave me the best #'s with the shafts that I tried.

Have you had your driver fitted? I gained 10-20 yards by getting fitted properly on my driver, it's a great feeling knowing you are playing the best setup for you. It adds confidence and now I can't blame the clubs :)

It is amazing what a good fitting can do. Some people don't need it, but I know I really benefited not only from the basics of hitting off a lie board, but also from a launch monitor fitting. I knew that I needed flatter and shorter, since I'm only 5'5 but I also wanted to make sure I got the clubs that gave me the best ball speed across the face and gave me the best #'s with the shafts that I tried.

Have you had your driver fitted? I gained 10-20 yards by getting fitted properly on my driver, it's a great feeling knowing you are playing the best setup for you. It adds confidence and now I can't blame the clubs :)

What exactly do they do for a driver fitting? do they specifically just look at the shaft?

Great post due! When I was fitted for my x-22's it felt a little sketchy at first hitting my clubs off of that very hard piece of plastic, did it feel like that to you?

Yeah, it was pretty crazy the first few swings. I wasn't sure I could hit the ball, lol. I'm going to have it done on my Burner irons as well and he can send those in.

Yeah, it was pretty crazy the first few swings. I wasn't sure I could hit the ball, lol. I'm going to have it done on my Burner irons as well and he can send those in.

I just noticed that you said nickent first and your burners are in your signature. Why not get the burners done first if you use those more often? :confused2: Hitting off of that board made me feel like my irons had a ton more bounce!

I've only been out twice so far this year, once with the Nickents and once with the Burners, both just stock. So far I like the Nickents much better.

The guy told me he would do the driver too. Not sure what that takes.

I've only been out twice so far this year, once with the Nickents and once with the Burners, both just stock. So far I like the Nickents much better.

The guy told me he would do the driver too. Not sure what that takes.

Ahh I see, speaking of going out I have a tee time in about an hour,:banana: i'll catch up on this thread when I get back :clapp: Congrats on the fitting due!

Ahh I see, speaking of going out I have a tee time in about an hour,:banana: i'll catch up on this thread when I get back :clapp: Congrats on the fitting due!

Thanks. Good luck out there.

good stuff due.
i cant believe how straight i hit my irons now. (fitted 2 degrees upright)
same as you where its much more penetrating and takes a lift through the flight.
just great to watch when you hit them.

Fittings are good stuff!

Fittings are good stuff!

Great stuff Due! A proper fitting is a way to give yourself the best possible opportunity to play your best game. It's not going to put you on Tour :D,,, however it does give you an opportunity to play at your optimum....

No tour? :D

Thanks guy's. I really had no idea what I was missing. I can't wait to have both sets done. Another part of the story I never mentioned, while in the pro shop the pro there asked if I'd ever considered joining there? I laughed and said no, it was extremely nice and a bit out of my meager means. He tells me they have this special going on and I should check it out. Next thing I know he has me over to the club house meeting the club manager and staff, then they take me on a tour through the place, even the kitchens, lol. The place is very nice.

I finally mention that I would come play some time and check out the course to see if I enjoyed it, yep he asked if I had time for a round right then. So, I'm playing this really cool, swanky course and on number three some older gentleman stops his cart and say's hey, all alone? We played the rest of that 9 holes and back at the club house he calls the manager over and re-introduces us, lol. Tells the guy "Duey here needs to join", see what you can do! :D I'm cracking up to myself. After the round the manager told me this was a very wealth older patron and I was a shoe in now, lol. The whole day was a blast, but I still can't afford the place.

Good stuff Duey. Sounds like a great day with the fitting and the royal country club treatment.

Good stuff Duey. Sounds like a great day with the fitting and the royal country club treatment.

Yeah, it was pretty crazy cwill. If I ever hit the lotto I'll join and invite everyone to play here for the Midwest, lol.

It's like you've been wearing shoes two sizes too small and not knowing it and now have a pair of shoes that fit. My irons are +0.75 and 2º upright. It makes a big difference. :)

Last edited:
Duey, glad you had a great fitting experiance! Its suprising what little changes can make!

Ive been thinking about getting a custom shaft in my driver as opposed to the stock shaft.
Does anyone know where i could have this done? If so where? Also, what would be the cost?

Driver fitting

Driver fitting

Sherwood -- You should be able to find your club manufactor on facebok. Ask the question where is a good fitter in your general area. I believe they will be glad to help. Some club fitters knock the price off a new purchase if you get the fitting done with them. For an existing driver they will direct you to a fitter. Another thing is to call one of your local golf courses and ask them to recommend a good fitter and cost for you. Good luck!

I really never thought that getting my irons fitted to me would make a lot of difference. I hit the ball pretty well. A miss was generally left, so I played for it. Out of curiosity, I stopped to check out a private club in town that I'd heard was really nice and had a very good club fitter. I must say, the experience was extremely cool from the very beginning. These guy's were way nice, even had time to do the fitting right then and there.

He had me warm up a bit while he watched my swing, then had me hit a club of his, (6 iron), a few times off a black metal plate that had a small dimple the ball would set on. When I was comfortable with that, he taped the bottom of that club and had me hit three balls with it. Then he taped my six iron and I hit three more balls. At this point he pulls out another six iron, that was taped, and had me hit that 3 times. Let me tell you, at address this G15 was perfect. I had been hitting some great shots before, but wow. Straight as a string and the ball had this funny second lift that seemed to take it another 20 yards further.

Once inside the pro shop he wrote down that I needed 1/2" shorter and 2 degrees flat. He showed me the bottom of the clubs and explained the entire thing very well even though he didn't have a bender and being they are Nickents and can't be sent to the company, he's getting virtually nothing out of it. Charged me a whooping $10. I'll be taking these some where to have bent very soon, but what a deal. I'm a believer now.

guys like that are what keep the golfing industry alive

sounds like you had a good time duey.

What exactly do they do for a driver fitting? do they specifically just look at the shaft?

It all depends on where you get fit.
Good fitters will have you hit your current driver on a launch monitor (there are a number out there, trackman generally regarded as one of the best but very expensive), I was fitted at a Callaway Performance Center and they have a pretty high end setup that costs a lot of $$.

They will take those numbers from an average of a few swings after you are warmed up (launch angle, back spin, side spin, angle of attack, ball speed/smash factor, etc) and discuss your goals. If you want to stick with your current head and just optimize that w/ a different shaft or if you are open to a whole new driver setup. The latter is where you get most improvement in most cases.

From that point the fitter should have you hit a number of different heads (loft, tour/non-tour, brand, model) with a number of shafts. Discussing numbers and what appeals and feels good to you along the way.

A good fitter will be able to look at your baseline and understand what type of shafts will work best (some shafts are more forgiving for people that hit down on the ball, some lower spin for players with a larger + angle of attack, faster swing speed, etc) and will start to steer you in the right direction.

I think the key is to work with a fitter who is great at communicating with the customer and who has the tools and club offerings to get you fit properly. I got fit for irons and driver at the same time. Spent over 2 hrs hitting different stuff. With the driver we spent more time vs irons since there are so many more combinations with shafts and heads. There are so many variables and different ways to fit into good numbers. I was a high spin player so we tried using some different lofted heads with mid spin shafts, high loft heads w/ low spin shafts, high loft tour heads w/ higher cg's and various shafts...there are just so many options.

Hope that helps.

Back